Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 2)

Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Okay after rereading, Z looks as if it is things that help you not to drink. Sorry for posting so soon.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Ten- congrats on two weeks! That is awesome!

knb and michtizz- if you're going to music festival keep and eye out for MusiCares/Friends of Bill W. It's a foundation run by the Grammys and they set up AA meetings once a day at most major music festivals. You can get the SR ap on your phone as well. Just something to keep in mind!

Went for my morning walk and then did some grocery shopping. I have to work today but I'm happy to learn that I don't have to be there until later, so I can hit up my 12pm meeting which I thought I was going to miss. I usually do that and the chat meeting on here on Tuesdays, but I'll definitely miss the chat meeting so I'm happy to make at least one of the two!

I got a few more recovery books in the mail I'm going to dig into. Looking forward to some new reading material!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TENtx View Post
Hi, guys. Checking in, day #14. Two weeks.

I'm at a crossroads here.

Mondays are my toughest day b/c of this irrational anxiety I have about work. Yesterday it appeared again, and my loving and supporting wife, who is 2+ years sober btw, suggested I use her appointment yesterday with her therapist, Jane, which happened to be scheduled at 1 pm.

So I went to the session with Jane. I had been to see her last year about my drinking and other issues. She had recommended last year that I join a support group, and I wish I had taken her advice right away and not waited to join SR.

Anyway, Jane believes I have issues with my inner child. My wife has mentioned this before. My childhood was mostly my father screaming at me. No wonder I'm here, right.

Jane says the good news is that inner child therapy is accepted and well established in most circles. The bad news is that it's just like the therapy for alcoholism, in that there is no one magic bullet that fixes everything, and I'll have to find one that works for me.

So I did some research online and I found a well respected inner child therapist who has written several self help books about it. I bought the first book and I'm considering whether or not to go through the therapy.

The idea is that the therapy takes you back in time to the incidents that impeded the growth of your inner child, and you experience them again, although this time you have yourself as a loving adult to guide you through the experience the correct way, so you can heal the wounded child that's still in you. Makes sense, right? It does to me.

Anyway, last night I get to the point in the book that the therapy is about to begin, and the author warns that the therapy should not be done by anyone with a current addiction issue, because the therapy is very emotional and it's likely to cause a relapse.

He suggests any patient should be at least a year sober before trying it. Of course, I'm just two weeks sober.

I think this therapy is exactly what I need to get my whole life on track, and I'm doing very well with my concepts of sobriety so far, so I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do.

I'll keep you posted. Any input you guys may have would be welcome.
Congrats on 2 full weeks of abstinence! That's wonderful, Ten. The therapy sounds like it will be very tough (as well as lengthy and expensive.) I'm not all that much into therapy so take this with a grain of salt. My take on things that traumatized us in childhood is that we can't change it, no matter how much time we put into analyzing it and making sense of it.

I think we stand to gain more from just working on acceptance, forgiveness and focusing on the present and the future. The serenity prayer pretty much sums it up for me. Meditation, acceptance and forgiveness should do the trick, don't you think?

You don't want to dredge up all that stuff. Does it really do any good? Like I said, jmho. Do what you feel will give you the greatest relief but I hate to see people suffer needlessly, and your sobriety is key right now. ((Hugs))

Originally Posted by 4thekidz View Post
Day 12: Liver let die (live and let live?)

Sleep! 5+2 (3am let dog out). Invigorating run with the dog- 7 strong. No sign of the parasite, not even a wiggle. Had a big meeting last night requiring me to pass TWO liquor stores. Each way, I forgot they were there.

