Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 4

Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes Ready, just beginning the start of weekend 24. It's bright and early and I'm about to hit the elliptical before one final day of sightseeing. I fly back to New York tomorrow and then it's back to work and normal life on Monday.

I'm glad to hear things are good on your front (despite the sox being in free fall)

I've really had zero desire to drink these last few weeks, which is very nice. It's now Day 18 in a row and 162 of the last 164, I like that 162 is the number of games in a baseball season, haha.

I haven't gotten on the scale and am a bit nervous to do so since the number bothered me last time. My diet is going very well and I've been exercising. My clothing is all fitting even looser, to the point I need to get some new clothes (though I have some smaller ones at home for a previous time I'd lost weight.) so yeah, might just not upset myself with the number and stick to the diet/excersice.

It's bittersweet the trip is wrapping up, but it's been amazing and even a bit more special given I'm 100% sober and my family all saw it.

I know I need to really buckle down this August. Slow time at work, euphoria over the big raise, no school until September, etc. All could lead me to think drinking is fine. It's not and I know where it will lead me.

Have a great weekend Dee/Ready and for anyone else checking in!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

You too Mets

D
Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mets, it sounds like you had a great time, would love to hear some of the neat things you saw. Good for you knowing you have a month full of land mines ahead of you. Shields up!

I had a lovely day yesterday, nothing overly remarkable, lunch with my husband, dinner and some shopping with a friend. Today I'm just puttering around, I didn't sleep all that well last night so slept later than usual and am still a little bit slow. But no hangover, no guilt, no remorse, nothing unknown. I am grateful for that.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Back in the USA and slept well last night. Don't think I have any jet lag, though I don't have the energy to go to the gym this morning. Going to try when I get home from work.

I'm still feeling a bit nervous about this next few weeks in general as I won't be busy. Really going to focus on working out and other sober activities.

Have a nice week everyone.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad it was a good weekend Ready - welcome home Mets

D
Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Checking in here. I guess it's good that I'm starting to lose track, but it's about sober day 165 of the last 167 days for me.

My beloved Mets are trailing 1-0 in the 5th, which given how well we've been playing is quite unexpected. I think we will come back and sitting at home watching it while sober is just so much better than trying to piece the game together a day later.

At work today I had a few people comment on my weight loss, so I'm feeling good about that. I also got a belated bday gift in the mail today from my grandfather. A 128GB iPad Air with the cell plan paid for 2 years.

So, all is good here. Hope all is well with everyone else!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Checking in quickly here, I've been so busy at work and am just trying to get through the week. Mets, what a wonderful trip! And a nice gift as well. Sounds like you have a close family and I bet that upcoming wedding is going to be great. I like the fact that you put your slips in perspective. I had a drinking dream the other day that I drank and figured that now that I can't say that it's been x days (whatever it was in the dream), might as well just keep going. Those dreams are so real! I don't get them all that often, but I must be in a period of frustration that I'm unaware of, since this morning I woke up from a dream where I was back in college for a semester for some reason and just kept forgetting to go to class and then couldn't remember where the class was being held. At least they are just dreams.

On to reality - Happy Wednesday.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning all. It's another gorgeous day here in the northeast. It's already Friday morning, and August, so time is not slowing down at all.

I continue to have odd dreams, last night it was about smoking, which I have done off and on but not for years now. I don't recall ever having a dream like that before. I also woke up with a leg cramp that wouldn't go away for a while, so suffice to say, I could have had a better night's sleep.

Regardless, I'm trying to focus on the positive. It's a nice day, I'm going on vacation in just over a week, and it's the weekend in another 8 hours or so.

Mets, I hope you are settling in and the temptations are minimal. Isn't it an odd disease when you have to be just as wary when things are going so well, as you do when things seem to be crying out for a coping mechanism? Now that is a rhetorical question if ever I heard one.

On to the work day. TGIF!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend guys

D
Old 08-08-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There is really nothing better than a Saturday morning where the weekend is starting, not ending. This morning I not only have no urges, but I'm in that mind set of why did I ever drink, or want to. It would be great if I always felt that way but I've been fighting this disease for a lot of years now and know that there are many ebbs and flows. So ever vigilant, and for this one day, I am sober and happy.

The weather is amazing too. That always helps.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mets, how are you doing?

All good here, the weather has taken a dip but I'm still feeling good and positive. No plans today, but chores are calling - just as well since I didn't do any yesterday. Maybe a nap in the afternoon? Sounds lovely!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm doing well. Wrapping up weekend #26 and Day #25. This weekend was pretty relaxing. Went to a BBQ hosted by some extended family. Really had zero urge to drink at it. Just had a good time playing softball and bocce ball (not sure I spelled that correctly). Weather has been fantastic.

Going to the Mets game tomorrow night with my aunt, but then the rest of the week need to focus on sober plans. Next two weekends I have sober plans as well, so that's a bit of a relief.

Oddly, since getting back from vacation, I've been having more difficulty getting motivated to work out. I think it's just cuz of minor jet lag combined with soreness from getting a temporary crown in my tooth on Wednesday. They found I needed it before I left for vacation and I can see why the dentist advised to wait to put the temporary crown in until after I was back. Not horrible pain by any means, but a pain in the neck.

Ready, have you asked the doctor about the weird dream due to the medication maybe? I'm no doctor, but that seems possible.

