Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 2

Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Struggling, that is so great that you fought off the AV and are still going strong. Way to go!

Ending November with 25 sober days and it feels good to see the days slowly add up. Sound sleep still continues to elude me, but the brain fog is lifting and energy is starting to return. What a strange trip this continues to be... having to relearn how to do the most basic things like eating a meal without drinking. But the brain is starting to catch on.

Congratulations everyone on rocking this first month. I couldn't have made it through without you. Wishing all of you a happy, healthy, sober December!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

17.5!

Us east coast morning!
17.5 days sober! Longest stretch in a very long time!
Grateful for another good night’s sleep — not interrupted by alcohol!
Grateful I woke up without a hangover — no dehydration or horrible headache!
Grateful I did not blackout last night — I know everything I did last night!
Grateful I did not shame or embarrass myself drinking!
Grateful I woke up in my bed — not in an emergency room, jail, other strange place.
Grateful I am in a good mood — I did not drink a depressant!
Grateful I did not increase my risks of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach, liver or pancreas!
Grateful I did not kill brain cells and damage my brain!
Grateful I did not trigger AFIB and increase my stroke risk!
Grateful I did not damage my heart further and cause alcoholic cardiomyopathy!
Grateful my resting heart rate has decreased 20% because I am sober!
Grateful I did not bleed from my esophagus because of the poison known as alcohol!
Grateful I did not further damage my liver — no increased risk of alcoholic fatty liver disease or cirrhosis!
Grateful I did not damage my brain — create cognitive deficits and stimulate addiction!
Grateful I did not retrigger cravings/addiction by drinking again — just one drink retriggers cravings and desire.
Grateful I am in much better moods, better rested and feel better about myself!
Grateful I did not cause my wife to be scared or angry!
Grateful I could enjoy dinner out and a walk to enjoy all the holiday decorations!
Grateful my sobriety muscle got stronger yesterday and my AV and cravings got weaker one more day!
Grateful I recognize that alcohol is an addictive carcinogenic poison.
Grateful to see that I mostly drank because of the addiction — not because it at all advances my life.
Grateful I do not want the poison in me.
Grateful I did not vomit blood this morning and will not lose the day in a fog!
Grateful I am not thinking all the time about when I will have the next drink!
Grateful I did not waste hours “chatting and hanging” with other alcoholics in some bar and did not waste huge amounts of money playing big shot drunk.
Grateful I can see where alcohol will take me — pathetic obese old man alone in a bar at 3 am dying alone!
Grateful I did not drink thousands of empty calories, making me fatter and leading to diabetes and heart disease and cancers!
Grateful that because I feel better I can walk to work and be healthier.
Grateful I got to an AA meeting and was reminded of so much!
Grateful AA shows me I am not alone — millions of others struggle with the same problem.
Grateful that AA teaches me that alcohol is incredibly destructive — it destroys lives, families, careers, jobs, relationships. OMG, the stories of terrible destruction caused by drinking the poison known as alcohol. OMG how clear that alcohol is a poison and is the enemy of any decent life!
Grateful I get support and hope and modeled behavior from AA!
Grateful for the community support!
Grateful that I have been spared most of the police problems many others suffer!
Grateful I do not have to be admitted to multiple detoxes and rehabs and jails to recognize how destructive the poison known as alcohol is!
Grateful I have been given this opportunity to get and stay sober — I never have to drink the poison known as alcohol again!
Grateful to recognize that the fact that other people are drinking the poison does not make it sensible or smart for me. Many people drink yet don’t want to!
Grateful to see I am better socially sober than drunk! I can have and be more fun and a better friend and entertaining guest sober — and when I drink I become a loud, obnoxious self-involved slurred speech drunk!
Grateful I can see at AA that many people have great fun and entertaining lives sober for 1, 5, even 40 years sober!
Grateful to know I CAN do this and I want to! I see others have done it!
Grateful we here at SR are all on this journey together.
Grateful for all of your days’ sober and that we return to try again if we stumble— because that is all it is: a stumble along the journey.
Grateful I now know that I have not lost my good friend and I am not being deprived of fun or events/ comraderie. Rather, I am killing my worst enemy and freeing myself from its clutches so I can enjoy a full, healthy and joyful fun life!
Every day sober is a great victory for those of us with our problem. Grateful for another great victory!
Onward to victory today!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Its nice that we've graduated. This is the second class I've graduated with so I know I/we are not out of the woods yet by any means. I made it to 35 days with the January class before relapsing, and since my join date of February of last year I've joined and dropped out of maybe 10 different classes following the same pattern of 3-5 days then slipping. This is definitely a long ongoing process.