I suspect that the liver toxins are waning. Not the alcohol metabolites- they were gone over a week ago- but rather the by-products of damaged liver cells- all those enzymes, fat molecules and products of the liver "junkyard." My enzymes should be back at their baseline, but at this stage I am still working on reversing "fatty liver,": the accumulation of lipid globules inside the liver cells, accumulated over months when my enzymes were to busy breaking down alcohol to attend to fats. So now I'm cleaning out the closet, if you will. In six weeks' time, the fat will be eliminated. Taking alcohol's "killer Bs," folate, thiamine, other B vitamins, and my Omega-3 & 6 oils to assist with the clean-up.

A healthy human liver contains about 150 billion liver cells; each cell has a lifetime of about 450 days. Doing the math, every day sober, YOUR body is making over 300 MILLION- new little baby cells who never knew nor had to wrestle the alcohol molecule. In about 18 sober months you have an ENTIRELY new liver. This of course does not take into consideration other factors such as hepatitis, metabolic syndrome (non-alcoholic fatty liver from bad diet/obesity), environmental toxins, etc.

Perhaps in November 2016 we will hold up our juice glasses and welcome our clean, new livers.

Good luck to all.

Wow! Where did you find all that information on liver regeneration? Very exciting. I wonder what each of our livers looks like. Some tissues are too far gone to regenerate but I hope mine is still salvageable. A liver is a terrible thing to waste.

Congrats on day 12!!

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
Ten- congrats on two weeks! That is awesome!

knb and michtizz- if you're going to music festival keep and eye out for MusiCares/Friends of Bill W. It's a foundation run by the Grammys and they set up AA meetings once a day at most major music festivals. You can get the SR ap on your phone as well. Just something to keep in mind!

Went for my morning walk and then did some grocery shopping. I have to work today but I'm happy to learn that I don't have to be there until later, so I can hit up my 12pm meeting which I thought I was going to miss. I usually do that and the chat meeting on here on Tuesdays, but I'll definitely miss the chat meeting so I'm happy to make at least one of the two!

I got a few more recovery books in the mail I'm going to dig into. Looking forward to some new reading material!
What a great tip!! Speaking of the SR Tuesday chat meeting, what time does it start? What time zone is it based on? I've yet to attend one but it would be great to experience it and start a new "z."

Day 13 for me! Feeling good and can't complain. Major congrats to everyone who is sticking it out and realizing just how precious sobriety really is. It's nothing to be taken lightly. Have a lovely day and evening. (((((Hugs))))))
Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Cissy- they do them every Tuesday and Friday night at 9PM EST.

They post an announcement for each one here:

Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.....Just checking in. Day 8 for me. Still not sleeping well and having a bit of anxiety, but not nearly as much if I had been drinking. Had a few twinges of thoughts like "Well maybe I can just have one" the past couple days, but then I think about how horrible it all is for me, and how much better I feel now.

Hope everyone is feeling good! On to week 2!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Thanks, site. Maybe I'll come hang out with the folks tonight at 9.

Gina, remember that the AV is nothing but a liar straight from hell. We've all tried to moderate our drinking and it just was impossible. Stay strong and carry on!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hi all. It's 8 pm and I have just come home after a gruelling boxing class. Man it's so nice to be sober for a change! I have the energy to exercise after work. know it's a novelty at the mo but I have really missed that part of me.

Someone mentioned self love and self respect recently. That's exactly what we are doing...we are truly loving ourselves. I like looking in the mirror in the mornings. There is no shame, angst, pity, dread, in my eyes ...I see hope :-)
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Got the job. Train next week starting Monday, going on a previously planned vacation that next Saturday for nine days, and then to work for real the Monday I get back. That's a relief.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Good for you Casey !
Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
nmd

knb - taking a boxing class sounds like fun, I bet it feels great! Even the sore muscles

Congrats on the job Casey!

