Notices

Class of March 2016 part 28

Old 08-14-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
I really don't care Thirteenth. Ha. I was just messing with you. I was just trying to entertain myself today while I did boring paperwork.
Of course, but I also don't to be on you bad side.

Thanks, immri, I'm still working for what you have.

Sounds like you're kicking ass, Keets. Maybe he's drinking, maybe he's not. Never forget that you can only control what you do.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thirteenth View Post
Of course, but I also don't to be on you bad side. Thanks, immri, I'm still working for what you have. Sounds like you're kicking ass, Keets. Maybe he's drinking, maybe he's not. Never forget that you can only control what you do.
YOU on my BAD side? No way.....!!! You're silly!!!

I read your earlier posts. I don't think I had a moment of clarity or a switch flip. I just made a decision. I decided I didn't want to die and I didn't want to waste anymore of my life drunk.

Have you ever seen the documentary "Rain in My Heart"?
https://youtu.be/lwv7Utcf-gM

That's the future for us if we keep drinking. :-( A slow painful death.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everyone should watch this 3 & 1/2 minute video! We are ALL worthy! We are ALL loved! We are all special!

https://youtu.be/1APw1Ux9w4M
Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Home now. Work was slow. It probably will be for the next month or so as people get back in their school/children routines.

Originally Posted by Thirteenth View Post
Thanks for the response on what changed, Bobbie. And to all I repeat the request about the feeling or whatever it was that got you on the sober path. Please share if you feel comfortable.
For me, the stopping drinking happened BEFORE the changes in my thinking really started. I've known for a long time I needed to stop and have had hundreds if not thousands of mornings where I woke up saying, "I'm never going to drink again." Most of those ultimatums didn't last a single day but some of them did last for seven to ten days and a few longer than that. But there was nothing truly special about March 13 this year. I wasn't any more hungover than normal, hadn't done anything extra stupid the day before while or after drinking. But for whatever reason, the days started piling up and then I really made those connections back here again and then my thinking started changing and I made some definite recovery plans that I've stuck with and now I'm very confident in saying I won't drink again.

Make yourself do thirty days. That's a manageable amount. Give yourself some time for your brain and thinking and body to start healing.

And congrats on ganking shotgun from KiKi. That made me laugh. I kept checking in hoping I'd get it but it was hard to do from work.

Going to go kill some dragons. Hope everyone is having a safe and sober evening. Keep an eye on us, Bat-immri!
Old 08-14-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

And to all I repeat the request about the feeling or whatever it was that got you on the sober path. Please share if you feel comfortable.
Probably easier if I just post these links Thirteenth?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Terror got me to the starting line, but it was really wanting something better that kept me going.

D
Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
YOU on my BAD side? No way.....!!! You're silly!!!

I read your earlier posts. I don't think I had a moment of clarity or a switch flip. I just made a decision. I decided I didn't want to die and I didn't want to waste anymore of my life drunk.

Have you ever seen the documentary "Rain in My Heart"?
https://youtu.be/lwv7Utcf-gM

That's the future for us if we keep drinking. :-( A slow painful death.
I was aware of it, but hadn't seen it. Now I have. A painful reminder for a slow learner.

Thank you all for sharing.

I've read your story Dee, but there's no reason to not read it again. Perhaps this thick skull will be gotten through.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You're mean Casey! You were trying to steal shot gun from me too? Lol. Hahahaha
Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Goodnight friends. :-)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
I've known for a long time I needed to stop and have had hundreds if not thousands of mornings where I woke up saying, "I'm never going to drink again." Most of those ultimatums didn't last a single day but some of them did last for seven to ten days and a few longer than that. But there was nothing truly special about March 13 this year. I wasn't any more hungover than normal, hadn't done anything extra stupid the day before while or after drinking. But for whatever reason, the days started piling up and then I really made those connections back here again and then my thinking started changing and I made some definite recovery plans that I've stuck with and now I'm very confident in saying I won't drink again.

