Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good Morning all and hello 2018!

Brother Badger07 how was your holidays?

My NYE was much like yours Purple, couch potato, SR and early to bed. Livin the life I do!!!

Badge
Old 01-01-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Congrats everyone; we got the crap over with!

Welcome, 2018!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Class, I'm still around but oh my I am exhausted. This is the busiest time of year for work, and on top of that people are away so I'm doing even more hours than usual. One of my staff dropped a ladder on her toe on Xmas eve, spent xmas in hospital, was operated on boxing day or the day after, and they couldn't save it. (:O) She had another operation to remove it the other day. Poor thing! So I'm working her shifts too, plus some other extras. It's all fine, and I have no hangovers which is great, but I am totally approaching burnout from the public. Seriously if I have to keep on answering the same 10 questions all day every day I might just go crazy. It's actually alright, I shouldn't complain. Just need a little vent now and then.

I signed up to the "January Cure" on an interiors website called Apartment Therapy. Basically each day for the month they send you an assignment - the first one was 'pick one drawer and clean it out'. It can be a sock drawer, a kitchen drawer, that gross drawer in your bathroom full of old products, whatever. Easy and achievable. The idea is that after a month of doing these small things, your house will be better organised and cleaner. I'm hopeful about it, and the results. I hope you're all well. Does anyone do the New Year resolution thing?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi gang and Happy New Years!

Just got back from a long vacation to the US and wanted to check in quickly to say I'm still with you, on day 106 of no drinking and, drum roll, on day 15 without smoking

Hope you're all doing well. I'll try to catch up on all your posts properly and log back in more often.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kachal View Post
I signed up to the "January Cure" on an interiors website called Apartment Therapy. Basically each day for the month they send you an assignment - the first one was 'pick one drawer and clean it out'. It can be a sock drawer, a kitchen drawer, that gross drawer in your bathroom full of old products, whatever. Easy and achievable. The idea is that after a month of doing these small things, your house will be better organised and cleaner. I'm hopeful about it, and the results. I hope you're all well. Does anyone do the New Year resolution thing?
OMG I love it. That sounds exactly what I need, well, what my flat needs! I don't really make resolutions but I quit smoking before the holidays so I think that counts. I also want to get back to the gym more often.
I think spending one month doing little things to clean up the flat will be great!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Leeeeeelloooooooooo! You're here! Happy New Year love!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Leeloo - great to hear you’re doing well😀

Kachal - that’s a very cool idea about the cleaning. Also, I hope work calms off a little for you soon as you sound super busy!

Day 121 for me.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sister Badge - My holidays were good. Thanks for asking. I must admit though that I did think about alcohol once or twice. I like the holidays and have misguided fond memories of drinking with friends in the past. I know its an illusion but the feelings persist somewhat to be honest.

Ha! Cleaning. My daughter got into a bit of trouble and was grounded for a week during the break. I made her clean / organize everything I could think of. It was marvelous. I like to clean and organize a bit myself. I like to fix things. Quick hit of instant gratification. I am an addict after all.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Badger, what gets you grounded these days? I used to get grounded a lot as a teen. I wasn't really particularly wild, not then, but my folks were incredibly strict. I'd get grounded for all sorts of non events, like if a boy rang the home phone to speak to me. It was totally unfair.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am blessed to have such a good child. I was literally spawned from a hell demon. I got lucky that she is the exact opposite. She is a senior this year. She makes good grades (honors and AP) and never gets into trouble. Not even a tardy. That is until the last final tests before the Holiday break. She got caught cheating! She is mortified. Says she has never cheated but was under severe pressure with college decisions, boyfriend, hormones, life in general. Claims everyone else was cheating to but she knows that is not an excuse.

She completely owned up to it. The Dean was nice in my opinion. She received a 0 on the test and a final grade of a C in that class. She is also on probation for 90 days.

We do not tolerate that type of behavior in our household. I grounded her for the entire 2 week break with daily hard labor. She had to write letters to the teacher, Dean and her parents as well. Damn. She went from perfect student conduct wise and jumped right into the deep end.

I feel terrible for her. She is embarrassed. Distraught actually. It’s funny. I have been working with her Mother to let go of her because she will be off to school (out of state)in 9 months. I have stated that we need her to get into trouble and experience failure why we still have her in the house. Help guide her. Well... I got what I wanted eh?
Old 01-07-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Wow Badge, sounds like she has really learned something from all this. It must be hard dishing out punishment sometimes, especially when you can tell they're sorry.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Keyboard Cat is making his rounds to say hello to everyone!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Love the keyboard cat! thank you Purpl!

Badger- I am happy to hear of parents that still teach ethics and consequences to actions. I do not hear that very often, especially at work. You are raising her right!

Feeling rather domestic lately, wanting to learn to cook different things, well cook period, who knew you needed to put salt in the water when making pasta?? thank goodness for Chefs Google and You tube!

Badge
Old 01-09-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It is hard to discipline children but one must be firm in such situations. I am worried about her generation. They are going to have to compete against billions of Chinese and Indians who are smart, educated and willing to work 16 hours a day. I make my child pull weeds, clean baseboards, pick up garbage, do chores etc. to help instill some grit and a good work ethic. That along with education is all I can really do to prepare her for the real world. Her generation is going to have their hands full.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I should note that the above post does not outwardly relate to alcoholism. We were talking about cleaning and how that can be therapeutic. Then the grounding story came up. In reality these things (children in trouble and worry) can be a stressor for me hence the comments. I am not here to make espouse my worldly views regarding future generations. I don't know what the hell I am talking about anyway half the time.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just checking in ~ Hope everyone is doing okay! Been staying busy with work, trying to keep up with exercise & meditation. Also trying to get into the creative habit ~ practicing drawing....I'd love to attempt a painting but I don't want to make the mess. Guess I need to get over that.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Me again! Our thread got bumped to page two so I thought I'd bring it around again.

Having coffee and not looking forward to going into work. Gonna have to find a way to fix that.....but I'm not hungover so that's a good start!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello Purp. Where is everyone?
Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I am here! hanging out at work, than sleep, than get a 3 mile walk in, nap, work, rinse, repeat. Staying sober! repeat, repeat, repeat forever.

badge
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Me too🙂