Notices

One Year & Over Part 39

Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Toots, yes - a good way to describe it - in spite of rapidly aging, I do feel so much more in charge of my world :-)
Old 06-02-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

good wishes on the book toots!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Carlos, I see your Pens are up 2-0! Possibly a sweep?

GHD, glad to hear you're starting to feel better.

Zip, have fun at the gig.

Toots, congrats on the book progress. I'm starting my next project today. Last update to this particular book was in 2010, so I've got some major work ahead.

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Toots x
Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Toots, that's Great news on your book! Congrats!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats Toots!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes! Congrats on the book Toots!!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight all
Old 06-02-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Today I realized that after I broke up with my band when I got sober (the only way for me), I hadn't listened to a single track off any of our recordings since.

That was till today when an instrumental cover version of one of my songs that somebody's bringing out was sent for my approval. It's a good version but the chords and melodies brought with them a massive onslaught of memories from what felt almost like a bygone era. It was a little eerie and I started freaking myself out. I had to switch it off and play something else.

There is now a before and after in my life and the after is clearly nervous about being around the before!!

I wonder if anyone else has ever had an experience like that?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

@Toots - congrats on finishing the first draft of your book!

@amp123 - I always struggle with memories brought back by cleaning out closets and stuff like that. Probably not as bad as for you. Music really does take a person back, and depending on the song, can elicit other emotions. If I want to make my husband cry, I just call up Memories from the musical Cats on Youtube.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey all thanks! Remember that our worst days sober just go to prove that life doesn't get better, we do. (Which means when we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. Dyer) Y'all know what the problem with family is right? Family!

Those issues however only point to our need to get out of here ASAP! I just hate to sell off everything that we need to sell off even if we stayed. Moving can be a big motivator. We can't help the 43 year old man that used to be our son or his family, and we can't help the sick culture of the deep South (NO offense meant for non hater Southerners, they know what I mean) We know there are wingnuts everywhere, and those in need of a scapegoat. And we aren't perfect either. But the ratio here is crazy!

Hey IP! Got any room up there in Canada??

RZ,
I doubt it, he's 43. But I appreciate the thought.

Mags,
I do hope they get your issues resolved. You deserve a big break dear.

Toots! WooHoo! Congratulations on getting your book done!

Amp,
I flash sometimes but just grin and drop it. It is a memory that is no longer associated with drinking. It is like my typing here that I used to drink a lot of beer and wine. The thought doesn't lead to drinking because I don't drink. So I don't focus on alcohol at all. I don't covet my neighbor's drunk. You'll lose the focus on what others are drinking like you don't focus on what shoes others wear or what cars people drive. But yes we all do and did, just like your memories of playing gigs and getting more than a buzz.

GHD,
Get fully restored soon!
Amp she is right. Sober or drinking I can get very emotional when I decide to take out my recordings of my music, and the music of others. I can tell you that the creative urge still is as strong as ever when it hits. I used to have a beer on a coaster and a cigarette hanging out of my mouth non stop while writing and while singing, the cigarette was under the strings above the top bone burning. I can't play anymore because of the middle finger of my left hand is not letting me fret any more. But the urge to smoke is so totally gone, along with the urge to drink.

FBL,
Yeah I am not much for emotional blackmail, codie manipulations, or drama of any kind. We have a great relationship with our remaining parent on her side, although he is slipping away, and our other son and his wife, and all my parent's side of my family. We will soon have nothing keeping us here. Then we will decide to stay or go to the Denver area. All our years of travel and my family have never had the level of crap drama that my BIL's family and my son have brought to us. They are like strangers.

BTW yes we have a new house and yes we will stay here long enough to finish the landscaping and dirtwork. This is no different than when we were military and bought houses for a three to five year assignment and we always fixed them up to very stylish and made money selling them. We have no attachments to things or houses. In fact, they are rather confining to us. They keep us too stationary. And the best time to sell is at the peak not the wane.

I am great guys so don't worry about the family crap. But since we always seem to be as some friends confided in us, the perfect couple, and were surprised when they found us very approachable and accepting, we have had a bump in our serenity. Now over ourselves again.

Good or bad this roller coaster called life keeps it interesting even when we think it has gotten dull. Friends who have been there are good to have guys. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

amp, I get you with the before and after. Music takes us straight back with our memories and is very powerful.

itchy, so true, life doesn't get better but we do and how we deal with it.

Wolfie, I hope your migraines have stopped for now.

Hope it's a good weekend for everyone.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning Mags. ♥
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning

Thanks Mags I got through a whole day with no migraine so very happy with that x
Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That's good to hear wolfie love.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Amp I get what you mean and agree on how music can bring back memories with a powerful surge, and that's just other people's music. When it's your own it must be even more invocative. I do hope you will keep trying to listen though. You mademusic. That is an amazing gift, an art that you shared. The person who did that in the before may have been battling his demons, but he is most definitely a big part of who you are today. I feel sad if you deny him completely.
I feel that your nervousness of the past is in part to do with the current issues you are dealing with regarding sociability. Once you feel more comfortable over time in your new skin, I believe you will be able to spend time with the beforeamp. How is the 'date night' thing going? X

Itchy we made a fair amount buying places and doing them up before moving. Not 'flipping' as such, we never bought anticipating a move, it just worked out that way for a while. I think you are right to chose to live elsewhere if you cannot relate to those around you. We're getting too old for that sh1t!! Lol

Mags how're you feeling?
Wolfie your head all better now?

FBL I couldn't do your job, I am too chaotic, I miss noticing the little things - you are all about making sure the little things are correct!

IP good to hear you are working, I hope we get an update soon.

Thanks for all the congrats, just waiting on feedback from my number one critic - my mum!- then full steam ahead for publishing. This is still very much a hobby for me, each book costs more to prices than I make in sales, but it's not about that. If I had the time and energy I would manage my promotion better but, real life has the annoyance of getting in the way!

Hugs all, a busy weekend of gardening ahead, not that it will look much different by the end!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Amp I get what you mean and agree on how music can bring back memories with a powerful surge, and that's just other people's music. When it's your own it must be even more invocative. I do hope you will keep trying to listen though. You mademusic. That is an amazing gift, an art that you shared. The person who did that in the before may have been battling his demons, but he is most definitely a big part of who you are today. I feel sad if you deny him completely.
I feel that your nervousness of the past is in part to do with the current issues you are dealing with regarding sociability. Once you feel more comfortable over time in your new skin, I believe you will be able to spend time with the beforeamp. How is the 'date night' thing going? X!
Hey! You're quite right Toots. I think there's a big identity thing going on because I used to have a pretty big identity. Locally I had a public profile and a lot of people knew who I was. I was a little larger than life. I think if I'd always been quiet and unassuming it would be easier to adapt.

Date night was cancelled by my wife as the kids are desperate to go to a fair that was set up across the street. I will insist on another day :-/
Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hey, V! Great to "see" you here this morning

Itch, bet Colorado sounds pretty good to you now. Hang in there, bud.

Wolfy, hope you're feeling better now.

Toots, you rock!

Zip, you rock too...literally tonight!

We start our summer hours this week (that means off at noon on Fridays)! The boss sent me a huge list of songs he wants me to find for him, so I better get crackin'...man, I LOVE my work!

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi V hope you're well.

I'm getting there toots, thanks! I keep taking the tablets, lol.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

drat!

i just found out the gig is an 1-1/4 hour drive!

well they did ask if i was willing to go to any lengths!