Make yourself do thirty days. That's a manageable amount. Give yourself some time for your brain and thinking and body to start healing.
I guess that's the crazy, or stupid, thing, I rarely if ever have those never again thoughts. The last time I felt that way a while ago and it didn't stop me. So what's next? I'd very much prefer to not hurt anyone before I come to my senses but I'm just not getting it.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I don't know. Maybe you're overthinking all of this? You keep coming here for a reason, Thirteenth. There's gotta be some part of you that wants a change. Like I said, give sobriety a real shot. Thirty days. One month. That's a short time compared to how long we've all been drinking. But it's enough time that maybe you'll start finding these answers you're looking for.

Heading to bed. I think I've finally officially burned myself out on my current video game obsession. Thank goodness. Or maybe I shouldn't sleep yet. I've got 19 minutes left where I can say I'm only 41 years old. Better take full advantage of them. Thanks to all of you for helping me stay sober one more day! Sweet dreams everyone.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I shared somewhere, maybe in another thread of how I once walked a few miles there and back in a horrendous tropical storm to get a drink.

That's just one of my ludicrous 'what I'd do to get wasted' stories.

I found that sometimes you have to apply that much commitment and dedication and put in that much effort into not drinking, especially in the early days.

Recovery didn't just drop in my lap, unfortunately.

D
Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday for tomorrow Casey (today here )
Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Casey!
Old 08-15-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy happy birthday Casey!!

So funny catching up on the shotgun posts!

Little one had me up nice and early today. Hubs and my date day went well yesterday, the ropes course was crazy awesome. Would not have been able to do that with a hangover, that is for sure. Nice to know we can still do stuff like that, even the hard ones, at 33/34. We haven't been exercising regularly though so I am SO SORE RIGHT NOW, hahaha!

Excuse me while I hobble off for some coffee.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning. Off for our 2 hour road trip to dd2's orientation. Going to be a long day.

Have a great day everyone!

Will check in later.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning - checking in. I am taking a sick day today.

Happy birthday Casey!!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Nice to see so many positive posts - some really great and helpful comments. Thanks.

Casey - HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! And congrats on your continued sobriety. Take it easy on those dragons

I am stuck posting from my phone for a while. My son convinced me that my nifty MacBook Air would be much more valuable to him back at school than it would ever be to me. Ha. I'll pick up a replacement at some point, but it's not high on my list. I guess somewhat proving his point.

Thirteenth, I'm having a hard time figuring out where you are at, mentally. I would echo Casey's comment though. Try to commit to some period of time - 30 days or even just 10 days. Your actual reality changes when you string together sober days. Maybe that's what you need? A reality shift? Good luck!!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Happy Birthday darling Casey xxxxx I knew there was a reason I was drawn back to SR tonight!! Happy to report I'm still sober ...yippee!!! Life has been wonderful.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Casey! I'm still here. Sorry everyone for being gone. This has not been a good summer for me more later ok?
Xoxox
Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 156. If months were 26 days long, I'd be 6 months sober today. But they're not, so I guess I'll just be happy with my five months and two days.

Yes, it's my birthday. #42. The answer to life, the universe, and everything. Going to go eat dinner with my dad and step-mom and nephew and niece and baby sister and her boyfriend this evening. No other plans. I got today's shift at work covered a couple of weeks ago because I'll take any excuse to not work, right?

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Bobbieka. Have a safe trip.

Applekat! It's day 156. You know what that means? We'll assume that's an ice-cold fresh squeezed lemonade in that emoticon's hand, ok? Next emoticon is due 52 days from now on day 208. October 6, 2016. Put it on your calendar now.

There's something very liberating about taking the occasional sick day, Samantha. Enjoy yours!

I think I'm officially done killing dragons for a while, ManInTheArena. Last night was the third day in a row where I turned it off after like 20 minutes instead of going on for hours and hours. Anyways, glad to see you check in, phone or otherwise.

An appearance by Mish is a wonderful birthday present! Glad to hear you're still sober and hope you'll stick around for a while. I mention you very often. Be crocwise!

And, wow, an appearance by Jemma as well! You're also often mentioned. Sorry things have been rough. We're here if you need to talk or yell or cry it out. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

I think I may fall asleep again for an hour or so. Hope everyone else checks in soon. Build up those accountability muscles. And always remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what!