Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me! Been planning for weeks for the New Year to arrive... to quit.
Yesterday was easy... today... thought about a beer late in the afternoon... then removed the usual glass of wine set at the table for me and had water instead.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Welcome Commandz, you sound just like me-I get that 3-7 day tornado you speak about. We can do this!
Old 01-02-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard commandZ & dave08950

D
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Today is day one for me and I just want it to be over so I can get to tomorrow
Old 01-02-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Back Here

Hi everyone,

Day 1 for me. Got approximately 30 mins sleep last night. The early insomnia is horrible :0(

I managed to do 10 weeks as part of March 2016 - but then hurled myself off the wagon.

Looking forward to starting again. I'm going to make it stick this time too.

The Plan:

- Smart Recovery meetings twice a week.

- See alcoholism counsellor weekly.

- Visit SR at least twice a day.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people and want to wish everyone the best of luck.

Stilts
Old 01-02-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Joe and Stilts
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Welcome Commandz, you sound just like me-I get that 3-7 day tornado you speak about. We can do this!
This in itself makes me feel better and not alone. The self loathing is pretty horrible, but I have to put one foot in front of the other❤️ Thank you
Old 01-02-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

day 2 for me, feeling different this time around. Something I like about January 1rst as day 1. Following my intensive work out plan ( always did, but more off than on due to hungover mornings ) and setting myself up with a 2020 goal. I am def taking it one step at a time and keeping it humble, but some posts on SR that I've seen during my lurking are so encouraging. People saying they didn't think they'd have a month let alone years. That can be me too, and I hope it is. I'm hoping 1,2 3 years from now I can look back and think about Jan 1rst 2017 and sigh at how different my life is now.

Progress, not perfection
Old 01-02-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi all
Jan 1st 2017 was my first day for a while. I seem to have more success doing this with others like me, on this forum.
Would love to be part of the class. day 2 for me also.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 2 check-in here. Good to see so many others joining in this class. New Year and new beginning. But for me, I know like most resolutions, I need a plan and consistent routine to be successful. Will be working on a plan today and going to the gym.

Ironically, I have used exercise and a focus on healthy eating to rationalize drinking in the past. Who else but an alcoholic like myself can focus on a healthy diet and working out, and all the while slamming 12 beers? Part of the insanity.

I am going to be more forgiving of myself this go around. I feel sometime I set myself up for failure for having too high expectations on what sobriety will be like. It's not a light switch where there is instant gratification. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyone else feel like this?

Good day to all. CW
Old 01-02-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi! Today no cravings despite being around alcohol all day today at the beach. I am really getting used to staying sober. I feel better and, dare I say, think I look better? I am really really tired tonight, prob because I was out all day, but could be that my body is healing or detoxing? Read about that on another thread.

Going to drink some more water and have an early night.

Have a good sober day y'all!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hello all. Im signing in for day 1. I want to make it my last. Its good to be back on SoberRecovery.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Day 2 for me.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to you newcomers! I am just over two months sober after a relapse. Last March I went to rehab for one month and was sober for five months. Sobriety is difficult at time but I promise you, once you get into it it is amazing in so many ways. And when it is not amazing it is just so-so, which is STILL better than the hell of active alcoholism. I cannot express how much my life has changed for the better since getting sober. In a few big ways and in a lot of small ways. It is just better. You can do this and we are all here to support you as you will be here to support us- we are all a team.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Good morning class.

It's really great to see so many posts this morning.

After a big hot bath last night (part of my early sobriety plans) I fell right to aleep. Hubby unfortunately woke me when he came to bed around 1 and I was awake for nearly 2 hours. I look forward to sleep regulating a bit in the coming days. Luckily my kids have slept in, so I got to make up on some of that sleep this morning. I didn't even hear my hubby's alarm go off!
I need to get 2 of the kids up and head to my Mom's house to help her for a while.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Day 2. Got up late, as I'd predicted from last nights tossing and turning. I'm off to get my vits and veggies now though. Still excited. I've got restless legs though. You know like a mild pain running down them hot and cold. Hot bath with some epsom salts tonight should help. Feeling strong in my resolve. Let's get this day down everyone

@circlewagons yes I distinctly remember after some months of soberdom wondering why my life hadn't magically improved O.o So I totally get where you are coming from with the high expectations. I guess its only with hindsight I can look back and say my life was improving or rather I was. Even if I couldn't see it. I had a leg injury a while back and the doctor said to me that it would heal incrementally a millimeter at a time every day, so you couldn't see it or feel it immediately but it was healing. I like to use this now as an analogy for everything. Quantum leaps are rare but progression is certain if we just keep taking the right baby steps.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Starting day 1 today. Was doing good until holidays came around. Lost my mom this year so holidays were very hard to get through without her. Will get back on track with all of you. Let's get this year started with being healthy together!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

JackDs, I like that analogy!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

This is my new start. I am on day 2. Let's do it and keep recovering every day!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi January class of 2017! It's good to see all of you here!
I was right where you are in 2016 and was a heavy daily & binge drinker for over 30 years. So I didn't take detox lightly and worked with my doctor the first few months.

Here is what helped me:
Lots of water & I do mean LOTS of water (more than you can ever imagine in one day, up to 100 ounces if you can) to flush out the alcoholic toxins, light healthy food, preferably warm if you can manage it, lots of rest & self care including warm baths or showers, chamomile or sleepy time tea is great for anxiety, and anything else to keep your mind occupied. Deep breathing & meditation exercises really help (check out free ones on youtube), pray, laugh at silly video clips (also on youtube). If you can, take vacation time or other leave during the initial withdrawal stages. And read around SR all you can!!!

I also marked each 24-hr. increments in my calendar as it helped me mentally work through the withdrawal symptoms during that 1st crucial week.

Post often & support each other. Best wishes to all, this is a great month to start recovery and is usually the biggest class of the year. Take advantage of all that sharing.