Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Ben she hasn't woken up yet. People don't see what booze is doing to their lives. Especially when they're younger. I'd have never listened.
I've got a front row seat to the end now though watching my brother die with pill bottles all around him.
I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.
Day 3.

It's been a ongoing thing, him going down. Long drawn out bad way to go. Could've stopped anytime, even now maybe. All doctors and ppl have given up.
He's still lying begging for attention. I fell for it again, and paying for it today with tiredness. Ah, at least I got to see him. House full of every whimsical thing you can surround yourself with while driving everyone away your whole life.
Whew.
It's sounds bad of me but it was a relief to get away from there.

TIAGF --- another wake up call !
wow sorry to hear that ! Hearing things like that makes me realise my problems are small beans in comparison. He is me moaning about people wanting me to drink at a birthday party. Thanks for the reality check jl 2014 sometimes I need it. Small problems can seem big when there are no big problems around.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great sober day guys

D
Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Been thinking about something recently. You know when people are saying you need to want to be sober more than you want to drink? Well......I want to want to be sober more than I want to drink. Does that make sense? I mean that's how I want to feel but I'm not sure if I do......yet. It worries me that I've not had a moment of clarity where I have consciously made that decision. Do I need to feel that way yet? Is it enough to stay sober 1 day at a time and feel the benefits first? Is this my sneaky AV telling me I don't want to stop?
I know if I don't nip this in the bud the progressiveness will make it worse and worse. I know I've everything to lose. I know I have to get sober...... but want to?.....that's tricky.....
For many it's not a wake up call that makes them want to be sober in the morning. It's often a process that starts with thinking about being sober and through that the want becomes more and more. I think educating and discovering yourself makes that want become greater. Staying on this website, going to meetings, seeing a therapist, etc. will all make that want stronger.

Personally I've been thinking about getting sober for 3 years, and finally during this short stretch I really feel the want to get sober, much like the want I felt to quit smoking when I finally did. I think if I would have put more effort into past sobriety attempts I could have felt that "want to quit" mentality earlier.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Ben,
Nah man, I didn't mean to gripe. That stuffs hard on you, too.
You're really doing a darn good job sticking to what matters most for your best.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Haven't been here because life just got super busy, work, end of school stuff for the kid, just non stop. Which has kept me from drinking though. Last night, still didn't drink, but I lost my stuff, I've been holding in all the emotion and horrible feelings, shielding my family from my problems and passing not drinking off as another weightloss thing. I just irrationally got angry and it spewed all over my son and my husband. I apologized to my 7 year old, lots of hugs and tears and he was fine this morning, and I reassured him I was fine too. My hubs loves conflict though, I think he thrives on it and it's been so long since we've fought about anything that he's keeping the excitement going, so I didn't get the chance to apologize to him since I was so amped up and just wanted to go to bed. I just need strength today, especially since I have to ask him to get the kids so I can go to the gym. I'm breathing deep and moving in a forward motion. Let's make it through day 13. Thank you in advance for listening. Hugs and positivity to all who need it, and joy to all who have made it farther than before. This lady has to get back to work! 😥
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Day 4 here. I feel blessed - no visits yesterday from the AV. And tonight I am going to a lecture so there is a good incentive to stay strong.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Lyddie congrats on day 4 !

Chicken lady I'm resonating with those feelings. I've had them recently. You're doing good staying sober.

I'm a zombie today, but a sober zombie !!!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Thanks SickOfit and Simplicity. It's helpful to know my feelings/thoughts are normal. I did 8 months a few years ago and recall it being a wonderful period in my life. I'm clinging to the memories of how I felt and it was good.
Ben I too sometimes feel like a moaning minny when I read other people's plights. Thing is we are all here for the same thing and even the mundane stuff is still important. I've got a close colleague's leaving do a week on Friday and although I've already said I'll drive it's praying on my mind. Decided that unless it affects today I'm not thinking about it (my ultra short term strategy).
Just finished work here. Child free night but so far I'm not worried.
Big love to you all 😊
Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Talking Back Again

