Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 5

Old 03-04-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 5

Last part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-4-a-20.html (Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 4)

D
Old 03-04-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quiet up in here! Hope all are well.

Scotty glad you are noticing that it is AV as opposed to the actual truth. It is tough when booze = reward for so long to not have it available. I think your compassion for fall down lady shows your kindness and insight.

Well. Pretty good night last night. All with drinkers. Had super good mocktail and later a milkshake. Like a kid! Yum!! Now up for yoga and yard work and work. But I am determined to NOT go physically into the office this weekend. That is burning me out. Back later. Bye!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

scottynz, I can completely relate to the desire to "reward myself" with drinking after making it through something difficult. Good luck with waking your son up early and getting on the road to your training!

ubntubnt, I bet the football practice was like herding cats, but I'm sure your son was thrilled to have you there and fully present. You have such a great attitude about your sobriety.

numblady, I LOVE your long posts, and look forward to them every day! Your comments about your visit to the shelter were impactful, sometimes in our field it can be easy to think of service in terms of budget line items, strategic goals, ROI measures, etc., rather than the fundamental and more important questions about what will truly make people better off. Actually asking and listening to the answers.

I miss NewChapter's posts, and hope Trohyn checks in soon.

Day 76 here. I had a productive day yesterday, but didn't exercise or even shower (normally I shower twice a day, once in the morning and once after I walk on the treadmill). Today, I will make sure that I do 45 minutes because walking/jogging...even at my SLB pace...makes me feel so much better.

We will probably host Sunday dinner for the family, as usual. I always feel lazy beforehand, but afterwards I'm really happy I did it because it is such a benefit to my extended family. One of my kids had a sleepover last night, so we went to bed very late and woke up earlier than I would have liked, but that's OK. I may do some light cleaning today, set the table, prepare dinner, but otherwise relax a little bit. I'm really trying hard to change my old habits of "frantic pace followed by checking out," but as we know, habits take time to break. I also have some "fun" projects that I would like to work on, involving some hobbies that lapsed while I was drinking.

I'm off to make breakfast for some hungry kids, but I will be here off and on all day. I hope more folks check in, and that everyone has a good sober day!
Old 03-04-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Evening Class,

Apologies again for being a little absent the past few days. I will be able to read and catch up more thoroughly with everyone tomorrow. Day 49 for me, 7 weeks. Had a few pangs this weekend of that 'rose tinted' thinking, but I was able to recognise and call this out for what it was - the AV trying to leverage my 7 week milestone with complacence. I played forward the scenes to the reality of those mirages of summer drinking with friends, wine over a romantic dinner with my husband etc. and I was able to visualise how those situations would actually play out - and it wasn't pretty. Feeling grateful that I was able to nip these thoughts in the bud and looking forward to making more time for posting this week and catching up with my wonderful classmates.

Have a great evening, all.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all. Quick check in. I think we’ve found a house. It’s not the one I wanted so I’m pretty bummed. It ok though. Good schools and good neighborhood. I definitely feel like numbing out though. I’m not going to drink over this just kinda need to share so i don’t start getting squirrelly in my head.
Hope everyone is having a good evening
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So quiet! I mean comparatively speaking.

Palmer your life sounds so much like mine with the sleepovers and the sometimes dizzying array of commitments.hope the dinner was not stressful.

NC glad you too were able to recognize that sneaky beast messing with your head.

Sunflower. I’m very happy you found a place. Even if it’s not your top choice it sounds like there are some real pluses.

I had a nice day. Unstructured morning where I didn’t get much accomplished but I tried to just enjoy puttering. Then what I coined as “the grafuitous nap” (you’ve had plenty of sleep and not done anything particularly strenuous ... but you nap anyway). Well I tried that. My daughter kept coming in every 5 minutes so it was more like gratuitous laying. Then did a little work at a coffee shop. Finally, came home and worked like a lunatic transplanting plants. Digging is hard freaking work. I got a lot done and was wrapping up as the sun was setting on a warm and beautiful afternoon. Was just the kind of evening I would have loved to cap off my hard work with a cocktail then crap tons of wine. But instead I had a real Coca Cola. I don’t do that often but I was so tired. Oh yeah and I promised my daughter frozen yogurt so I drove her there. It’s liberating to drive whenever. Though I still felt like I didn’t want to leave the house. Felt more like I wanted to curl up in a heap back on the bed. But I’m here now. Moving to sleep. Hoping to hear from folks soon. Not in an “I’m guilt tripping you” way. In a “I want to know how you’re getting along” kind of way.

Hugs! Good night.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Class! Hope you all have an awesome week. Stay strong.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pottering and napping, god, what a luxury. The kind of thing that as alcoholics we don’t get to do often enough. It’s either passed out drunken sleep or up in a rush with a panic and the sweats.

Good learnings from the team here. Alcohol as reward, alcohol to numb, alcohol to pass time and while away some hours. I can relate to them all. Monday morning here start if a new busy week.

We got a new dog yesterday, so that’s one more reason to stay present and sober.

Have a great week everyone.....
Old 03-05-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NewChapter, so glad you checked in!

Sunflower, I hope everything works out with the house.

Numblady, your posts always remind me of my life too (I'm a huge fan of the Gratuitous Nap myself, I just never had the right name for it!)

I hope my sober buddy shell77 checks in soon!

ubnt, congrats on the new dog! Is it a puppy?

Day 77 here. Yesterday turned out to be a really "off" day in a number of ways. I didn't exercise for the second day in a row, I slept poorly the night before, and I didn't get my gratuitous nap. At bedtime, rather than feeling grateful and happy as I normally do, I was restless, emotional, and discontent. I actually cried while reading a book that wasn't even that sad, and I very rarely cry.

I've heard people talk about the "emotional roller coaster of early sobriety," but I've been fairly fortunate so far. Thinking that drinking will improve my emotional state and offer some relief is the part I need to really work through. Of all the compelling arguments against drinking...all the things we know and hate...the one thing that clicks for me is that even if I said consequences be damned, it just doesn't work for me anymore. I had passed the point where drinking was an enjoyable release, and it had just become a numbing compulsion. And while that way of thinking may keep me from alcohol, it won't keep me from addiction, to something else. I need to keep adding to my recovery and moving forward, fighting the urge to slide backwards.

Today, it's back to my routine. Make breakfasts, pack lunches, kids off to school, me off to work, back home, afternoon stuff, workout, dinner, relaxation. There are so many things I can and should do to cast my sobriety in stone, and moving through the rough spots with a sense of purpose is at the top of that list.

Have a great day, guys!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Untubnt, yeah good point about the extremes. And what opportunities we now have to really live a weekend.

Komplex, hi! Hope things are well. I was checking out the weekender forum and noticed you in there. Can anyone just jump in and say hi before a weekend? knowing the friendliness and openness of this forum I'm guessing yes but just wanted your impressions.

Palmer, hope the routine or just the new brings some comfort. I've so been there. I tried to do calming yoga one day (kundalini, which I rarely do...it's just weird and difficult in a way I don't necessarily have the energy for yet) and I basically came out of it wanting to fight someone. I really like what you said about it just not helping anymore. That is so true. I'm going to remember that too! I had just reached the point (and I'll get there again if I pick up) that it didn't help. The escape was the prison. Blah blah blah. We've all been there or we wouldn't be here.

Okay, I'm starving. Gotta go snarf food and load up a fat angry cat for a vet appointment and then just get through this Monday. Hope all have a good day!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class! It always seems to get pretty quiet in here on the weekend. I hope everyone had a good sober weekend. I didn't post this weekend, but I was on reading a lot. Friday nights are the hardest for me and I really should post more. I fight them out every weekend. But just reading did help me this weekend.

Numblady what kind of mocktail did you drink? I'm always looking for something to drink when I'm out. Shoot even when I'm home. I have been drinking way too much coffee.

Newchapter playing it forward has been my savior this time around. My AV is still pretty active and it is a must for me to sit back and really play out the night if I decided to drink. It never ends pretty.

