Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 9

Old 06-12-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Blimey Sim and Elke you're both pretty busy! 2 career women in demand!
Start of a drizzly week here in the UK. I got quite a lot done at the weekend and took the girls swimming on Sunday. One of those places with waves and big slides (they love it there!) It's one of those places I probably go about once every 3 months or so and it struck me how nice it was going and feeling good. I've been many times before nursing a hangover or treating the girls out of guilt. I must admit I do like rewriting my experiences with places. I know we can't change the past but each day further away from it it a great thing.
Funnily enough speaking of work (well you guys were lol) I had my appraisal last week. I've been dreading it as my head was all over the place for a few weeks when I got sober this time. It went okay, not brilliant but considering everything I feel pretty lucky at how it went. I really want to step up now. Not push myself too hard but being reliable and consistent both at work and at home is important. I've spent too long stunting my progress with booze it's time I became more of a real life "grown up".
So here's to our ventures ladies (and gents lol)!!!!
Have a lovely week catch up soon ❤❤❤
Old 06-13-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Well done with your appraisal Jo, I can't stand work appraisals.... what a nice idea to treat yourself to a dive in the waves :-)

Sim, good luck with the work at your old employer, you're very loyal there... very inspiring X

My first day went well, going back to work in a huge office building brought back memories when I was in the rat race in London...

Wishing everyone a good rest of the week.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday! It's been another long week here. Trying to follow my own advice by practicing some balance and giving myself a "down" evening. Lots going on and I'm feeling both mentally and physically drained. Finally got a new lead on what may be contributing to my optical issues....so off for more testing for me....more vascular studies. On 1 hand I'm hoping everything comes back clear, on the other hand, this may be being caused by another seemingly unrelated issue I've been having for the past couple of years that can be treated with surgery....so it would be kind of nice to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. We shall see.
Another source of stress is coming from trying to help someone cope with the loss of their child. It's painful to share in that experience with another.....like tearing a scab off a wound. But I remember that lonely place. That dark place. And I refuse to watch someone suffer alone.
I hope everyone is well. It's Oma weekend so I expect to be busy, busy with 2 kids running in 2 different directions, with an infant crying and toys strewn about......heaven
Old 06-17-2017, 02:37 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Morning all! Its Saturday mornimg and the forecast is for an absolutely scorching weekend! Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet (apart from pegging a lot of washing out lol). We did think about doing a car boot sale tomorrow morning and I'm fighting my inner lazy cow at the thought of being up at 6am to do it!
Had a pretty good week all in all. It was our week of my partner being on nights so that was a bit triggery for me I must admit. Last night was awful I was almost planning my trip to the shop! But I've come too far now. I've suffered enough at the hands of that poison. So I dug a little deeper (ate chocolate lol!) and here I am safe and sound again. I've seen many (myself included) people on this site give up after a few weeks and it's such a damn shame so this time I'm in for the long term. I can still remember how dreadful my last withdrawal was and I vowed that it was the last one. If staying on long term recovery is the biggest achievement of my adult life then I'll be quite happy.
I hope everyone is well. Enjoy your oma duties Sim! Hope the job is goimg well Elke!
Love you guys ❤❤❤
Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday! Today is 206 for me. Last go round I relapsed on Day 207.....so I'm about to hit a milestone.....and weirdly enough right on que my own AV has been more active. These days I'm viewing my AV more as an "idiot light" than an actual urge for alcohol. Not sure if the lingo is the same across the pond but here,"idiot lights" are the lights on the dashboard of your car that light up to indicate something is wrong (ie: overheating, low oil pressure, low tire pressure). Well, the presence of my AV is alerting me that something needs attention. So I'm slowing things down; giving myself plenty of rest, staying hydrated, taking "breaks" as I need them, and just plain giving myself permission to be human and imperfect. Which is good because my life is incredibly imperfect but I am sober. I have clarity of mind and I'm becoming reacquainted with the real me

Jo-That's how it's done girl! Dig in those heels and eat chocolate!!! Thankfully the craving and the AV wither and die a little bit every time we deny them control over our lives. So keep on keeping on! Destination: Freedom! And that is quite an accomplishment indeed!

