Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #2

Old 08-08-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

JL, I'm sorry too, I also read it wrong. I feel you on the depression front. Sometimes, I just don't know how to feel better, and so I accept it is what it is and I do what I can to cheer myself up. Sometimes that just means being kind of selfish and giving yourself down time. Heal the spirit, rest the body.

Have a good day off SG!

Courage I'd love sit in on a lecture too.

Gilmer I feel like a big baby too, especially lately. I have random crying jags and internal tantrums that exhibit as irritability. Short temper and cranky.
Side effect of bottling all my head crap up. I'm afraid if I work past the tantrums I will be a crying mess. Meh. This too shall pass.
Next week I will find something else to be happy about one day, and the next crank and fuss.

Tom, if you're still around it was good to hear an update from you, sounds like things are going nicely

FBL, how's projects and works going?

Glee, I forgot to say I like your words. I forget that stuff too. My problem is I just keep piling more stuff on myself. My slow down is broke, I work the a-holic as hard as I can. :/
Do you have any vacation time on the horizon?? You sure sound like you need it.

Hi Dee

Not drinking here today.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Just thinking of a post about hangovers. Treating hangover like symptoms as a medical emergency.
It gave me 'huh' moment. I had to reread that a couple times.
In my 7 months sober I've had so many hangover wakeups I've lost count.
Don't know what to think about that one, I've been to the dr and had a full blood work up done, I know the difference between a headache and a migraine.... I've just gotten used to waking up lousy and don't think much of it.
Could be dehydration, could be meds, could be both?
I should just live at the clinic. I might be dying.
Oh wait.. aren't we all?
Dear me,

Maybe I'm a little nonplussed this morning. This morning has started off strangely.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
p***enger

What's strange, Deliza?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

2 of my kids didn't show up, and mom wasn't responding to my texts. I just heard from her though, they are home sick. It's a very unusual thing for her.
I think the twilight zone feeling is the descending veil of illness for me too.
My glands are so swollen I can hardly talk properly. This is a usual thing, I get so stressed out that I get sick. Gives my mind some numbness to not dwell on that which is stressing me.
Also, I am just strange.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hi Gang,

Yep, been a while since I last wrote....here goes...

JL, sorry for the depression that you are experiencing. I've been down the "widow-maker block" road at 47yo. It led to bypass surgery and some 16 plus years later, all is going well. Had it not been for a difficult bend where they simply could not stint, it probs would have gone well that way instead. I golfed at 4 weeks and was back playing competitive hoops in 6 weeks. Our bodies are pretty amazing. My best as this sorts out.

Not much time right now, so, as an old IBM'er would say - net it out for me.

1. Plank challenge ended in flying colors with a group of us doing Day 30 together for 5 minutes. This month is sit-ups, crunches, and squats...day 8, today, is 30-40 and 60 each...haha, climbing fast. Next Monday I start with a personal trainer and good friend to build my upper body strength for an upcoming Savage Race. For some reason, fitness is something that gives me joy in life these days.
2. Since we moved our homegroup AA meeting due to a church sale it has been only the homegroup members that have been attending. That is nice, but, we are going to make an effort to get the word out and hopefully see bigger crowds.
3. Work - Wow, lots new on this front. A few weeks ago I accepted a second part-time position with a good friend from the gym's company. So far I've been supervising crews, project manager, looking for admin efficiency gain, sales, marketing and some good ole crunch time labor assistance. I love the diversity that it offers. Sooo, I do job 1 Mon-Wed noon, and, job 2, wed aft-fri or sat.
4. Partner shopping - Lol, no, things will never be long term with JG, but, we see each other a couple times a week. I have a couple new hot prospects. One, a 24-year AA'er and I'm going to a meeting she chairs next week...the other, a gym/yoga nut-job that is a very driven and intense business owner. On our first conversation she was asking my thoughts on a presentation she has tomorrow. She and I will kayak the Chrystal River on Sunday.
5. My oldest daughter - She had her second baby and choose not to bring me into the loop...so, a few days after she was born my youngest asked if I knew about the baby when we were talking. Well, that situation has gone from bad to worse - yep, I was pissed and reacted vs following my recovery principals.
6. On a brighter baby note to end this - for those of you that know DG (Drummer Girl), well, she just had the most beautiful baby boy!!

