Notices

Class of March 2016 part 40

Old 01-29-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in. Day 4. Went to church this morning and now my in-laws are here to celebrate my FIL's bd. Fortunately, they don't drink at all. I need to clean big time, but still haven't gotten to it. My AV always kicks in and says it would be much more fun if you drank while you cleaned. My argument today is going to be it's not worth the hang over and regret I'll feel in the morning. One day at a time ...

Love you all!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hi everyone, just checking in. Day 4. Went to church this morning and now my in-laws are here to celebrate my FIL's bd. Fortunately, they don't drink at all. I need to clean big time, but still haven't gotten to it. My AV always kicks in and says it would be much more fun if you drank while you cleaned. My argument today is going to be it's not worth the hang over and regret I'll feel in the morning. One day at a time ...

Love you all!
I'm on day 6 Ladybug and I need to clean too! But I'm pampering myself for a while. I can clean later! LOL.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LB - I hear you on the drinking and cleaning nonsense...used to be the same here. But since I don't drink anymore that has changed. I currently have a clean house and am treating myself to a couple of peanut butter cookies and a Hot Chocolate Tea. Life is good.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Have you ever heard the saying that "winners never quit and quitters never win"?
That's not true in our case! It's the quitters that win.

We are quitters! We Win!!!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Abe's beard is iconic. I wonder what happened to the muzza? 0739 Monday . Weather warming up more- bush fire warnings increasing. To stay in check with the whole dad/bro thing am watching very serious moving pictures. At present 'Wolverine Origins'. Hugh is 'strain AND he's got a beard- BUT I had mine first.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday/Monday everyone

Today is the last day of my 2 week liver cleanse program.....one more dose tonight. That means it's been 3 weeks since I last drank ~ I normally don't try to keep track of days, but this is around the time where I start to get edgy. Focus, Purps!!!

BBG ~ in the SMART handbook there's a section on identifying triggers with charts and worksheets. I'll see if there's an online version that I can share on here.

Annnnnd.....the countdown to Puppy Bowl continues ~ only one week to go! Here's a link to this year's starting lineup ~ Team "Ruff" vs Team "Fluff"
Puppy Bowl XIII Starting Lineup | Puppy Bowl | Animal Planet
Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Happy Sunday/Monday everyone
BBG ~ in the SMART handbook there's a section on identifying triggers with charts and worksheets. I'll see if there's an online version that I can share on here.
Thanks Purp. I appreciate that!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Here is a section from the handbook - I personally haven't attempted the urge log yet....haven't gotten that far into the chapter. Maybe that's something I can work on....anyway, I hope this helps

EXERCISE: Identifying your triggers - What is a trigger?
Triggers are the things that lead to cravings (I want to) which can lead to urges (I need to). They may be your emotions; something you've done, are doing, or want to do; a time of day, week, or year; something you touch, hear, see,smell, or taste; or anything else that leads to urges. Each of us has our own triggers.

They are not excuses to use and they are not unpredictable.

Addictive behavior teaches your brain to associate some things with pleasure or relief you feel when indulging in the addictive behavior. Even when you stop, your brain will be reminded about the addictive behavior when you encounter triggers, or allow yourself to conjure up triggers.

Your brain can unlearn this thinking reaction (I want to) to a trigger. These reactions may last a while but will eventually decrease to be the briefest (milliseconds) of unhelpful thoughts. As humans, brief, ridiculous, and unhelpful thoughts come into our heads all the time about things we quickly dismiss for what they are - silly thoughts and no more. The more serious urges (I need to) usually subside in a few days, weeks, or months.

To identify your triggers, think about the substances or behaviors that stimulate your senses: Sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch. Make a list. You may not be aware of how many there are. How many can you identify? Be honest and list them all, even if they seem insignificant.

Identifying my triggers - List Addictive Behavior / Trigger examples

Trigger Risks - Rate each one on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the riskiest)

Trigger: Unpleasant emotions: Anger, frustration, grief, etc. Repeat with the following:

Trigger: Pleasant emotions: Joy, peace, anticipation, etc.

