Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 05-02-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Just worked out ill be consuming about 1500 calories less a day Based on a pint on the way home from work and 6 pints when I get home. On a week day on a weekend that could could be a lot more. So I guess ill lose some Weight. Not that I'm over weight. I'm 6'3 And 15 stone. (210lb) have you guys lost weight when you stop drinking ?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I always lose fat when I stop. The clothes keep getting looser. It's a great bonus but might take a few weeks for your liver to start working as it should though.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
nmd

I have a tendancy of eating to compensate for the lost booze calories, at least early on. My drinking cravings hit in the 5-8pm hours, so I eat something right after work before dinner. I want to lose 20+lbs, but I'm doing it with exercise and avoiding junk food at the moment. (I'm only 5'9" and 200lbs)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Good morning class! Today is going to be GREAT! Feel it. Own your day.

Bug
Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
nmd

Hey Ben- my fiance is a drinker as well, though I haven't faced some of the same relationship troubles. She drinks enough that I worry for her health, but she's pretty steady about things. No cheating or craziness- I went through that with my first wife.

In my first stretch of sobriety while my girlfriend and I have been together, it was a bit rough. She wanted me to be able to have a drink with her, she didn't want me to "expect her to stop drinking", etc. It took a while, but she understands now and is supportive. It will change your relationship, hopefully for the better. It takes patience and a lot of courage to open up. Just admitting to having a problem drinking for me and trying to quit can be tough.

Some of the best advice I've received on here is that staying sober is an inside job. Ultimately, we have to want it and do all the work ourselves. No amount of support or lack of it can make you or I stay sober. Not that support doesn't help, but I learned to not use other people as excuses. Even if your relationship doesn't work out, and maybe you don't want it too, staying sober is number one.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Hey Ben- my fiance is a drinker as well, though I haven't faced some of the same relationship troubles. She drinks enough that I worry for her health, but she's pretty steady about things. No cheating or craziness- I went through that with my first wife.

In my first stretch of sobriety while my girlfriend and I have been together, it was a bit rough. She wanted me to be able to have a drink with her, she didn't want me to "expect her to stop drinking", etc. It took a while, but she understands now and is supportive. It will change your relationship, hopefully for the better. It takes patience and a lot of courage to open up. Just admitting to having a problem drinking for me and trying to quit can be tough.

Some of the best advice I've received on here is that staying sober is an inside job. Ultimately, we have to want it and do all the work ourselves. No amount of support or lack of it can make you or I stay sober. Not that support doesn't help, but I learned to not use other people as excuses. Even if your relationship doesn't work out, and maybe you don't want it too, staying sober is number one.
Im lucky. My husband drinks a few beers a night. He can control it. He is respectful of my sobriety efforts. He drinks on the patio, locks up the beer, and doesn't flaunt it. We may not be getting along right now but he is still looking out for me.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Just worked out ill be consuming about 1500 calories less a day Based on a pint on the way home from work and 6 pints when I get home. On a week day on a weekend that could could be a lot more. So I guess ill lose some Weight. Not that I'm over weight. I'm 6'3 And 15 stone. (210lb) have you guys lost weight when you stop drinking ?
I sure have... about 20 lbs in 2 months without booze in me. Lost a lot of spiritual weight as well. It's worth it and so are you!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me again. I stayed sober for nearly 4 weeks and went on a 3 day bender over the weekend. It reminded me of all the things why I want to stop drinking.

Disapointed with myself but not discouraged.

“It's not how many times you get knocked down that count, it's how many times you get back up. ”
Old 05-02-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning May class. Starting day 4 today. Welcome to everybody here. We can do this. Let's lean on each other get our lives back in order. By the end of the month we will be feeling and looking like humans again. I'm off to the gym this morning. Working out helps me feel so much better, physically and mentally. Let's do this together. Have a great day.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange18 View Post
Good morning May class. Starting day 4 today. Welcome to everybody here. We can do this. Let's lean on each other get our lives back in order. By the end of the month we will be feeling and looking like humans again. I'm off to the gym this morning. Working out helps me feel so much better, physically and mentally. Let's do this together. Have a great day.
I am on day 6 and already feel so much better. I don't want to lose this. Humanity suits me.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Ready for a sober day?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Another day. I saw the bottom of a pint of Ben and Jerry's last night.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Here's a really cheesy joke I heard yesterday to start your morning off.....

There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.

