Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 2

Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Susiesmiles: way to go on the days! And on trying meditation!
Is there a reason you are thinking about the “can of Rita”? If it’s bothering you, is there a reason you are keeping it that is consistent with your desire to live a sober life?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

I think that is a very good reason to stay at home Linners!!

Bit of a potential trigger situation earlier. Went over to neighbour's house after some snow fun with the kids, used to drink wine at theirs, it really made me fancy a glass. They know my situation so really don't think they'd offer me one but still, it was a bit of a surprise feeling. Need to be more aware. Christmas party at work on Thursday, hmmmmmmmm the whole focus will be alcohol for most although a work friend is also driving so won't be on my own. I actually drove to it last year but then clearly drank when got home, won't be able to do that this time.

Sorry, bit of a "me" post!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Day 20 almost 3 weeks which is usually my danger area as a Binge drinker. I should be alright. I may have an interview this week for a pretty good job.. have to call on it tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a safe & sober weekend!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  

Way to go CAGY!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  

JJ: good luck with the upcoming party.
I relate to the trigger from neighbors. I suspect we are all surrounded by similar situations. I am trying to remember it’s an addictive poison rather than a fun social lubricant.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Nice going, CNGY! I did some more work on my resume today...meaning I selected a different template and wrote my name. Ugh...resume writing is the worst.

JJ, it's good that your neighbors knew you're not drinking. If not that could have been a close one. Yup, I relate to the triggers and like I said earlier I think it's about gradually regaining old associations with things. Right now, it's the habit speaking, but in time that will fade away. For me, my triggers have been music and as much as I hate to say it, my artwork. Drinking is only slightly social for me, like I've said it's primarily an at home thing, a way to relax, destress, escape. I used to love to listen to my pandora playlists and paint and drink. That is, until I lost the off switch and context entirely and woke up the next day feeling horrendous.

I've been staying away from old playlists that make me feel some kinda way, and reminding myself that I've been an artist long before I was a drinker and can certainly create without booze.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  

CNGY, stick with it, keep posting daily, we are here! Hope you get that interview.

Strugglingtoget, hot chocolate is a must! keeps the poison at bay!

Linners, most of my drinking was at home too. It was hard to break the habit but I think I have now (at 76 days). The brain training will clearly take longer. I was so surprised by the urge earlier to drink at the neighbour's... So is art your main line of work or your hobby? I used to love art but music was (& still is) my main hobby.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  

JJ, it's been a lifelong hobby but in the last couple years I've been working it into more of a side business. I have another job that used to be full time but recently switched to part time in order to dedicate more time to this . So the days when I "work" from home, that is what I'm doing.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 509 (permalink)  

Just got back from the gym...it's my third time there since joining a 2 weeks ago. Not great, but 3 workouts so far is better than none. I can't believe how out of shape I've gotten. And fat...in 3 years of regular drinking, I've put on 30 lbs. Really glad I've started to take steps to putting this period of my life behind me and getting myself, my outlook, my life, back in shape.

Anyway, did 30 min on the treadmill making sure I stayed within my target heart range, and then did 10 min on this funky lateral-moving elliptical machine. I actually enjoyed it!
Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 510 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread time guys:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...17-pt-3-a.html (Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 3)

D