Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 6

Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - just a quick check in from me. Enjoying the photos. I don't have much to contribute on the shoe front - I wear heels to work most days of the week, sensible mid height pumps in sensible colours. Nothing to set the world on fire.

I'm not sentimental about giving up dragon boating - I only started because the office got a team together otherwise would not have considered it. Running is my thing - a nice solitary pursuit which doesn't involve other people. But I'm grateful it's given me a taste of water sports as I'm keener than ever to learn to swim properly. I have a triathlon in my sights as the next goal. They are huge in Oz.

I think taking up new hobbies are a great idea - they're the secret to staying young. I encourage you to take up photography Steely. Your mind is full of angles - you'd probably be really good at it!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hi all
Long ago I swam competitively MissP
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Thanks MissP

Triathlons sounds great. Very demanding, but I think you like the challenge. You are so very committed to your exercise and diet, it's great.

I checked out photography courses but they are so incredibly expensive, but this shouldn't prohibit me from just grabbing a camera and learning on the job.

I thought it would cover two angles. I could take myself to say Kurraba Point and experiment. Beautiful day out, and maybe a good shot. The ferry trip alone would be good.

Read a post from a man who is now 5 years sober and could remember when he had only 6 months up. Just like us.

He talked about things being much better at 6 months, but still something missing. He began to eat well and exercise, and said that things really turned around for him dramatically. I need to take a leaf from his book.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

That photo trip sounds wonderful Steely.

zjw is great. I really cannot fathom making all the changes he did... but also need to take a leaf, especially in the diet area. It is so darn hard though. Food is my last anxiety appeaser.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Any swimming tips for a rookie, sleepie? I'm trying to get good enough to swim 400 m in open water for my first sprint triathlon in March next year. That's plenty of time if I'm committed but am not even at the point of doing freestyle laps in a pool. Treading water and the ugliest mongrel of a doggie paddle is where I'm currently at!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Build your strength.

Are you only learning how to swim?

A common mistake people seem to make, when you do get to freestyle- is to breathe at each stroke. It will wear you out and tire you faster. I would breathe every 4th stroke. But I am no expert.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

I was always a natural swimmer, don't know why or how but I took to it like a fish as a kid, just loved to swim.

So unfortunately much like drawing... I don't know the break down of it or how to explain much of it. I am more intuitive not so much analytical.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

G'night all...

I have to try and get back on the "sleep at night" schedule... forcing myself up in 5 hours so that I will be tired enough to sleep earlier tomorrow.

Hope it works.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I think having swimming lessons would be the best way to go MissP. Your trainer will get your stroke and breathing right, which is so important for your future success.

It's really easy to get into sloppy habits If you don't get it right at the beginning and this will slow and tire you, and that's the last thing you need in a triathlon.

I really recommend taking lessons. Treading water and dog paddle is how everyone starts. Stroke and breathing are vital, and rarely self taught. Get it right to begin, you won't regret it.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

I meant to say correct stroke and breathing MissP. you will save yourself laps and laps.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Thanks! I will definitely be getting lessons and have scoped out a few places.

Had a late one working last night - reflected again how good it was to have the option to go for a run, have dinner and then sit down in the sofa and nut out what I had to do instead of slogging though it in the office just so I could reward myself with wine as soon as possible after.

All else is well. I think I broke Facebook by casually saying was returning to Melbourne - forgot I hadn't really announced it yet. But it's out there now which is one less thing to worry about.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hope everyone's well. It's DRAGON BOAT DAY! My first one sober and not waking up half cut!

Have a great one!

Wish me luck
Old 06-10-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Does this mean you are going into a Race MissP? Wishing you luck, you will be able to retire from the game with grace, win or lose. I'll put my money on you.

I was going to ask if you float on your back and remain buoyant when in the pool? Relax and give up to the water, it's beautiful.

I was going to go to Kurraba Point and look around, take some picturebut I am so tired, and have let this flat turn to a tip. I'll take a photo of my coffee table and you'll see what I mean.

Think I will have to organise this tip, and Kurraba next week. I really hate it when things are in chaos. Some excuse in that I have not been off public transport, brothers, mothers, crapolla, that have found it hard to lift a finger. Whole days dedicated.

It's drawing pretty close to a close in terms of having my brother housed appropriately, so things are bound to improve.

Have noticed that the stress associated with all this brother/mother stuff has had me have thoughts of just having "the one". If its having that impact, I'm out of a lot of it. Assist where I can.

Am eating a huge left over Easter egg and it's yummy, must have something to do with sugar as I'm not a big chocolate eater. Avocado on toast for dinner. For me, that's OK. It will improve.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Meant to say that there is no chance that I will drink. It's just that alcohol has been on my mind. Unusually. And that's not healthy. No chance in Hades. Cause if I do, I'm in Hades.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hope things do get sorted with your brother Steely. That will give you a breather. I think I understand what you're saying about thinking about alcohol. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of time that has passed. The bad memories associated with it are fading, and with it the sense of dread that comes with the thought of drinking. I realise that the thing standing between me and a drink now is rational thinking, whereas before there was an emotional element.

The last two days we've had two dragon boat races - the main race that we trained for yesterday which was the corporate event that went really well for us (much better than expected for our team), and the second race on the harbour today which was tough, proper, international competition (we lost miserably).

After a day of paddling yesterday, and a lot of standing around in the heat waiting for our turn, then finally getting some R&R back on the hired yacht, there was definitely the temptation to fall in with everyone and crack a beer. But my rational brain was what stopped me. I am coming up on 6 months' sober. My whole world is out of sight better than it was. I can't throw it away now. But the thought of booze is there and it has to be simply put out of my mind. I don't even dwell on it for more than a few seconds as there is nothing to be gained from it.

So I get it Steely. But we must help each other out - all of us - and remind ourselves what horrors lie that way and how hard-earned our sobriety is.

As for the swimming ... thank you to you and sleepie for the tips and for caring enough to help I am not comfortable in the water, so am not someone who would get into a pool and float for fun. I had a swim coach for about 5 lessons last year, before our summer schedules clashed and I never got it back on track. Her thing was trying to get me comfortable in the water. I'm still not 100% at ease, but it's getting better. I'll get there.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I just send you a long post MissP and I lost it. Final statement was that you will be a Water Baby before you know it, and that I bought a really great pair of Ray Ban Wayfarer's at the op shop yesterday. I've lost about 3 pair in the past.

Agree with what you have to say about rational vs emotional. Sobriety gives us rationality. What a bonus.

Am listening to some jazz on SBS and getting a few things done around the flat. My little garden is looking good.

Well done on following through on the Dragon Boats.

Hope everyone is well, and has a good weekend. Saturday in Sydney.

Last edited by Steely; 06-10-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Addend
Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Hi all

Late here just not too good at sleeping in the heat

Hope you are all well
Old 06-11-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hi sleepie, nothing worse than trying to sleep in the heat. Hope you get some in.

I made Lentil and Spinach soup and it was yummy. Chill in front of TV curled up and cozy. Getting colder here.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

It's warm here too, but this entire city is air-conditioned. It sucks for the environment I'm sure. I'm on the sofa. Enjoying a quiet Saturday evening. Lovely weekend to myself. The usual things I relish.

Hope you get some sleep, sleepie. The soup sounds delish, Steely!
Old 06-12-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

MissP and sleepie are we the only people left in December Class?

Hope you are both well, and we've nearly made 6 months. As if you didn't know.