Love Chuck. Could probably kill me with a leaf and a raindrop, but ya gotta love him, lol.
Starting day 6 for me.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarangel View Post
Morning everyone. Ready for a sober day?
Drinking coke zero the mrs came back last night and was very suspicious of the bottle of lemonade in the fridge she thought I had someone over ha ha she has never seen me with a bottle of lemonade.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone and happy May 2!

It is a rainy but not cold day here. I'm at work after a couple days off last week while withdrawing at home. Feeling so much better than I did the middle of last week.

It is interesting. I joined here a couple years ago. Then, it was relatively easy to get days under my belt. I would get a week or two and flub up, largely because I would come home and begin to mindlessly drink despite planning otherwise. Back then, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to go through physical withdrawal from alcohol, or to miss a couple days of work a week from drinking related problems and chronic anxiety attacks. And, back then I knew I had a serious problem.

It just goes to show how insidious, chronic, and progressive this is. I'm at the point now where people wonder why I'm "always sick." Even my grown kids. I've developed severe gastritis, where I was vomiting daily, and still drank. I truly believed I would die, and still drank. However, the thought that I would live, lose my job, and disappoint my family, become a burden instead of a mentor... something finally clicked. I was absolutely terrified to continue drinking. I still am.

So, this is where I am now. I have nightmares about picking up a glass of alcohol. I will do whatever it takes for this not to happen.

I wish I had taken it this seriously a couple years ago, but we can't re-live the past, only take charge of the present.

In the present, I am ... hopeful.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobertaurus View Post
Good morning everyone and happy May 2!

It is a rainy but not cold day here. I'm at work after a couple days off last week while withdrawing at home. Feeling so much better than I did the middle of last week.

It is interesting. I joined here a couple years ago. Then, it was relatively easy to get days under my belt. I would get a week or two and flub up, largely because I would come home and begin to mindlessly drink despite planning otherwise. Back then, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to go through physical withdrawal from alcohol, or to miss a couple days of work a week from drinking related problems and chronic anxiety attacks. And, back then I knew I had a serious problem.

It just goes to show how insidious, chronic, and progressive this is. I'm at the point now where people wonder why I'm "always sick." Even my grown kids. I've developed severe gastritis, where I was vomiting daily, and still drank. I truly believed I would die, and still drank. However, the thought that I would live, lose my job, and disappoint my family, become a burden instead of a mentor... something finally clicked. I was absolutely terrified to continue drinking. I still am.

So, this is where I am now. I have nightmares about picking up a glass of alcohol. I will do whatever it takes for this not to happen.

I wish I had taken it this seriously a couple years ago, but we can't re-live the past, only take charge of the present.

In the present, I am ... hopeful.
I'm with you buddy ! Weather is picking up here this week I will miss beers by the river but getting used to soft drinks now as long as I have a glass of fluid I find it helps.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone and welcome to the class strangeangel, HopePeace, nmd, Midton, OnlyTheLonely, Timeforchange and anyone else I missed. Nice to see so many people joining the group. It is a great day to be sober, and I also kinda like that my sobriety date is May 1. It seems like a good one so I ought to make it a keeper.

Checking in on the morning of day 2. I definitely feel better this morning, and more motivated to do more than eat pizza and lie around sweating all day with my heart beating out of my chest (yesterday kinda sucked).

I think I'm going to work from home today instead of going in. It'll kinda suck after being out Thursday and Friday but I hadn't missed work for awhile due to using so I think it'll be ok.

ben83 - I've lost weight in the past, but sometimes it takes awhile to get to the point where it happens. I tend to eat more in early sobriety so that can cause a little weight gain right at first before reaching a healthy point and starting to lose weight. Getting into a good exercise habit helps a lot there too. In early sobriety though I think doign just about whatever you have to do to not drink/use is the most important thing, so for me to indulge in pint of ice cream or bag of chips now and then is worth the trade off considering the alternative. But I think weight issues in early sobriety are different for everyone so ymmv.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day 2, feeling meh. Might try and do some work. I have been off a week or so.
I look like a caveman, better shave and such first.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Realized about half hour ago that I have 2 important meetings scheduled at work today including one with my boss's boss and boss's boss's boss, so I'm heading into the office afterall. This could be a rough day, we'll see. Take care everyone!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
Realized about half hour ago that I have 2 important meetings scheduled at work today including one with my boss's boss and boss's boss's boss, so I'm heading into the office afterall. This could be a rough day, we'll see. Take care everyone!
You will be fine take a bottle of water in with you