Hope your able to get a nap in and have a relaxing Sunday!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good update Mets, and I agree the weather has been amazing. You'll get into the exercise routine again, after the dedication you have shown, a bit of a break seems totally earned. Bocce is spelled correctly btw. People play it a lot around here, and in the North End, there are actual bocce courts. It's a fun game.

I wanted to remember something for later, if I'm wavering in my resolve and have the forethought to read back on some of these entries before taking a drink. It's funny what triggers a memory, for me it was just laundry. One of the pairs of underwear in this load was the same kind as one I ruined in my last binge by not making it to the toilet, yes I pooped in my pants. There was more to that sad episode, nothing that was at all positive. That is what I need to remember the next time I want "just a glass of wine". TMI, but after a period of sobriety, it's just too easy to minimize the horror.

On that note - back to the Red Sox. The best part of a bad season is seeing all the young talent that gets their shot. Mets, I think it's great you're going to a game with your aunt - I'm an aunt and look forward to spending that kind of time with my nieces and nephews. Have fun!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy (?) Monday - and I sure am glad it's almost over! Tough, busy day at work. They get more so the closer I am to vacation, so some of it is the pressure of getting everything done or otherwise taken care of beforehand. Two whole weeks off, it will be so worth it.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ready, I have a ton of reminders like that. It's just mortifying.

And on the Sox being bad, that's what I've sat through since 2009 with the Mets. Finally we are doing well. As a Mets fan, I'm just accustomed to things going wrong, so I'm still waiting for them to collapse, but for now, it's loads of fun.

The game itself last night was great. Little cloudy and humid, but a nice evening and we saw a great come-from-behind game. There was zero desire to drink and yesterday morning I finally got back on the work out cycle and kicked my butt at the gym. Did the same this morning. I'll admit that I used a No-Doz caffeine pill to boost my energy, but that's a vice that I'm just not too worried about. It's better taking one to get enough energy to go to the gym than taking one so that I can get out of bed and fight through a hangover and barely manage to get to work on time.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Mortifying, humiliating, degrading - gee, anyone want a drink?

Glad you had a good time at the game. Since the Sox are out of it, I don't mind rooting for the Mets!

Nothing really to report here, just checking in. It's been raining pretty hard, the yard needs it and I didn't have to go out in it, so it's fine. I'm counting down to vacation, three work days to go.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Two days before vacation!! I'm busy but keeping the eye on the prize. Tomorrow I have client meetings and then will be meeting some friends for dinner in Boston. Should be fun.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ready, enjoy that much deserved vacation!

I had a pretty interesting day. I went in to work with my headphones since I knew the Mets had a noon game and I wanted to listen to it since we're the playoff hunt for the first time since 2008 (and we haven't been in the playoffs since 2006).

A few coworkers came by to say they had tickets for the game and asked me to go. I went with them and really had no trouble refusing drinks. It was more just not ordering drinks when the waiter came our way in the corporate seats.

It was just very enjoyable being at the game, just like it was on Monday night, while totally sober. We fell behind 2-0, but I felt confident we'd score and sure enough, we took a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the inning and went on to win 12-3.

I'm getting a bit excited in thinking my two favorite teams might win it all this year (Duke and the Mets), but am not getting too far ahead of myself. The Duke run to the title was extra special this year since I was at the championship in Indianapolis while totally sober and made it on a 5AM flight the next day without any trouble.

It will be a bit more challenging if/when the Mets make the playoffs since the games are all here and the ones I don't go to I'll likely be invited to bars since I'm the resident Mets expert at work, but I've now been to about 15 games this year and only drank at the one game back in April, so I know how to deal with it at this stage. In fact, it's so much better being sober since I don't have to use the bathroom, keep an eye out for the beer guy, or spend a ton of money on the overpriced beers at the game.

So yeah, all is well here. Worked out three mornings this week and am planning to do a run tomorrow morning. Then I'm going hiking with my dad on Saturday. Visiting a waterfall near our vacation home that we had no idea existed, but one of our neighbors told us about.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Baseball in the middle of a work day on a summer day? Sounds pretty perfect! It's 7 p.m. and I'm still trying to finish up one last task which has taken me most of the day and is probably a couple of hours from being done, mainly because now I am really not interested in it after all the time today, and it was tedious to begin with so that's saying something. But then, two weeks off, so I'm keeping my eye on that goal. I'm putting the Red Sox on right now, so I can keep up with it in the background. At this point, I'd be happy if they were simply competitive, long since gave up on the post season.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ready, enjoy the two weeks off! Any fun plans?

I'm up bright and early here, it's just going to be a hot humid day, which I hate. We're about to start our hike, then I plan to get a big jog in later. My arches in my feet are a bit sore since I went jogging outside this week for the first time in a long time (had been doing the elliptical for a few weeks).

Yesterday I slipped on my diet and found myself snacking all night. Nothing too unhealthy as my parents keep the place stocked with mostly healthy snacks, but I was nervously watching the mets game and had like a full bag of pita chips and hummus, then once they lost, I turned on the Nats game to see if they'd lose as well and we'd keep our lead. Ate a ton of gummy bears during that. They lost, yay! So much easier dealing with a slip on a diet than a slip with drinking. I feel like I can make up for it today with a hike and a jog and eating very little. With booze, it's like nothing can be done to undo it.

So anyway, I'm working through weekend #26 here, which means half a year and I guess is a bit of a milestone to be happy about. I know these 26 weekend have been more rewarding/engaging/fun/etc since I haven't been drinking and I know I haven't really "missed out" on anything worthwhile because I've been sober.

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend!