Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

ElyaRoy, welcome! Nice to meet you too.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Viper, I don't know how it is where you are, but are there any programmes to help people get into work from long term unemployed or being in the social services system? Maybe a state, community, local or voluntary programme?

I had a stretch of unemployment and was helped back into work by a government programme here in the UK. I know there are also local voluntary groups for that here, and some charities have volunteer programmes that are designed to give experience to put on a CV/resume. Charities here are also more likely to give people paid employment regardless of their history, as long as they have the aptitude.

The programme I did gave me practical tools, like how to see my abilities and potential, how to do job applications and interviews. It also really helped to have the group support and mentoring.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:16 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ElyaRoy

This thread is what you make it guys - I don't think there's any such thing as posting too much Professor

D
Old 02-17-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning class. Still no urges but some mood swings. Last night I just felt completely irritable. Everything was bugging me. My wife picked up on it too. Took a hot shower after dinner and went to bed @ 8pm. Wanted to avoid lashing out for no apparent reason. I have been very productive but still have a ton on my plate to do. Can't believe I let things get THIS far behind ... Arrgh. I have a full weekend of getting stuff done that's been lingering. Hopefully I will feel a little better when it's done. Want to be able to just enjoy a weekend with nothing to do. Oh well. I put myself here, I gotta get me out. No urge to drink at all.
Have a great day all. Welcome to the group ElyaRoy.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hello All and welcome Elyaroy (sp?) so glad you’re with us.

So much to read since I last posted. Prof D, keep posting!

I am doing well here. I had to think about time because I thought I was only at two weeks it actually almost three. I’ve also been getting tons done and trying to get caught up with everything I let go to wine.

Final round, I had a day like yours yesterday. Just felt every irritated. Wanted to be alone but couldn’t, since I can’t make my children disappear! I was frustrated about so many things, but the good news is I wasn’t desiring wine at all. The frustration was a result of life, and how hectic and overwhelming it can feel. I was reminded many times why I used to drink; to put off life in a sense. To not have to think about my to do list or “feel” things that are part of normal everyday stresses.

Today is a new day and I am grateful! Feeling better and looking forward to a pleasant Saturday.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Sorry for all the typos in my posts. It is so hard to see on my phone!! I could go back and edit, but causes such eye strain. I guess I’m getting older...lol!!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Glad to see many of us easing into the weekend. 22 days is making 30 days seem very much within reach. Feel rested after a very exhausting week of the gym. Ready to get back at it with some cardio today.

Had a slight craving this morning due to an Instagram post of all things but quickly snapped out of it. Too many good things have been set up in the interim for me to blow it by going backwards.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 15. Happy Saturday!
Welcome Elya!
Prof D - u better stop that rubbish. Post away!!! You're like the President of our class.
Thanks for sharing your story Anew. Def helps open the eyes a bit more. Especially if we already had a DUI ourselves.
Viper- u gotta live this life for yourself. Start small and build up. It's never too late. I bet it will help with your sobriety and esteem if you find something. You ever go to meetings? Even if you don't like the program side, (I don't ) being around other like you and the fellowship may be just what you need.
YOU GOT THIS.
Big hugs class. SOBER SATURDAY WOO!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Zenna, I got sick when I was 19. That’s how it’s is that I am where I am. Not sarcasm, just explaining.

I’m an expert on social services because of my own situation. If there was a way, I’d know about it. This is not a Social Democracy.

I’m in a particular box where there is a Catch 22 down every road I look at. And it’s not a pleasant catch. I could go on explaining for 30 minutes, but the details are not necessary. Trust me. The Benefits system is not designed around trying, its designed around hiding.

Is this my own fault in many ways?? Absolutely.

Depressed today.

Viper
Old 02-17-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I have been busy but finally had time to check with my febs
So much to catch up on!

Welcome shiv and elyaroy.....this is a great group

Professor..please keep posting. I agree with CAGY...You are like our president!
I too, teach in school so this tragic shooting hits very close to home . I also found out today that one of the victims was the niece of someone I went to HS with..so sad...

I am on day 9. This is the longest I have gone in a very long time. I feel clearheaded and good so far. I have cleaned me done laundry and caught up on paying bills....it has been a productive day. My husband is picking up dinner and we will have a quiet night at home. Perfect!

I mentioned I have off next week and was nervous about being home alone all week...that's my danger zone. Well, as it turns out, I have plans every day!!!i am meeting friends a few days, meeting my daughter in Manhattan and shopping with friends from college. I put myself out to make sure I keep busy AND the weather looks like it will be seasonably warm. ..great!!