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
In my opinion, that would be a major step toward committing to sobriety and just an all-around good idea for you.
It would seem like the obvious step, right? And it's not like it was never advised to me, but sometimes we ignore the obvious and simple solutions... like don't drink, don't keep old homebrew equipment around, don't place yourself in temptations way.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

That's great you got the job, Casey!!! Congrats!!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4thekidz View Post
Day 12: Liver let die (live and let live?)
I suspect that the liver toxins are waning. Not the alcohol metabolites- they were gone over a week ago- but rather the by-products of damaged liver cells- all those enzymes, fat molecules and products of the liver "junkyard." My enzymes should be back at their baseline, but at this stage I am still working on reversing "fatty liver,": the accumulation of lipid globules inside the liver cells, accumulated over months when my enzymes were to busy breaking down alcohol to attend to fats. So now I'm cleaning out the closet, if you will. In six weeks' time, the fat will be eliminated. Taking alcohol's "killer Bs," folate, thiamine, other B vitamins, and my Omega-3 & 6 oils to assist with the clean-up.

A healthy human liver contains about 150 billion liver cells; each cell has a lifetime of about 450 days. Doing the math, every day sober, YOUR body is making over 300 MILLION- new little baby cells who never knew nor had to wrestle the alcohol molecule. In about 18 sober months you have an ENTIRELY new liver. This of course does not take into consideration other factors such as hepatitis, metabolic syndrome (non-alcoholic fatty liver from bad diet/obesity), environmental toxins, etc.
Love this post, 4. Where did you get this info? I love the physiological/medical aspects of recovery. Another "z"!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1982 View Post
Day #16. Standing strong. Had a tough day at work today but managed to keep the cravings at bay.
Just keep visiting SR to keep me strong and hopefully motivating my fellow Mayvens to keep it up.
That's great on day 16, Freedom!!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Hi all. It's 8 pm and I have just come home after a gruelling boxing class. Man it's so nice to be sober for a change! I have the energy to exercise after work. know it's a novelty at the mo but I have really missed that part of me.

Someone mentioned self love and self respect recently. That's exactly what we are doing...we are truly loving ourselves. I like looking in the mirror in the mornings. There is no shame, angst, pity, dread, in my eyes ...I see hope :-)
This.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Congrats twice, Casey! Once for leaving the job you didn't like and again for getting another one right away! Well done. We knew you could do it.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Need, your z is something new you are doing to stop drinking after x and y have failed.

It's not really an accepted clinical term. It's just something the Maytags here have coined, so you really wouldn't be expected to know what it is.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

I was wondering about the z's and figured it was a "family" thing. I come by enough to see how ya'll are doing, but I just have missed something.

I love it! That is so awesome. May rocks. Almost as much is April
Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

I think I may have some inner child issues too Ten. Grew up in a divorced house hold, weekends with my dad who was an alcoholic, weeks with my mum who never had a kind word to say about my dad. I see my dad in a new way now and understand all the struggles he must have gone through trying to quit, which he tried many times. I haven't seen my dad for over 10 years, so I really don't know how he is doing now. Will be seeing him at christmas. Hopefully we will both be sober. Us kids all hated that he drank, sad that I have ended up the same way.
On a lighter note, on to day three. Was sitting at my daughters swimming lesson talking to a friend, all the while thinking of opening a bottle when I got home and drinking it as fast as I could. Managed to talk myself out of it. So feeling upbeat and proud of myself today.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
Was sitting at my daughters swimming lesson talking to a friend, all the while thinking of opening a bottle when I got home and drinking it as fast as I could. Managed to talk myself out of it. So feeling upbeat and proud of myself today.
Glad you talked yourself out of it, chanty! Just wondering though, does "opening a bottle when I got home" mean that you have bottles at the house now?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3, Chanty. Way to go!

After reading about the inner child stuff, I'm quite certain that lots of us here on SR have it. I think ArtFriend was posting on here that she had done some of the therapy and how tough it was. Well, it is. I started it today and it is very emotional.

I like it, though. It's already helped me. And it didn't drive me to drink, either. Hans, my AV, hasn't said a single work all day.

Just like any alcohol recovery program, you have to decide for yourself if this kind of therapy makes sense to you and if you think it will help.