Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-07-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Good morning Febs...

One week in and feeling very good. We have a little snow coming our way in North East, sadly, that will be followed by rain.

Normally, I take my son to school on my way to work, but schools are cancelled, so, I had an opportunity to beat the heavier snow fall and get to work early and decided to take advantage of that.

Certainly, if it were more than a week ago, I would have been taking off today.

Make it a nice sober day my friends...

Here's to you Boozey McBoozerson....

See ya!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Good morning! Other than the sleeping issues, it sounds like everyone is doing well! I'm hoping to have another solid day today too.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class. Day 10 (again). Have a good one.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Officially one week from my last hangover. Starting day 8. Bit by bit getting things in order. Didn't realize how much stuff I had been avoiding doing while drinking. I am sleeping great (sorry to those who aren't) and the evening fatigue is weAring off. Productivity is increasing steadily. Feeling optimistic again. It gets better all. Have a great day.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

afternoon all x hope u all are doing great.

I am on day 19 on non smoking, so if this keeps up i should be able to start on being sober x
Old 02-07-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 7

Hello SR friends!

1 week today for me, and everything seems a little more manageable. I finally got some solid sleep last night and am looking forward to a productive day. I'm noticing the little joys that sobriety brings:

The sun shines a little brighter
The body feels healthier
The food tastes a little better
The work seems easier
The world is just happier

1 week until Valentines day, I'm going to keep on loving myself, forgiving myself for past mistakes, and accepting things the way they are....SOBER

Have an awesome day!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Day 3 here. I have work functions tonight and tomorrow night, plus things this weekend that I'd ordinarily drink at. I'm already getting some anxiety about what I'll say, but I'm sure its just overblown in my head and people wont think its a big deal if I don't order a drink. The one tonight is more professional so I feel good, but the one tomorrow is with someone I've frequently tied one on with and I know it will just devolve into a drunk fest, so I'm going to make up an excuse to skip that one.

I found out yesterday that a person in my office has developed cancer and they aren't coming back to work. 3-4 months to live. Very sad, but a reminder that our time here is limited. Got me thinking about my own mortality and what I want to be able to look back on, the kind of life I want to lead for my kids, etc.

Anyway - enough rambling. I hope everyone does well today.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I heard this for the first time this weekend. It is technically about sports competitions but I have been listening to it on repeat because it inspires me to be the Champion over alcohol.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 02022018 View Post
I heard this for the first time this weekend. It is technically about sports competitions but I have been listening to it on repeat because it inspires me to be the Champion over alcohol.
"I live for the battle I'm a soldier" actually sounds like "I live for the battle I'm sober"
Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Good choice

Love the vibe! Can see where you are coming from.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Alright I'm officially IN for Feb! I'm on day 3. Seems like such a small victory. Going to my second AA meeting tonight. Have no idea what i'm going to say. I hid in the back the first time, and didn't raise my hand or tell them I was new. So tonights a big leap. Wish me luck and I'll post more later!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kanan View Post
Hi guys. Day 3 here. I have work functions tonight and tomorrow night, plus things this weekend that I'd ordinarily drink at. I'm already getting some anxiety about what I'll say, but I'm sure its just overblown in my head and people wont think its a big deal if I don't order a drink. The one tonight is more professional so I feel good, but the one tomorrow is with someone I've frequently tied one on with and I know it will just devolve into a drunk fest, so I'm going to make up an excuse to skip that one.

I found out yesterday that a person in my office has developed cancer and they aren't coming back to work. 3-4 months to live. Very sad, but a reminder that our time here is limited. Got me thinking about my own mortality and what I want to be able to look back on, the kind of life I want to lead for my kids, etc.

Anyway - enough rambling. I hope everyone does well today.
DAY 3 here too! Yay! We can do this!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FitDrinker View Post
Alright I'm officially IN for Feb! I'm on day 3. Seems like such a small victory. Going to my second AA meeting tonight. Have no idea what i'm going to say. I hid in the back the first time, and didn't raise my hand or tell them I was new. So tonights a big leap. Wish me luck and I'll post more later!
Welcome FD,

That is huge victory by the way. Everyday is in fact a victory.

Good for you for attending the AA meeting. You'll be fine...just be yourself!
Old 02-07-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hello. Day 6, I’ve got a lot of biting anxiety today. It’s bad.

I’m lying low. I’ll post later.

Viper
Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FitDrinker View Post
DAY 3 here too! Yay! We can do this!
Yes indeed!
Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Hello. Day 6, I’ve got a lot of biting anxiety today. It’s bad.

I’m lying low. I’ll post later.

Viper
I struggle with anxiety too -- do check in later.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

9.30-ish pm in the UK. I really wanted to buy alcohol on the way home. I didn't though.

Have been having a productive evening getting a few things done. I'm finding it easier to keep up with things and no longer find it overwhelming if I have to do something like plan a day out with a friend. Even having a shower every day is easier - it's embarrassing but this would be one of the first things I'd skip when I was drinking/hungover.

I'm thinking a lot about Sunday (big trigger event). I felt like tonight was a bit of a practice run because I had such strong longings. For me, it feels like longing more than craving. I remembered my strategies and followed them, so that was good. But I think I need to ramp it up because the Drinking Imp inside me keeps coming up with all kinds of justifications for drinking on Sunday.

The problem isn't at the event but the danger of wanting to drink at home afterwards. I've been trying to think of an image for dealing with the Drinking Imp but when I did that I realised that the Imp is just a frontwoman that my wounded, hurting self hides behind. I need to set up a lot of self care stuff at home on Sunday to come back to. And no, Zenna, alcohol does not count as self care.

Sorry for rambling! I'm finding this thread so helpful. So many awesome achievements and helpful insights among the Febs.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zenna View Post

The problem isn't at the event but the danger of wanting to drink at home afterwards. I've been trying to think of an image for dealing with the Drinking Imp but when I did that I realised that the Imp is just a frontwoman that my wounded, hurting self hides behind. I need to set up a lot of self care stuff at home on Sunday to come back to. And no, Zenna, alcohol does not count as self care.
You can do it!!! I totally get the temptation you are describing-- it isn't even the event itself, but that alone time afterwards. Tell your alcoholic voice to take a hike. What will you do as self care? I find having an exremely concrete plan in place is best for these kinds of triggers
Old 02-07-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Here to report a normal, sober, and therefore AWESOME day.

Congrats on all the milestones today, febs!

Keep us posted on your anxiety, Viper. lying low is completely fine.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
You can do it!!! I totally get the temptation you are describing-- it isn't even the event itself, but that alone time afterwards. Tell your alcoholic voice to take a hike. What will you do as self care? I find having an exremely concrete plan in place is best for these kinds of triggers
Thank you!

I'm putting the plan together now. I'm making a little treasure pile that I can dip into with a fleece blanket, film on DVD, a comedy DVD, a novel, a funny book, yoga mat, friend's phone number written out, my journal and other stuff.