Trigger: Unpleasant physical sensations: Pain, cold, heat,etc.

Trigger: Stress - Peer pressure, work issues, general fear, financial concerns, etc.

Trigger: Conflict with others: Spouse, co-worker, boss, children, parents, etc.

Trigger: Physical place or time: Restaurant, park, with friends, car, work, summer, evening, etc.

Others:

Trigger Worksheet
My addictive behavior/Trigger/Risk 1-10

Urge log: a chart where you can document each urge as it occurs:
Date/Time/Rate 1-10/Length of urge/What triggered my urge?/Where, who was I with?/How I coped and my feelings about coping/Alternative activities, substitute behaviors
Old 01-29-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been very active this past week. Only checking in once a day or so. That's not good for me. Day 28, and still going, but I'm not feeling well mentally and emotionally. Some depression is settling in: having trouble focusing, having trouble falling asleep, headaches, weepiness, feeling very alone. I normally shut these feelings off but am trying to ride them out. I know they will pass. But damn, I'm tired of feeling like this. I need to up my recovery game to counter act some of this, I think. Meetings are a good start to that I know. There is a early afternoon meeting near my work. I just have to get to work earlier so I can take the time away mid-day. That's going to be hard with feeling the way I am already...I'm not sure if adding something to my plate is going to be a good thing or not.

Anyway, checking in since I know I have been drifting away a little and that's a red flag for me.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Here is a section from the handbook - I personally haven't attempted the urge log yet....haven't gotten that far into the chapter. Maybe that's something I can work on....anyway, I hope this helps
Thanks so much Purp. I've copied and saved this. Very helpful.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Purplrks - wow...great resource! Thanks for sharing!

CH - sorry you're feeling down. I have felt the same way recently. Glad to see you checking in and exploring options to help you protect your sobriety though. Keep posting and stay close...even when you don't want to. Connection is good...isolation is not. Love you!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

CH whenever I start drifting away it means drinking is not very far away. At least that's my past history.

Stick close. Post a lot.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've stuck to my eating schedule today. Dinner is running a little late. I'm waitin' on cornbread to get done. Maybe this is gonna' be easier than I thought!
Old 01-29-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the passages Purpkrks3647 and the link to the puppy bowl teams! I hope you feel better soon clearheaded.
Have a good evening Marchers
Old 01-29-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well heading to bed soon. Just finishing up The Revenant with DH...not exactly light-hearted viewing but a very good movie (Pelagic - it seems I am a year behind in my movie watching)

BBG - great job today...also cornbread sounds yummy!!

Hi Upstairs!!

Thank you for another sober week-end class. I am grateful for each and every one of you.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hugs CH ~ Good that you're recognizing the signs and taking action! Stay close by, as I need to as well

And hugs to you all! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, thanks everyone for being here ~ you guys are the greatest!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good night folks. There wasn't but 3 episodes of BBT tonight and they're over now. But I'm gonna' lay down and watch tv anyway. Dunno' what I'm gonna' watch!

Catch ya' tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. Putting myself and day 28 to bed. Thanks for being here.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well another d/m counselling session- where this lady (fill-in) thinks I am 'amazing and I (her) feel privileged to support you (me)'. What does that mean?
Well- this lady has street smarts. Lots. Plus all the qualies and experience to fill a library. So why do I discredit such feedback? I am sure she did not say it to be a people pleaser. She is a paid professional. So that tells me something about myself. So to stop my head exploding am now getting really into the esoteric side of life- watching Terminator- Genysis (again). I am not sure if he'll be back.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning class!

Back to work today and soooo excited....said no one ever. Already had two sick calls so that's starting the day off on a pretty poor foot.

Feeling tired and cranky as well....for no reason in particular....and just trying to embrace the rollercoaster of sobriety.

Well after that uplifting post I am off....happy Monday!