Hi, not sure were to post, this is my third time to try and get sober day 1 yesterday. This disease had taken everything from me in the last year. Marriage, children and my home. Ended up being a daily drinker for past year and I am now full time carer for my mother because i had no were to live. I am sick of being sick. went into rehab two years ago and went well for a few months but slipped here and there until i ended up at it daily. The anguish, pain self loathing, guilt, fear and hurt this disease causes is insurmountable for not only the alcoholic but all the family too. I am attending AA meetings now and have found myself a sponsor. But the pain I feel is beyond words now. just feel such a failure and not worth anything. my name is Caroline x Thanks for listening.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amitranjan04 View Post
Day two for me .
woo hoo! Jazz handz
Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Welcome Caroline. You are not alone here. Post as often as you like there are some brilliant people. I'm only on day 3 (again!) so you're not alone being newly sober. Take care 😊
Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Well if I drink I get told I drink to much and now I don't drink I'm getting told that I have to drink on my birthday and that I'm a boring old fart. Not sure she knows what she wants anymore. To be fair to her this new me is a bit different to the old me. I'm not sure how this story ends but I guess we will find out. No offence to any women but you a strange creatures.
lol. We feel the same about u guys

Tee hee
Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostManhattan View Post
Happy Wednesday Mayists! Day 18. Had a two week temp job that kept me really busy so I haven't posted. Doing well until last night when I got blindsided by the I Can Never Drink Again Blues. Made me really grumpy. I replayed some scenarios of myself as drunky drunk girl and got over it. Ugh. May we all be happy today
Been there - good for u!!! Wishing u happiness as well
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplepeopleeat View Post
Day 20 here. Good morning. Feeling better today. Have a good sober day all
That's awesome! Congrats!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eagle108 View Post
Good morning all. Blessed to have another day SOBER...Day 18 starting off well so far so hopefully can keep that going. Hope everyone has a great day!!
happy dance! 18 days is fabulous!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Black View Post
Hi, not sure were to post, this is my third time to try and get sober day 1 yesterday. This disease had taken everything from me in the last year. Marriage, children and my home. Ended up being a daily drinker for past year and I am now full time carer for my mother because i had no were to live. I am sick of being sick. went into rehab two years ago and went well for a few months but slipped here and there until i ended up at it daily. The anguish, pain self loathing, guilt, fear and hurt this disease causes is insurmountable for not only the alcoholic but all the family too. I am attending AA meetings now and have found myself a sponsor. But the pain I feel is beyond words now. just feel such a failure and not worth anything. my name is Caroline x Thanks for listening.
Glad you're here, black. Sending happy thoughts and hugs
Old 05-18-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Morning all - looking forward to another day sober.

Wishing all peace and strength for another day dry
Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 7 and feeling strong today. ( for now.....) Went to the gas station I frequent a lot to get cigarettes just now ( I know, bad habit, BUT this week I gave up drinking and started a low carb diet, and am not ready to give up my Parliaments just yet ) The cashier ringing me up, said "what? No beer this morning? YIKES!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your brother JL. I couldn't imagine my sibling doing the same. Hopefully something will speak to him. Congrats to everyone racking up days and have a lovely sober Hump day! Day 6.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Morning all. About to begin day 3. It's my child free night tonight (at their dads) but I'm pretty confident I'll not drink. I've got a few of those under my belt now.
Hope everyone is doing well. Some amazing people out there.
Been thinking about something recently. You know when people are saying you need to want to be sober more than you want to drink? Well......I want to want to be sober more than I want to drink. Does that make sense? I mean that's how I want to feel but I'm not sure if I do......yet. It worries me that I've not had a moment of clarity where I have consciously made that decision. Do I need to feel that way yet? Is it enough to stay sober 1 day at a time and feel the benefits first? Is this my sneaky AV telling me I don't want to stop?
I know if I don't nip this in the bud the progressiveness will make it worse and worse. I know I've everything to lose. I know I have to get sober...... but want to?.....that's tricky.....
I've been having all the same feelings lately. I know I need to want to be sober, and like you I want to want to be sober, it's hard to see it as forever right now. So I've been letting myself make the choice everyday. I've been journaling a lot on the subject, writing down all the good and the bad and remindingmyself why I started in the first place. Keep coming and keep talking it's totally worth it. I'm only on day 13 and I feel like my brain is doing some great healing despite my blow up last night. My other vital organs are probably thanking me as well. You've got this.