I hope those of you who are having trouble with getting a few days and then using continue to come here and keep doing your best! Its not easy. At the beginning of this month I slipped after 4-5 days with this class too, but feel very grateful to have made it this far. I think for me the main thing that has helped this time is being in therapy for most of the last year despite continuing to use. It helped uncover some things which have caused me pain my entire adult life, and in ways that in many cases I wasn't even really aware of because it had become background noise. I think for many of us who have issues with chronic relapsing these kinds of things are in the background, either that or we have ongoing wreckage from our drinking which is the first thing we face once we get a few days sober, and its not easy to deal with! The only way to make it better though is to work through them and things get better fairly quickly in many cases as the fog clears.

I'm on day 20, still battling insomnia, but I know it will get better eventually, having been down this road before. At least its Friday so there's a chance for more rest this weekend. I hope you all have a great day, and if you're struggling please don't give up!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

1st December, can't believe it! I joined SR already having 5 weeks sober so I have now completed all of October and November! Never thought I'd manage 2 days never mind 2 months! It took me a long time to accept I needed to stop drinking but glad I got there eventually!

I appreciate all the support here, no matter how many days we all have & how many times we've tried.

Happy December everyone!!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

WoW! Congrats JJ --2 months is awesome. We know that if we can stay sober for 2 months, we can stay sober for 2 years and for 20 years! We dont ever HAVE to drink again -- we need to keep wanting to be sober!! Yeah on your victories!!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Starting Over: Congrats on day 20 --sorry to hear about the insomnia. Hopefully it will pass soon. I had some night sweats and lotsa waking up at first, but I think it was the equivalent of detoxing. My sleep has been much better than when drinking!
Congrats on another victory!

Like you, I have a history of getting 3-5 days and then drinking --like, I feel pretty good so.... celebrate?
Now, I think it really was the addiction: there is no real attraction to my drinking anymore --I get so sick, risk so much damage and danger.
What I need to learn and keep remembering is my entire life history proves: having even one drink triggers the addiction again --gives rise to cravings/desires or whatever and makes having another just the most natural thing. It has happened time and time and time again. Hopefully, I have seen the last time, along with you!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Linners and Susiegirl: Congrats on more victories!! Keep them coming!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I'm definitely having a bit if "oh come on, it is Friday night, why not?!" going on in my head....I will ignore it but it is the strongest it has been in a while. December will be tricky but I'm up for it!
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

DAY 10! woo hoo double digits! Our class is awesome with all these days rackin' up! Happy Friday all! Stay vigilant!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
I'm definitely having a bit if "oh come on, it is Friday night, why not?!" going on in my head....I will ignore it but it is the strongest it has been in a while. December will be tricky but I'm up for it!
JJ: your worst enemy is inviting you to dance with a sharp knife! Why would you want to drink a poison that causes cancer, destroys your brain, liver, heart and throat and ruins your life. Tell that evil schmo to go pound sand in Yemen!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Way to go CNGY! Double digits is awesome! Feels to me like it gets easier, although I need to stay vigilant!
Went to another AA meeting today, so 5 this week!
Great to see so many people happy and thriving in sobriety—- they are examples that we can not only stay sober, we can have awesome productive a and fun lives while doing so!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Sounds like everyones doing great. Im at day 20 so im definitely over my usual 2 week hump but i still have a long road ahead of. However, this week has been great in that ive cooked and eaten nutritious food for almost all of my meals, had no soda, exercised, and gotten great sleep? Like whered this come from? But i love it n my body needed it! I rejoined a gym where i can bring my kids and finally found a church that has childcare during worship. Were trying it out this Sunday. Off to make steak n veggie fajitas!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Congrats to CNGY on 10 days - keep going !!!

