Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 16

Old 07-04-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Definitely steam it if you can Mark. Not boil. Usually 13 minutes will do it. No need for any seasonings. The meat is that sweet. Some people dip in melted butter, but we never do. I'm surprised ya'll got them down there! Wife and I just had three last weekend.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

That sounds really really good Arbor. Alas I had to pass on the lobster. It was $30 lb and I can't justify that. They had 3 tails on ice, so who knows how fresh. Sometimes you can get it live from the tank, that's what I had hoped for. I love the sweet taste.....it is a very rare treat because it doesn't come from the gulf, only colder waters I think. You can get it shipped overnight from Maine along with other items for a complete New England-style feast. I may try that this fall. So for today it will be lamb chops with a pesto sauce.

Wishing all the best day!
Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

$30 a pound! Wowzah!!! That's unbelievable. It ain't that good. On sale up here for $6.99 lb. but your right it's a local catch for us. Enjoy the chops. Happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

I love lobster but only have it out once in a blue moon-family does not eat any fish so I never cook it. Went to the local parade with the girls and left when the rain started. Soap oils are cooling; will make some later. Going to relax in the quiet with a book for a bit while the girls are out. BTW, I LOVE potato salad.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor8 View Post
That's unbelievable. It ain't that good.
My thought exactly. I don't think my taste buds are sophisticated enough to pay that for much of anything.

My firework display for the day is the lightening storm I'm enjoying. Will have to suffice. May have the Boston Pops on tonight. Kind of a tradition growing up. Glad they're an hour ahead, cause that's getting close to my bedtime.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

My local grocery store has lobsters for $6.99 /lb this weekend. Some stores will stem them for you. You call ahead and just pick them up at the fish service counter. Saves some of the cleanup, though shucking them is messy and smelly enough! I love lobster. I like lobster salad. Get all the meat out and mix it with just enough mayo(I use light) to hold it together, not wet. A little celery if you like(I do). You can have it on salad, or on a bun. I also like them steamed with butter, of course.

So, I did get potato salad put together. Conquest, when you are back on, give me some potato salad advice, please! I always seem to overcook the potatoes and have more of a lumpy mashed potato salad, but it still tastes great. I just cannot get them cooked just right to stay in nice chunks without getting all smashed up. I did the classic kind with some celery, red onion, parsley, eggs, mayo, mustard. The potatoes get dressed/tossed with some salt and pepper, and cider vinegar and olive oil while hot, then add the other stuff after they cool a bit.

Having steak tips with that. They are marinating. Probably some salad, and I also have some fresh raspberries and blueberries.

It is raining right this minute, but not supposed to do so all night. Nobody is asking to go to the fireworks in town, so we are keeping quiet about it. I think there will be too many clouds and mosquitoes. Also the way our field is, it is a traffic nightmare in and out of that venue.

We will watch the Pops too, Mark. Are you a Northerner, originally, or are the Pops a national treasure? I remember Arthur Fiedler from when I was a kid. And John Williams after him was amazing. Keith Lockhart is good too, but I have more nostalgia for the other two.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Happy 4th everyone!

I've been running around all day (dog-sitting, bike ride to a parade, stopped by my parents'), just had a hamburger and cherry limeade from Sonic, so now it's time for a nap. This holiday is all about freedom, so I'm exercising my right to be lazy for a bit.

Stay strong, friends!
Old 07-04-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Phoebe, That's exactly how I make mine... Not sure what kind of potatoes you use, but the red potatoes seem to hang together best. Although, I like the russet mashed/creamy potato salad too. Heck, I love it all. Lol
Old 07-04-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Phoebe, your whole menu sounds delicious to me. I enjoy most all types of potato salad. Around here, I think red potatoes are most common type used, and most recipes include finely chopped pickles.....either sweet or dill. All good but I think my favorite may be dill. Sweet pickles are regionally more popular, just like sweet iced tea.....which I've never liked. This of course raises a few eye brows in certain circles as to my Southern pedigree. But according to what limited research I've done, my ancestors arrived in Virginia in the early 1700s and migrated further south from there. So I guess the pops is a national treasure/tradition. I kind of lump it in with the Macy's and rose bowl parades. I have it on in the background but don't sit and watch every minute.

