Notices

(N ot So) CNew Franks Thread Part 7

Old 11-03-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yes, that's right, Dee. It was utterly destroyed so rebuilt in that period. Mr TS and I went down for one of their annual art deco weekends. Everyone gets dressed up in outfits of that period and their are vintage cars all over the place in mint condition. Planes too - they go all out. It was great fun.

I think you may be right about that Sao, - Art Nouveaux....
Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Yes, that's right, Dee. It was utterly destroyed so rebuilt in that period. Mr TS and I went down for one of their annual art deco weekends. Everyone gets dressed up in outfits of that period and their are vintage cars all over the place in mint condition. Planes too - they go all out. It was great fun.

I think you may be right about that Sao, - Art Nouveaux....
Looked it up online. What an interesting, pretty place.

I don't know if any of you watched "Mad Men" but it hit me that Shabby's pics look a bit like some of the interior scenes toward the end of the series.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an expert but I think the figure is probably more Art Nouveau - it has that Upstairs Downstairs Late Victorian/ Edwardian feel to it

D
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Yes, you are both right I think it is. That was a cool era too. Fashion has kind of gone to the dogs in many respects. Definitely cheaper materials these days.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I just Googled Napier too, really interesting - even the prison was architecturally impressive

I'm in the office about to commencement another workday
Old 11-04-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Is work a bit stressful at the moment, Sao?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yeah it is TooShabby, just tedious and dragging, it's not usually like this - look forward to better.

I dunno where commenceMENT came from, preemptive text?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Plus it has gone 6pm and I am still at work
Old 11-04-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I wondered about 'commencement'. I thought maybe there was some dry, Sao joke I was missing :-)

I get the tedious and dragging job patches thing. Hate that. I'm glad that's unusual for your job.

A friend of mine lent me Mad Men, Ven, but we didn't get around to watching it. We saw a little though - it did look very cool stylistically. I hear it's a great series too.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yes it is good Tooshabby. It doesn't just look good either, there is a lot of social observation going on and the acting is superb.

I always think my Lancia was built for the European version of Don Draper
Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

What does he drive in the series - do you know?

Were you guys Breaking Bad fans?

It's really nice having you back, Dee :-) Are you okay now?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'm fine TS - a few residual aches and pains but nothing that stops me doing anything now

D
Old 11-05-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Shabby, I thought "Breaking Bad" was the modern-day equivalent of a Dickens novel.

As I recall, Don Draper drives a big boat of a Cadillac, at least in the latter parts of the series. He started out driving a family car. One of many metaphors.

And, yes, wonderful to see Dee back!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I thought that last episode had the tragic feel of MacBeth finally coming a cropper after all of his shenanigans. They didn't disappoint. Mr TS and I had the whole series and we ended up watching the last one at 5.00 am in the morning after being up the entire night binge-watching :-)

We must watch Mad Men. Going to do it!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Shabs, I think "Mad Men" is a worthy watch, for sure.

One caveat: The amount of drinking depicted in that show is astronomical. Plenty of drunkenness, which reminds us of what we want to put behind us, but plenty of just plain ol' consumption. I don't know what your experience has been with that, but I wanted to make sure you're aware. I know that there's drinking in a lot of television/movies, but "Mad Men" is pretty much in a league of its own.

When I was starting out in recovery, entertainment with a lot of drinking was basically impossible for me to watch (although I spent a ridiculous amount of time watching TV in those early days). Some shows -- and "Sex and the City" reruns comes to mind, even tho I loved that show -- were just too much for me to bear.

Again, your experience and mine may not be the same but I wanted to make you aware of the storylines and visuals.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

No, thanks, Venecia, it's worthwhile you mention that because it does trigger me watching people drink on t.v. and in movies - more than anything. I think I might wait a while until we watch it.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never notice people drinking in shows anymore. I'm enjoying the second season of Fargo right now...and I enjoyed the first season of True Detective, tho that was a bit 'drinky'

D
Old 11-05-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

It's good to hear that it may go away in time. Getting triggered like that makes me nervy and you often don't know when it's coming up.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's a really good point Venecia raises about the drinking - for all but the final series I was drinking myself so I never thought "man! do they drink" People drinking on TV/movies definitely yanks my chain. Strangely perhaps I seem to be fine in Supermarkets where there is actual booze for sale. Weird

So glad it is Friday

As for cars DD started out with a a 1959 Oldsmobile Dynamic then, as Venecia said a 1962 Cadillac Coupe deVille and finally a Jaguar XKE (E Type to non americans) I think there was one more but I cannot remember what it was
Old 11-06-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

O.m.g......E type Jag - one of my all time favourites. Have you ever driven one, Sao? I imagine they are very heavy to drive. They would have to have power steering though, wouldn't they? (Excuse my ignorance). I always thought the shape of them was pure brilliance. The lines are so exaggerated - they look like a cartoon.

One American car I'm fond of is the Studebaker. How gorgeous is this colour?!