Notices

Class of March 2016 Part 18

Old 06-01-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I guess they checked my heart and my blood and thought she's fine. I did actually hear the doctor telling the crisis counsellor that I'm not an alcoholic.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm actually pissed for you, Sam. You went to the fricking ER for because you are having a crisis related to alcohol and they blow you off?!? That's pretty negligent if you ask me. I think Bobbie ha some good advice for getting through the withdrawals, but if you feel like you need medical attention do not hesitate going back to the hospital. I'm with you in spirit!!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Kiki - sending strength to you your son! I wish more parents taught their children empathy. It would be a much better world. I tell DD that I don't care if she is the best student, the fastest runner, the most popular...those things aren't as important as kindness.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bobbie - as always, thank you for your thoughtful post. I'm feeling better today, and very thankful I have kept my resolve over the last several days, no matter how hard it has been. DD and I slept in again today (loving the start to summer break!), and I'm about to tackle some errands and do some job searching this afternoon.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Sam, the ER is a place where they stabilize you and send you home or admit you into the hospital. That's not the right place to get diagnosed as an alcoholic, but is a great place to quickly get you medical care for your heart and breathing and such.

That doctor who said you aren't an alcoholic was obviously not only an idiot, but extremely uneducated about alcoholism. Unfortunately, that's not usual. As one of them told me...."you know, half of the medical school enrollment is in the bottom 50% of the class in terms of quality." Ha!

I'm an alcoholic, and that's a conclusion I had to come to myself anyway. Even if a doctor told me I was, I wouldn't have believed it. So....blow off the ER doctor in terms of alcoholism. Not the right venue for that diagnosis.

Are you by any chance in an HMO for your medical coverage? Those plans tend to kick people out of the ER and downplay conditions that cost any money.

How are you doing now?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Kiki,
My heart breaks for you and your son. Ouch.

My daughter went through a similar experience in the 5th grade and I remember how truly awful it was for her (and me). It was a problem I had difficulty fixing.

We ended up changing schools and that was the right move. She's blossomed now - almost more than she should. Now she has too much of a social life, but that's another story.

In the new school, we hooked her up with the right teachers and network....talked to the Principal and got many adults on board with getting her connected in the 6th grade. Left all that old baggage behind.

Kids really are mean. I'm so sorry to hear your son is being treated so poorly. Have you talked to the school? When I mentioned "bullying" and "legal action" in the same sentence....I did get some attention.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Sorry for the multiple posts - I'm at work and have just bits of time.

Did you guys see this on the 24 hour thread? Thank you for letting me be here. I am thankful for you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sober-ecard.jpg (24.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well I am still shaky but feeling some improvement I think a lot of my symptoms now feel worse than what they actually are - I am my own worst enemy....

Kiki - sending prayers and hugs for your little one - young people can often be so cruel

Lillian - I live in Canada where heath care is free for everyone...lol

Bobbie - your post was so sweet!

MITA - I did fill my husband in and now it's this huge thing in the house right now.

Well I still haven't eaten so I am going to attempt that - but I will be around here all night....thanks again for all your help today - I wouldn't have made it without you.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Lillian - Sam is in Canada.

Never mind - she told you herself.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Lillian - Sam is in Canada.
Ah, that's right. Silly me I forgot. Thank you.

National healthcare.

Free eh? Have you seen your taxes lately? I hope you can see a better health care provider very soon.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

And by free I mean we pay for it in other ways......also next year university will be free here too
Old 06-01-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
And by free I mean we pay for it in other ways......also next year university will be free here too
As the mother of 2 that will be in University - I am really jealous.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
I want to live in Canada! Well, except for the places that are cold...haha!

Seriously, I admire your country very much. College and health care are too expensive here.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Getting ready to leave work and hit up another meeting. I think I am playing softball tonight - so I may not be back for a while. Everyone have a good evening.

Sam - take care of yourself. You did the right thing today.

Love you guys!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well, heck, it's starting to pour. No ball for me tonight. BTW, I start playing soccer with my kids and a lot of kids I coached over the years. I'll be playing on Monday nights, so if you don't hear from me on Tuesday morning - it will be because I'm in the hospital. Don't know why I thought this would be a good idea.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just finally ate some food and had some water....feeling a little more human. I am going to take Charlie for a walk - she hasn't been on one in a while.....I am a bad pet mommy when I drink

Hope everyone's doing okay tonight
Old 06-01-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey Bobbie thank you for the kind words earlier and also last nite, I forgot to say that. You're cool.

You all are. Actually the amount of kindness and compassion (and intelligence) on this board is pretty astounding.

Same goes for the rooms. Alcoholics huh? Who'd have thunk it! Early night for me. Sam I am sorry to hear you are struggling.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Very very busy week at work so have missed checking in a few days. Day 39 or thereabouts. Looks like I'm in for another marathon session this weekend catching up on the posts I have missed. Have a great day/evening everyone. xxx
Old 06-01-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hope everyone is doing OK. Sorry I'm being a bit quiet. Work was quick and mostly painless. Took a long nap. Being lazy around the house. I might go to a meeting this evening. I might not. Wishing everyone a safe and sober evening/Australian morning.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Bobbie that was a lovely post thank you for that it was the first thing I read this morning as I woke up, what a nice way to start the day

Kiki I'm sorry about what your son is going through its horrible, I kids can be so mean. You're both in my thoughts

Sam good on you for going to the ER though I'm sorry you felt dismissed. I've gone to hospital countless times when I was at my worst, and honestly I think the reaction you get depends on the particular Drs on that day. Sorry you got some dismissive ones, but at least you know you're physics ok and can just work on getting food rest and water. Thinking of you today