Have a sober Saturday evening for those of you still on Saturday xo
Old 02-17-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Quitfornow, I post from my phone almost exclusively, which leads to typos. I’ve been on this site long enough to have had the iPhone 5s. My typos were ridiculous, and I was exhausted reading the tiny print. A big screen is with it for SR alone if haven’t got one. I’m on the 8 Plus now. These things are almost tablets. I still get a ton of typos though!

People are mentioning working out and planning these for each day to avoid drinking. It works! Filling the booze in with healthy stuff is key. I like hikes, swimming in the ocean, etc. I used to go ‘full-on’ at the gym but it’s seems harder and harder to get there. Also the sweets. They’re fine as long as you get off of them at some point.

Trying to count my blessing and stop being a downer on here. I’ll watch some Netflix or something. Whole Foods has had Indian Samosas and Roasted Tandoori Chicken wings in the hot food bar a lot. Just microwave. I’ll be eating that at 6:30.

Viper
Old 02-17-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep plugging away finalround you'll get there
congrats on 3 weeks quitnow you too wayforward

congrats on day 15 CAGY, and on day 9 lovehoops

Hope this week is a better one for you Vipe

D
Old 02-17-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Haven't start posting because I wasn't sure if I needed to wait til March (on day 6) but it seems that's not the case. Been enjoying reading all of your posts.

Two weeks ago I left my home, boyfriend of 6 years and dogs to come home and get some space. His brother had been living with us since he got out of jail and it was very difficult to stay sober in our tiny home altogether. I isolated myself. When he had a serious incident involving cops bringing him home at 3am and a cavalier attitude about it the next day, I had had enough. (Sorry to those who already know this story)

Tomorrow I'm going back. His brother moved out today. I will need to be looking for a new job since I resigned from my last because I didn't think I was coming back. (Impulsive, i know)

I am trying not be afraid of going home. Not having a job will give me so much alone time. Tonight I'll be writing out some action plans based on some links Dee posted. (Thank you) I am so thankful he asked his brother to leave. I can now focus wholly on my sobriety. But I know it's not going to be all rainbows and puppies. Bracing.

(God this is long, sorry!)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

definitely no waiting goodbyeevan

We'll be there with you as you move

D
Old 02-17-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome goodbyeevan Your post is not too long at all! Action plans are a great way to be proactive about your recovery. Congratulations on six days.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, just checking in! Thanks for your comments. I was really just kidding about not posting; you are stuck with me for better or for worse I've had another productive day of writing and research and getting some lesson plans in order. And I didn't drink, because drinking is gross.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome goodbyeevan! So glad you are here.

Viper, hang in there. I don't know much about your situation, obviously but I know that getting and staying sober is going to be a huge part of achieving what you want in life. I always love when you post, and you seem like a very cool and fun person to me.

Lovehoops, I'm sorry to hear you had a connection to one of the victims. It's very hard for educators in this environment. I'm glad you get a break, and it sounds like you are definitely making the most of it. Good for you.

CuteNGayYay, congrats on 15 days! That's great, really great. I didn't notice that you have a La Croix in your picture. Hilarious!! I am drinking one right now.

Wayforward, so glad that you are looking forward to 30 days. Wow! I felt like things got much easier (knock on wood) around that time as well. I deleted my instagram...too many triggers.

Quitnow and finalround, it will be OK. Just keep your head down and your mouths closed. Don't start fights or give into the bad vibes (says the woman who starts lots of fights with her husband all the time lol ) But seriously, come vent here if you want anytime you want!
Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh, I have a thing to put to the group: I have two empty decorative wine bottles which I have kept for sentimental reasons. They are both from memorable events with family and friends. Honestly, I didn't even see them until today--I've had them for a long time so I forgot they were there. I have to get rid of them, I think. I'm sure. And...it makes me sad even though that's illogical. I know I kept them to remember the people and the experiences NOT the wine, but...it feels like I'm throwing away the good times with the bad times. There really were good drinking times once upon a time, every once in a blue moon, five seconds out of every two years.

Don't worry, I'm getting rid of them. I just wanted to process the feelings here. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure there's one right answer for everyone, ProfD.

I still keep these two ashtrays made out of ammunition shells from WW2 even tho I'm a peacenik because my grandfather made them - & even tho it's been a decade since I smoked and I'll never smoke again.

D
Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee ^. There's no right answer. It all depends on what triggers you personally.