A neighbor suggested a place in nyc that they usually go for lobster, so I may get to enjoy some next week. Hard to believe a week from now I'll be settled in central Manhattan. Yikes.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

You can certainly find lobster in NYC, Mark. It is a very expensive city, but I bet your lobster will still be better than $30 per pound, lol. If you know a local, that is the best for dining and touring recommendations. My kids love the Hardrock Cafe, but it's just a chain. Fun for kids, though. They also loved the Museum of Natural History, after seeing the Night at the Museum movie.

I don't think I mentioned it, but I did add some of the juice from sweet pickles to my dressing, but not the actual pickles. I got that idea watching my mom do it into her macaroni salad. I have also made a version with dill weed in it.

Conquest, your day sounds wonderful! I love a good nap!
Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Someone suggested Luke's lobster...especially for the lobster rolls. Supposed to be fresh from Maine. I really like the potato salad with dill weed in it too.

Museum of natural history is on the agenda. Getting excited, but lots of things to get in place at work this week.

Briar, how's the west coast crew doing? Hope you're feeling better.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Well, the kids convinced Dad to light up the fire bowl. We will have the "boy in da hood" over for S'mores. I even have a few broken graham crackers for the golden retriever who drops by. Not enough marshmallows. I think kids got a friend to bring some.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That looks wonderful, Phoebe.

My husband is a huge fan of lobster and crab, so it does occasionally come through our house. It's pretty pricy when it's not like right exactly in season. I can take it or leave it, I'm more into fish. Love salmon.

No thrilling dinner here. We went out for a nice lunch and are just scavenging for dinner. I had crackers, brie, and plum jam, plus like 8 fresh plums. I'm the only one who eats them, and there's only so much I can do, that's why most of them end up as jam. My daughter has apples, crackers, and shelled pumpkin seeds. Meh, it'll do.

In a couple hours we're going to stake out our spot for watching fireworks. We don't actually go to the show because it's madness with the crowds, and the noise would probably scare our daughter anyway. So we do it real ghetto style by taking over the lawn at a dentist's office with a good view of the show. It's a couple blocks from a grocery store, so we send my husband in for snacks. It will be fun.

And, yeah, it will feel weird to do it sober, but it will be worth it tomorrow. Which reminds me...since the rest of the country is celebrating the fourth by getting smashed, I propose we claim tomorrow as our own holiday where we celebrate being hangover free: the Funk Free Fifth.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Besides, those lobsters are nothing but trouble

Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

I like Funk Free Fifth!

I was devoured by mosquitoes in the 20 minutes I chatted with my neighbor. I iput on spray, but too late. I may need Benadryl to sleep. The itch keeps me awake. Why do they love me so?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

That sucks, Phoebe, I hope you feel better.

They always get me too. That's the trouble with nice summer days around here: yellow jackets in the day and mosquitoes at night.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Thanks, Briar.

I do love summer, but bugs are so annoying. The kids wonder why we have mosquitoes. I say, they feed the bats. Then why do we have bats....?? Lol.

It is what it is. I have lived with it for 51 years now!
Old 07-04-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Watching the Pops. Don't know who this guy is doing the Billy Joel songs, and wonder why Billy does not do it? Is there s Broadway Billy Joel production? May this is who does that? He is good, but not Billy.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Funk Free Fifth! YES!!!
Everyone just left and I'm staring at a cleanup job that's going to wait until tomorrow.
One of the perks of my apartment is living right where the fireworks go off and next to a park where they have food, games, and live music. Check out the up close view! It was a fun night and I'm tuckered out. Goodnight guys! Can't wait to celebrate tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (26.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (32.8 KB, 15 views)