My best to all - off on a man-horse thing...no time or desire for drankin either!

Carlos
Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hope you are feeling better Del!

Good to see that you are still squeezing 27 hours of life into each 24 hour day Carlos!

Yesterday, one of my coworkers walked in the door and immediately said," I am so hungover." I felt sympathy for him, but I couldn't help mentally doing hi fives to myself for not having a hangovers for two years now. I don't miss those mornings whatsoever .
Old 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for passing on that news Carlos - congrats drummergirl

D
Old 08-08-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry about your older daughter, Carlos.

I'm glad you are in demand and working at the things you enjoy at a pace that suits you. Sorry things aren't ever going to be permanent with JG, but it sounds as though you've developed a good friendship.

Hope things go well with the new BLs!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Yeah, congratulations, DG!

She popped into the Women's section recently with the news she was pregnant-so pleased that everything went well and she's got a boy (I dearly love my daughters, but raising boys is a blast!). I'm sure she'll be a terrific mom.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon, Del.

How are you tonight, JL?
Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sorry that you still have an estranged relationship with your daughter Carlos. I can't imagine how difficult that must be.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
p***enger

JL, how are you doing? What has the doctor recommended for you?

Carlos, I'm very sad to hear the rift between you and your oldest daughter continues. As with you, Del, and your daughter. I hope that time will mend some of the wounds on both sides.

Congratulations to drummergirl! Pass it on!

Glee -- when's vacation for you? It seems like you've had a hard summer with work and staying "on top" of things. What do you like to do for vacation?

Me, I'm over-caffeinated and dehydrated all the time, which makes me anxious and unfocused. At least that's what my know-it-all son says. I thought I needed to defrag my brain!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Carlos

Yeah I get the over caffeinated thing too courage.

Today I am just swinging between irritable, depressed and weepy & tearful.

I can see and hear the chinks in the chain of my son's father now, now that I am getting a grip on the fear and anxiety of dealing with him. He's so full of crap, and it's showing very obviously now.
We'll see how things go from here on in.

I feel better physically today. I am just all round not doing great? Too much stress.
I told my counselor over the phone yesterday that I've thought more than once about going back to treatment.
For real. I want to turn the world off for a while. I don't even know what self-care means anymore.

Meh. After Friday I only have one more day off this month.
Just get through it, then reevaluate. I project I can only keep this up until October.
I'm looking for other jobs.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I'm glad, Del.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I told my counselor over the phone yesterday that I've thought more than once about going back to treatment. .
What are the pros and cons of that, Del?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Carlos - It's so good to hear from you. My guess is that you are very intrigued by the high pressure business owner.

Awesome news on DG's baby. Please let her know I am so glad to hear that she & baby are doing well.

Gilmer - Thanks for the kind words. I am grateful that I can always count on you to say something positive. .

Those hockey moms though! Yesterday at a skills clinic, one who is a teacher was complaining to me that she's only has 3 or 4 days in a row at her (parents') beach house at a clip this summer due driving home for her kids' baseball games. She has summers off and I was thinking to myself afterwards, I've been working OT this summer. Wow. She has zero perspective. She didn't even ask me what I was doing this summer.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

You sound so low Del. Is going back to treatment a serious option for you? Like Courage, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Glee, I hear ya. Many people have zero perspective on how others live everyday life.

Just got back from a Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) show that blew me away. It is amazing how many of their lyrics ring true today.

Best wishes for a good day today!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I'm glad it was a great concert, SG. Pink Floyd is my youngest son's favorite band. He would have loved a Roger Waters concert!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My work projects are all coming along, slow but sure. They will keep me busy for the rest of the year, at least.

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

You too, FBL!