Elke-Hope your work trip is going well and you're "working in" a bit of down time as well!

PJ- U still out there friend?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Everyone! Figured I better pop in before grandchild #1 awakes and chaos ensues Milestone Day 207! Hope everyone has a great day!
Jo- what is a car boot sale?
Old 06-18-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Congrats to 207 days Sim nn

And great going for kicking the old AV up the backside Jo!

I'm still in Germany, longer than I had planned but it's great to spend time with my mum and my brothers and sisters. It feels like a treat :-)

Everyday I'm grateful that I'm not drinking because life is soooo much better without being drunk and feeling miserable.

Wishing you all a good and sober week X
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hey Sim and Elke and anyone else dropping by for a chat. It's a flipping boiling day here today! Funny how weather extremes remind you of things.....some good some not so good. Bit like music and smells....they evoke memories don't they? I think some of my past drinking episodes are coming into my thoughts. Only natural really and I'm letting them a bit but not enough to get me down. Had a lovely little bbq yesterday and I can strongly recommend barbequed banana! Yum yum! So nice to enjoy things without sneaking around to glug wine from the bottle and have to try to act sober. How stupid! So many little things make me grateful to be sober. I'm now realising hiw much my girls still need me and it is a blessing. Bless my youngest has got awful hayfever her little eyes are puffy (she actually looks cute but its not nice). Eldest has got a maths exam Thursday and maths is my thing so I'm revision guru mum at the minute. Little things that without doibt wouldn't have got done before. Thank God I've got my act together for them and for me.
Planned the 6 week school holidays with my mum too. Got it all planned out and might even get away for another week. A nice UK beach resort Devon maybe I'm not sure. To be honest I'm not awash with money but it'll be worth it I'm sure.
Today is 2 months for me!!!! I'm really happy about it. I don't expect it to be plain sailing but my commitment to continued recovery is still strong!
Have a great day all ❤❤❤
Old 06-19-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Oh nice one Sim, yes please come to the UK, you, Jo and I travelling the British Isles, praying for peace on earth and drinking sparkling water :-)

You have another mile stone, is it 2 months of not smoking?

I'm the same, still very much committed to my recovery. I'm struggling with sweets. Sometimes I can't stop eating. It's better since I'm busy working again and the adrenaline is high so I'll try to keep it under control.

Have a good and sober Tuesday. Thinking of you all.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good week guys

D
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Happy Saturday! Today is 206 for me. Last go round I relapsed on Day 207.....so I'm about to hit a milestone.....and weirdly enough right on que my own AV has been more active. These days I'm viewing my AV more as an "idiot light" than an actual urge for alcohol. Not sure if the lingo is the same across the pond but here,"idiot lights" are the lights on the dashboard of your car that light up to indicate something is wrong (ie: overheating, low oil pressure, low tire pressure). Well, the presence of my AV is alerting me that something needs attention. So I'm slowing things down; giving myself plenty of rest, staying hydrated, taking "breaks" as I need them, and just plain giving myself permission to be human and imperfect. Which is good because my life is incredibly imperfect but I am sober. I have clarity of mind and I'm becoming reacquainted with the real me

Jo-That's how it's done girl! Dig in those heels and eat chocolate!!! Thankfully the craving and the AV wither and die a little bit every time we deny them control over our lives. So keep on keeping on! Destination: Freedom! And that is quite an accomplishment indeed!

Elke-Hope your work trip is going well and you're "working in" a bit of down time as well!