Startingover and LLG- Wow 20 days is awesome - I'm a few days behind you X

JJ - 2 months that's bloody brilliant - I would be so proud if I could make it that long. Do you feel a lot better? x

Strugglingtoget - This is the end of our 17th day -I am amazed how easy this has been but I won't let myself get complacent - I have had temptations but I have overcome them and I hope I can continue to do this.

To anyone else I have left out - I'm wishing you all the luck on this journey.

Good night all X
Old 12-01-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
this week has been great in that ive cooked and eaten nutritious food for almost all of my meals, had no soda, exercised, and gotten great sleep?
So I have ate more chips than I care to think about, diet lemonade and coke are my good friends, only managed walks on the school run....but I do sleep amazingly well!

Susiegirl, I guess I do feel better, definitely more together! I suffer from anxiety so I can't say I feel great all the time, but I find myself in a much better place, more content and willing to deal with things (difficult times at home). I actually feel a lot more free if that makes any sense? The only drink I need to make sure I have in the house is Options mint hot chocolate!! oh I could NOT live without BBQ beef hula hoops!!

Strugglingtoget, I will definitely not be dancing with any sharp knives! Evil little so-and-so my AV is...!

Well done CNGY and to any I have missed, keep going!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Congrats on the milestones here!

JJ, you're right, December will be tricky. For me, September and December are rough months with lots of painful associations and emotions. Christmas just adds to it, that feeling of being on the outside looking in when it seems everyone else is joyful and celebrating. It's only the 1st, but just knowing it's the start of the month has triggered those feelings of sadness in me, and various memories. I won't be drinking tonight to attempt to blur them away though. I'm simply acknowledging that I have these feelings, perhaps always will, and it's ok. I'm allowed to feel sad.

It's worth mentioning that a coworker was extremely rude to me today for no good reason. I stood up for myself, and another coworker told me that I handled it really well. But still, the experience stung for the rest of the day. I didn't come home and drink like I normally would have, because that would have been a great excuse. I decided I needed a nap instead, and dozed for an hour or so. Got up, had some dinner, and now I'm reading/posting here.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

December may be tricky but we can do this

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

10 days today! Feeling good. Friday fun-day getting an xmas tree with my son.

Congrats everyone on the milestones.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Wow, everyone is doing so good! Healthy eating, staying sober, exercising....
I finished 2 movies. I watched smashed and when a man loves a woman. Now I'm looking for some more inspiration. I'm at 32 days and yesterday my AV was really talking. It's not even right now that I'm thinking about, it's the future. Telling myself that I'm sure I can at least have 1 drink in a social setting on down the road. I feel great but also edgy and confused.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Made it to 18! Yeah!
Out to dinner. Many others had cocktails and wine and I was fine with Virgin Mary and waters!
Grateful I will have another solid night’s sleep!
Grateful for another sober day!
Grateful I realize alcohol is an addictive, carcinogenic poison that has very much damaged my body and life.
Grateful I realize that even one drink will retrigger cravings, addiction, desire!
Grateful the further I am from a drink, the better I feel and the easier it gets!
Very much enjoyed sober dinner! I could be thoughtful and calm and compassionate and enjoy myself! I was fun and social and much better than drunk and obnoxious!
Another victory!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Day 18 also today - its 710am in the UK and I'm just getting up to work a 10 hour shift. I am still feeling very tired and I won't be able to have a nap today. Anyway I had to bake some cupcakes to sell for charity so takin those into work today. I do cook but don't normally bake cakes. The icing I just couldn't get right but they do look quite pretty with the decorations I bought to go on top.
Off to work tired but clear headed and depression free. I will catch up with the thread when I get home. Have a good day X