Notices

One Year & Over Part 44

Old 12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hi, Kris! Good to see you!
Old 12-21-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Kris! Nice to meet you. I had cataract surgery done last year and the improvement was amazing.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Thinking of you today Sass, and sending cyber hugs through the ether.

IP, so sorry for your loss, a close relationship with a grandparent can be a singularly exceptional one in life. I was very fortunate to have know three loving grandparents all sadly now gone. I hope 2017 brings you reasons to practise your beautiful smile!
Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Hi, Kris! Good to see you!
Thanks, Glimmer. Always Good to see you.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Hi Kris! Nice to meet you. I had cataract surgery done last year and the improvement was amazing.
Hi Stargazer! Nice to meet up with you.

That's fantastic. Hoping the same happens for me.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Kris!

I had cataract surgery and the no glasses "Restor" lenses. I think they goofed as they took away my close vision. So next week I go in and have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the surgeon. Lots of folks are intimidated by docs. I look at them like any other hired help I pay for.

Today we buried my FIL. Barksdale AFB sent out a military honor guard, firing party, bugler, to do the flag ceremony and gun salute:
If you've never been to one, here is an example of the same Air Force honor guard, flag ceremony, firing party, and taps solo as they gave us today:
Pt1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeGj-6zB6UA
Pt2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htK4S9-zd9g
Pt3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBeqWjUFlkw

We had him at the funeral home first and our cousin, a minister, gave us a touching eulogy for his uncle. We then went to the cemetery where the weather was perfect, and the honor guard, firing party, and bugler were waiting. They performed flawlessly and my wife, being the oldest of his two children, two received flag.

I held my water through it all until taps and the rifle salute. He retired after 20 years of honorable service in the USAF like me following him with 27 years. His honor and the camaraderie we shared came flooding back all at once, while I stood at attention for the last time, and saluted him.

He would have said they did him proud.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Itchy, sounds like a beautiful funeral service for your FIL.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hello Kris, and good luck with your cataract surgery. Everyone I know who has had it says they wish they had done it sooner.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Thanks Wolfie, we're travelling to my step mums on Friday, just for the day. Hopefully storm Barbara won't be too bad!

Hi Kris! Good luck in January with your eye surgery.

Last day at work for me today until 3rd January. Hospital later on, the parking is atrocious at Scunthorpe hospital and afternoons are busy times. Last time it took nearly an hour to wait for an available parking space, nearly missed my appointment, which then I had to wait 3/4 hour late for. Happy days. I'm trying not to let it stress me out, why should it?

Have a super Thursday.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Do your best

(((Itch)))

Good luck with the hospital apt Mags x

Morning Overs
Old 12-21-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Kris my sober littermate! Great to see you here! I know you spend a lot of time on the 24 hour thread (possibly 24'hours - I see that little red nose reindeer all the time!) but I only pop in to post my commitment and rarely hang about there, so it's good to have you back here. How's things?

Sounds like a very respectful send off Itchy.

Mags I hope you don't suffer too badly with wind over Christmas! Seriously it does sound like we might be getting rather a blowy time, I hope it doesn't close our bridge or it's a real detour to get around to the next one.

Have a ThermalUndies Thursday, those who are getting it chilly! ( a ThermalUndieless Thursday those who aren't!!!!)
Old 12-22-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much, many words of wisdom that I need to listen to. You are all right that we must all beware of that sneaking voice inside. (I can't remember how to do the quote thingy so my dodgy memory will have to do!)

Itch, my condolences to you and the family, and hugs! Men (and women) need to cry in my world, for I sometimes think that 'holding it together' is often what gets us to our darkest days. I am glad you could share your tears for your dear FIL. xx

Feeling and expressing our feelings shows our vulnerability and being able to be vulnerable is authentic and allows for real connection. It is at the heart of our human condition. (oops.....I think I'm talking AT myself here! forgive me!)

IP! How lovely to see you, and if it was me spending time with you back in those early days, it must have been because you were great company! I am glad to hear it helped.

Dee & RZ.....short, sweet and to the point! As I remembered and always valued. Thanks.

Toots...was it you who talked about being able to reward ourselves in a healthy manner to acknowledge our accomplishments? I think THIS is at the crux of my 'issue'. I still, deep inside, do not believe I deserve all the good things that are finally happening for me! I must work on that. And find rewards that are healthy....heck, I need to reward myself at all, and accept that it is ok to do so! Thanks.

I have finally finished my degree (at 46!) after presenting a research project to panel that earned me a 100% ( I still ask if that is even possible at that level of study tbh). In my final week at university I was invited to interview at 3 employers, and 2 weeks ago was offered a position that I really wanted! I will start in the New Year, as they were prepared to wait so that I could have a holiday with my boy.

I am moving in to a new house on the 4th Jan, and for many reasons this is a success. As a poor student, I had to move in to a converted barn (it was idyllic in the country setting) however it hasn't had a flush toilet!! Loooooong story....But now I can afford to move to a fabulous new place, with oodles of outside space for my boy to play his sports, and it has 2 flush toilets. The small things in life. Haha.

So, with more personal progress on top of that, I find myself thinking that I really don't deserve it. Maybe subconsciously I feel a need to self destruct again? I'm talking it all out with a therapist who has been a huge support over the years.....so on top of that, coming here a bit may be what I really need.

Anyway....onwards from the dreary topic!

Summer solstice here today I believe, longest day. We went to the beach this evening with friends, my boy swimming at 6pm! The water was surprisingly warm, and the sun still hot enough to get a bit of colour! 10pm now and I'm feeling all hot and bothered with the heat still!

Take care all xxx
Old 12-22-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

GOOD Day Everyone,

Hi Itchy,

It sounds like a very befitting funeral for your FIL; one who gave his service for all others.
I'm sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope they can go back in and fix things.
I will be getting the General Lense as it would have cost 6 thousand extra plus 20% for the Universal lense. I'll just be happy to see much better if things go well. I had an accident that cut my retna and not sure until they go in if the lense will even work. So we'll see. Wishing you the best on your follow through with your surgeon.

Hello Groundhog and thanks for the headsup.

Hi Wolfie.

Mags, good luck with your appt. Hope it goes smoother this time around.

Hi Toots, Sober twin.

Hello Manz. We need to always take care of ourselves so we can be there for others. Congrats on your degree!

Off soon to a doc appt myself.

Happy the days will start getting longer again now.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've worked hard Manz - I'm sure you deserve all of it. Banish that AV

D
Old 12-22-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I'm glad your FIL got an excellent funeral befitting his dignity, Itch.

Manx, that is wonderful about the research project, the degree at last, the great new job--and the new home with the two flush toilets!

Sounds like a a beautiful start to the new year!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hi, Kris! Nice to "see" you on the overs thread!

Itch, sounds like a wonderful send-off. My Dad (Air Force) also got the full honors with a special treat of my cousin (a semi-professional musician) doing Taps. My Mom has the flag proudly displayed in a special case in her room.

Today is 7 years and 6 months sober for me. Don't know where the time has gone, but I'm sure as hell enjoying it

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats FBL

D
Old 12-22-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-45-a.html

D