Notices

(N ot So) CNew Franks Thread Part 7

Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never would have fit in well with that kind of scene. When I was in college, Halloween was a huge deal and I loved it. (Halloween is also my birthday so there you go.) But it was never the scope that I saw in those pics Wolfie shared. It's a pretty big deal here now in the States, too. Similar. And the militarization of police? To a degree, I understand their need for safety -- and that of the public -- but here in the U.S., it's gone overboard.

Figuring out where I fit into this world when it comes to a social life has been one of the harder parts of sobriety. We humans need socialization, but I have found myself more introverted now that I'm sober. And I am a rather introverted type to being with. In a couple places I've worked, the powers that be have decided it would be good for employees to undergo things like the Briggs Myers test (and one other one, the name I cannot remember). The results confirm I'm an introvert, though a friendly -- and even social -- one.

But I struggle to fulfill my needs for social interaction. Last night, my closest friend and her husband hosted their annual Day of the Dead bash. I make it about every other year since it coincides with my birthday and, with my parents aging, I've also wanted to be with them (and vice versa). That's become more so since Dad died in May 2014 and my mother's health has declined quite a bit.

And it's been a relief, frankly, to bow out of the party. It's become an event at which I know only some people. It's really hard for me.

On the other hand, I love small gatherings. A table full of friends -- I've reached a point where I'm totally comfortable with others drinking wine or beer while I have a club soda. Or just one or two. And I like having something to do -- activity and interaction. I find myself *really* envious of Sao when he describes his weekly "crazy golf" outings because it's that kind of event that I'd like -- fun time spent with people *and* doing something. One of my friends and I are going to a golf course driving range tomorrow after work. That's a good fit for me. And how two non-golfers ended up doing that is just too long of a story.

That's why they call it a journey. It's not over and I still have a lot to learn.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bodhi, for helping keep the thread lively.

I have been a little quiet lately. Stuff I've had to do IRL has kept me somewhat busy, and away, while work has been a bit of a bear. Which may let up this week. Or may not. I also get a little introspective as Father Time pushes me into another year -- all my screaming and fist-shaking at the sky is utterly futile.

Count me in. Others always welcome!

If we need another conversation starter, may I recommend Sao's recent contribution to the Weekenders thread ... (Ken/Weasel's response was absolutely priceless, but I'll have to dig a little further for that tomorrow.)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...9-post272.html
Old 11-01-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just reread:

"A table full of friends -- I've reached a point where I'm totally comfortable with others drinking wine or beer while I have a club soda. Or just one or two. "

Let me clarify: that meant "just one or two" friends.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Aghhhh!!!! So much to say but haven't the time right now.....get *outa* here??!!! That's your bedroom, Sao???!!!!

I'll be back!

P.S. I think it's nothing short of brilliant, Jen!!! I've posted a reply on the thread too :-)
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ha ha -yep. It's not to everyone's taste but there we go

Some great posts to commwnt on but i too am pushed for time, later I will comment about that Halloween/Scumoween event and Crazy Golf
Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I love it- I'm with you I think decor has become mind-numbingly boring. We love 70's stuff which is not to everyone's tastes either. I think some people are of the mind it's junk. The whole minamalist thing looks kind of cool but you just end up with having nothing much to look at. I'll post a photo of the lounge tomorrow, I will need help from Mr TS who is now in bed :-)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It has gone 6pm and I am still at work bah! (Waiting on an email or phone call)

I am really lucky to have the Crazy Golf - it is licenced premises so alcohol is served to those that want it but you (I) don't go near the bar - I give other people the money to get drinks when it is my round - just soft drinks for me.

The golf started in Shoreditch where I live as a pop up venue under the ambiguous name of Swingers Club but that closed and so we go to nearby Dalston. It's good fun.

I don't mind if my bedroom looks like tarts boudoir - only me gotta sleep in it
Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes, definitely very social creatures. I'm more into small gatherings too, Ven, and I love having an activity to do with people. I think I'm going to find it really hard having dinner with friends and not drinking - that will be my biggest test, I think.

We went ten pin bowling with my partner's daughter and her partner, but I just can't get into it for some reason. I do like sport, but that just doesn't do it for me. I don't even get much of a thrill if I fluke a strike.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hopefully nobody I know will look at these photos. I think it's highly unlikely, so here goes.....not to everyone's tastes but not boring and we like it.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Shabby, I love your living room! So airy, such color. And I like the 70s patterns!

It looks like your laptop is open to SR. It's nice to be there with you.

I think I posted when my new furniture arrived but what the heck. Here it is again. I'm still so thrilled with it. When I bought the pieces, I commented to the designer at the furniture store that everything has become so monochromatic, the mind-numbingly boring interiors you mentioned. It's nice to be amidst color. That red in your hallway seems popular; it's the accent all in my living room. Though it pales compared to Sao's Bedchamber of Bachelorhood.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great!! Love it :-) I love patterned materials and warm colours, and I *adore* your grey couch (envy twinges).

O.m.g. you are right! My laptop is open on SR! That's hilarious, but not a surprise!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks, Shabby.

I cannot seem to capture the color of the couch on either my iPhone or good camera. It's sort of a mixture of blue, green and gray. But it always comes out looking gray in photos.

I was curious -- is that a futon/daybed in your living room? So crisp and clean!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

They are both the same - the two white ones, but the one that looks like a day bed has it's 'back down.' We got them for a song. Only $1000 for both of them which is about $1200 US, I think. What you can't tell is that they have worn a lot and the white is coming off in the most used parts.....we always figured we would only get 5 years out of them at that price as they are some kind of leather substitute. New couches are on the (long) list :-)
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I like that TooShabby, I like it a lot. You have what I can never have which is a lot of light. As Venecia said those geometric patterns look great

The walls of my hall and living area are a similar red to to the two of you (through the doorway in Shabby house). No lurid gold. I bought some art deco style light fittings from an old restaurant which I was going to post a photo of but cannot seem to find right now
Old 11-03-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! We are lucky the lounge is north facing so it gets lots of light. The deck is shite though. Will cost thousands...but let's not get negative :-)

We love art deco too :-)

P.S. Mr TS wants to say he really likes your bedroom, Sao :-)
Old 11-03-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You would probably like this, Sao. My mother used to own a small art gallery (she lost lots of money but that's another story). This was one of the pieces - she gave it to me because I loved it. It weighs a ton. I think you would call this art deco(?)
Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

From what I've seen, Napier is a lovely art deco town - they rebuilt it in the 1930s after an earthquake, I believe?

All those lovely curves and geometric patterns

Have you been there TS?

D
Old 11-03-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Eeeek! I have so much to say too!! I've been busy, I'll be back tomorrow or next day for chatting xo
Stay safe!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome back Dee you're right, Napier does look good

Look forward to your post Jen

It has that period "feel" doesn't it Shabby, deco or nouveaux I like it either way. Glad Mr S liked my bedroom - it's been described by one of my daughters as a tarts boudoir

It's not even 9.00pm here and I may have to go to bed soon, exausted