Sunflower I am happy you found a house, but sorry it wasn't your first choice. That is actually what I do for a living so I feel your disappointment. Hopefully, you will love it once you get in and make it yours. Congratulations!

Komplex it's good to see you!

ubntubnt (it's always hard for me to type your name lol) what kind of doggie did you get? I'm an animal lover! I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I would have a lot more if I had the space :-)

Hey Palmer!! Way to go on 77 days!!! I am sitting here on day 73.... i think. I am starting to lose track of the days. I think that is a good thing for me. I kinda get obsessed with counting days.

Have a beautiful day/night!!
Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

@Sunflower: Congratulations on the house! I’m sorry it’s not the one you hoped for, but it sounds really lovely all the same. My Nana always says ‘what’s meant for you won’t pass you’ and I really believe that to be true. I bet this house is the one that was meant for you, and you will create so many happy memories there!

@Ubntubnt: Congratulations on becoming a dog daddy!! Haha What type of dog did you get?

@PalmerSage: Well done on riding out that wave and getting right back to your routines. It can be so difficult to break the spell, sometimes I find I have to depend on the ‘just do it’ philosophy to ride out those funks.

I’m sorry I’ve been so crap at keeping up these days. Going through a bit of a hard time at the moment. Things are very stressful with my husband’s business at the moment and there’s a lot of uncertainty and we’ve been fire fighting every day for the past few months. Just getting in on me these days and finding it hard. Tonight though I was open with my husband and we talked about how anxious and stressed I’m feeling about things. We are usually excellent communicators in our relationship and in work (I have my own business but consult and do the books for his business also), but I find that I keep my feelings of stress and struggle to myself so that I can support him and offer advice and strategic solutions. Noticing the AV creep in and feeling down, and not prioritizing posting here are warning signs and I will not allow myself to relapse, ESPECIALLY at this pivotal time. So I decided to be honest and talk it out with my husband, and come and post here to be honest with you guys about the bad stuff too. I know we’ll get through this, it’s just a little tough right now.

I’ve decided to take control as much as I can though and prioritize my engagement with all you wonderful people so as to keep my sobriety front and centre. I want to all to know how much I appreciate you and I apologise for going AWOL.

I hope everyone is doing OK, thinking of you all and I will be back to responding to everyone properly from tomorrow! Goodnight Class.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

@Shell, yes Friday nights are a toughie. I find I need to make some kind of plans in advance so I have no space to wander. My wife must be wondering how come I am so into going for a big meal together at 6pm on Fridays all of a sudden haha, but she is not complaining.

We got a teddy dog. 3 months old. Its one of these new designer cross breeds...small but super social and sweet. We live in a big city in Asia so a bigger dog is not an option but we do have plenty of space outside to walk it and let it play. I wanted to get it for a while for my son but life (work and drinking) got in the way so I finally convinced my wife and we took the plunge. It has been a big hit and the dog himself is really cute. Needless to say, for me its a reminder of what a less punishing life is really like.

Its funny, I used to equate anything like that to "settling down", "getting middle aged and old" etc. I felt I had to be balls to the wall working and partying and pushing the limit of everything all the time. Never really allowing myself the feeling of just being, of having nothing to do, the luxury of time. I think of all the changes that is the one I am finally enjoying the most. Even reading a book for an hour. Thats why I related to Palmer's naps also. What an amazing luxury they are.

73 days is awesome shell......hey once you get to 90 you can count months and not days. How cool would that be?

My inner competitiveness just whispered to me that it is still there.....and that having you in the 70's while I am sitting back here on day 9 won't do. It is telling me to hurry up and get past 50 asap. aye aye sir.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awww NewChapter I’m so sorry. I could’ve written that exact same thing. It’s on of the reasons for my emotional break down last week. Good for you opening up and talking to your husband. I have yet to do that because when I try I become the bad guy. Of course, I haven’t really tried since we became sober. I just lay in bed and worry. I should follow your lead and talk to him. Way to being honest and open! I believe all things will be ok.