PJ- U still out there friend?
I really liked that "idiot light" analogy, Simplicity. Hope you don't mind that I shared it with my March 2016 class. Congrats on days 207+ and hope everyone here is doing well!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Happy Sunday Everyone! Figured I better pop in before grandchild #1 awakes and chaos ensues Milestone Day 207! Hope everyone has a great day!
Jo- what is a car boot sale?
Lol a car boot sale is basically packing up a your unwanted stuff and driving to a field and selling it. Not a random field of course (thatd be weird haha!). Bit like a big outdoor market of second hand tat! I must admit I didn't do it on Sunday I was on revision duties with my eldest. Plus it was boiling hot and my tan needed attention!
Elke I love the idea of us on a UK road trip praying for world peace! Picture us.....3 weirdos meditating in the lake district! Brilliant! I'm in!!!
Have a great week guys ❤❤❤
Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Elke I'm just the same with sweets! Shocking really my current fave treat is cake I can polish one off quite easily! Oops! Oh well.....healthy eating is the next challenge but not quite yet (I ❤ cake!)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Morning All! Can't believe it's Wednesday already!!!! Awesome job on 2 months Jo Sounds like we all have a sweet tooth these day! Got me some chocolate cake on hand myself! Yummy! Glad to hear you found time to visit with the fam Elke.....all work + no play =not much fun!
I'm in on the road trip! Definitely wouldn't mind meditating aboard with you 2 fabulous ladies!
Casey-Hi there! Good to see ya!
Well off to work for this lady
Wishing y'all a super great day!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! It sounds like y'all are all doing well!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Morning Mayflies! Can't wait for the weekend to get here! Sim needs some serious R&R! Hi Toot! How have you been friend?
Wishing y'all a happy Thursday!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Just a quicky to say 'hello' it's past my bedtime and I need the zzZZ, ready for my trip home tomorrow afternoon, hurray!

I wrote a fairly long post last night and then boom and the connection went.
Sending you all good and sober vibes X
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Morning friends! Friday is finally here-Hoorah! Should be a rather short day at work today followed by a 3 day weekend (with no grandkids) so I'm relishing in the possibilities!
Elke-Ugh! I hate when I type up a long post and get logged off! It's happened so many times that I worked out a little trick....I copy the sucker so if I get logged out I can just log back in and hit paste and post Have a safe trip home!!!
Jo-Car boot sale this weekend?
Old 06-24-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Morning Mayflies!
Had a pretty good week I even managed a couple of four hour revision sessions with my daughter. She did her GCSE in statistics on Thursday and maths is my thing so I rolled my sleeves up and put Teacher Mum hat on!
Had a big test with a work night out last night. I drove to keep me safe and got my head prepared for the night. It started nicely..... good food, booze for them, sparking water for me. Then the shots came out and drinking games and we went on to some bars which I wasn't prepared for. I went along as I'd committed to driving a friend home. Once I got to the bars I felt like I'd pushed myself somewhere a little too dangerous and regretted my decision to go. Only stayed a short while and my friend was happy to leave thank God. It's left me a little uneasy. I suppose questioning if getting through sober is the only real thing that matters. Is It? Would I have caved if I'd not been driving? Does it matter? I mean Fact is I DID drive as a precaution and it did help. Was I tempted? Actually not much. Has it affected my resolve? Maybe a little if I'm being honest.....oh well I think I have learned that my plan was pretty good but I need to be a little stronger with my boundaries next time.
That being said it's Saturday morning and I'm sipping coffee and enjoying my special treat of a morning to myself. Yeah!!!!
Lots of ferrying of my daughters to do later today and I'm grateful for them every day. Plus I'm taking my daughter to her best friends house later. They are a Muslim family and we are having a girlie henna tattoo and pamper night as a pre-party for Eid. Looking forward to it they're a lovely family and of course no drinking to stress about. Bonus!
No car boot tomorrow Sim I'll be on mums taxis duties again.....plus ill avoid getting up at 6am for it too Haha!!!
Lots of love guys have a great weekend ❤❤❤
Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through Jo but I'd be cautious for a while yet - nights out can be very unpredictable...

D