Ubrunt don’t be competitive in this. I Like what someone wrote earlier about the guy with years of sobriety and telling a newcomer they have the same amount of time, today. I believe that whole heartily in this journey. We do it for today! Congratulations on you new puppy. I’ll have to go google it. I’ve never heard of that breed.

Hope for more check ins <3. (Look at posting from my phone lol)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And I’ll just apologize now for the last and any future post I make with typos. Hope you can understand me :-)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shell77 View Post
Ubrunt don’t be competitive in this.
don't worry, was saying it tongue in cheek, just happy to be where I am....
Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thinking of you NewChapter 💕

I was just reading some of the posts from people throughout the sober recovery website. Some of it is so heartbreaking. Reading about people relapsing and starting their day one over again, feeling awful, going through withdrawals. The sadness and depression and despair remind of what I have to look forward to if I drink again. So grateful to be sober today
Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Thinking of you NewChapter 💕

I was just reading some of the posts from people throughout the sober recovery website. Some of it is so heartbreaking. Reading about people relapsing and starting their day one over again, feeling awful, going through withdrawals. The sadness and depression and despair remind of what I have to look forward to if I drink again. So grateful to be sober today
This is exactly what kept me sober this weekend. I don’t want to feel that way ever again!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
don't worry, was saying it tongue in cheek, just happy to be where I am....
And of course I spelled your name wrong! Ubntubnt i understand that. I have been in a place, especially when I went to AA that it is somewhat overwhelming to me to talk with people who had some time. Months, years or whatever, I would think there’s no way that could ever be me.... and yep I’d drink over it. Sounds ridiculous.....
Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Untubnt, I actually had a similar thought (only probably less tongue in cheek)...just comparing myself to others whether longer or shorter. I don't know. Nothing really came of it. Guessing I'm just outing myself for having the thought . I was also thinking today of how I need to learn how to slow down and enjoy. I was always ticked off that I didn't have time to do that. But then if I get any time I fill it with chores and projects. I've got some work to do.

Shell, the mocktail I had when out I sadly do not know. Just asked for the house mocktail and drank it happily. Favorites for me so far at home are: tonic water and lime juice; strawberry shrub (aka drinking vinegar) and club soda or sparkling water; N/A Chilton--supposed to be fresh lemon, soda water, booze and salted rim (more or less). I used lemonade and obviously skipped the booze. That was great. I like just a plain old ginger beer. And we found a mix for old fashioneds that I just add club soda to. I know for some mocktails are probably too much a celebration of a drink and too close to the line. But for me there's something about the ritual of a beverage that also isn't associated with boozing alone. Like making coffee or tea. I do love a good cup of tea, though less so now that it's hot.

New Chapter, I'm sorry for all the added stress. Sounds like you have good resolve to post around the worst AV times. I hope things with your husband's job and all get better. I'm glad you were honest.

Sunflower, it is so hard to hear. I was thinking as I was leaving work today it's like I got on a life raft almost by accident and they don't come by very often. I"m so glad I've hung on.

Okay well things are pretty good here. Not surprisingly I am tired as usual. Not a particularly big or strenuous day but I think I just had a fatigue hangover from the weekend. Glad it wasn't the other kind of hangover!

The trip to the vet was kind of a saga. I know this is a silly thing to obsess about but I feel so bad for my cat. He has to be in a cone for over two weeks and can't go outside, can't fit through our cat door with his cone, etc. I know it's short term pain for long term improvement ( I freaking hope so anyway because if we have to keep doing this I may opt to just keep his eye injury and leave it alone...assuming it doesn't get worse.) We're supposed to somehow give him eye drops 5 times a day and put ointment in 4 times a day. And I"m leaving town with the kids on Saturday for spring break. again, it's a stupid thing to get bummed out about but between worrying about how bad kitty feels with the cone, about how I"m going to get the medicine in his eyes, and possibly the deepest fear of all, that it won't actually fix the issue in his eyes, it just kind of put me in a sour mood.

Hope all are well out there. 4:45 wake up so I'd better get on to sleep!