Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 8

Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sorry to be a downer, I had wine tonight, just too much going on, I'm trying but it is so easy to fail even with great motivation. I'm stuck in mud . There really isn't one aspect of my life that isn't changing right now and am having trouble with that, a glass of wind is the only thing that doesn't change and even that now I don't seem to have control over. I'm just really tired. Back at it in the am, but disappointed.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you really need to look hard at your recovery programme Magellan cos it's letting you down....

There will always be a reason to drink, believe me - a good recovery plan is about making it easier to choose another way to deal with whatever is buffeting you around right now

D
Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 11Stars View Post
Flying today. Not happy about it. Feelings of dread. Mostly about how much it would hurt my kids if I died. Good motivation to not drink but the basic fear of flying still stands. Any advice? This is the 1st of four trips in the next 5 weeks....
Just remember that flying is safer than driving. Really, we have to accept that we could die at any time even if we did nothing--illness, storm, asteroid, etc.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Will be a sober day today

11stars maybe try some calming herbal tablets or drink to help calm those nerves for flying x

Apple thanks for ur reply x I know I need to make a plan for the weekends so I'm not tempted to buy drink. I'm working all day Sunday so will have to make sure I don't take enough money to buy any. Same goes for Friday night.

Hope to hear from u all today to see how u all are xxx
Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

11stars -- hope your flight went okay. I get apprehensive when flying, too.

Magellan/Erratic -- keep fighting, guys. Are there maybe meetings nearby that could provide you additional support? I'm thinking they might provide an additional level of defense when things are stressful.

Applekat -- how are you and peanut?

Gypsy -- hope things go well with the counselor for your son. Enjoy the concert.

Groundhogday -- how are things going with you?

A brisk 2 degrees this morning -- I'm glad to be warm and in the office today!!! Hugs to all.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello Novembers.

Was away for Thurs through Saturday last week, and then catching up at home and kids back to school yesterday. Trying to stay sober for lent, so, we will see if that helps me stay more convicted.

Apple, I watched the Oscars. it was a long and boring one, no? But I was very impressed with Lady Gaga's singing, and simple performance. Lovely! I enjoy the dresses. I have not seen many of the movies. I stayed up way too late, since I see my daughter off at about 6:30 am, and I stayed up way to late last night for no good reason, other than watching the news. So, I am exhausted today.

I may take a nap today. I am in a huge funk waiting for all the snow to melt and for spring ot arrive. I need to push myself to be more active, as i tend to lean towards hibernation!

Gypsy, I hope the services help with your son. My daughter has ADHD, and some depression issues and takes 2 meds, and intermittently sees a therapist and she has been very good for her. I also got her a tutor to help with school a month or so ago. We find these things helpful, and more importantly, she does. She is really good these days. Has her moods and a bad day here and there, but treatment has helped her a great deal. also, with depression, it is a lifelong medical issue, so it is healthy for her to be comfortable caring for herself, like one would see a dentist, as a matter of routine care.

Hmmm, I should be more like my daughter, huh? Care for myself, as well as everyone else.

Erratic, and Magellan, I struggle too. Not far behind either of you. The roller coaster is exhausting. It is important to hold on to the knowledge that alcohol is toxic, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. That Easy Way book was good for laying that out there, very clearly. I have it.

Off to shower and get something done this morning.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
not a greeter

The doctor recommended that my son might be better off in a 1:1 counseling setting rather than the 3 day/weekly group setting. He thinks my son's depression is mild and situational and suggested melatonin for his sleep issues. At this point he has calmed down and I've been drinking tea with him, trying to get the excess caffeine from soda out of his diet. He notices a difference. He also notices that since he's been grounded from working until he gets to school on time, he's happier and he attributes it to eating healthy food at home rather than at work (he works at Mcdonalds!). At this point I'll look into a different program because track is starting and if he's in that after school group he won't be able to participate in track and I know it's important to him. So, I'll keep an eye on him, look into other options and get some melatonin & continue sleepy teas at bedtime.

My other son, however... Is going to get counseling no matter what. Although he and my bf have their own issues, my son is rude & aggressive & disrespectful to me as well. Whatever help the emergency response team come up with I will welcome.

Be kind to yourself Phoebe .

And Erratic.

I totally ad libbed my stress & meditation presentation last night lol. It went well! I plan on winging it tomorrow too .

Hang in there peeps. Is cold and sunny outside but warm & sober inside. I hit 120 days yesterday... That's 4 months!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months gypsy, and day 121 today. We can all attest, not an easy thing to do - this constant sobriety thing.

I used to drink a cup of Bedtime tea before bedtime, it was Yogi brand but I'm betting they have others. It has valerian root in it. Maybe that is a routine you and son could get into, assuming valerian is ok for kids. It's a calming herb supplement, good for before bed (obviously lol)!

Yes phoebe Oscars was fairly boring. Lol! After the fact I am just laying there thinking why did I stay up?! Past years I would be staying up for "just one more drink." Barf.

Keep at this everyone. Mile for mile. You don't stop running the race if you stumble.

Me and peanut - first appointment tomorrow with the high risk group. I'm hoping to walk away with a better understanding of what I have and what the future may hold.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Good luck with your group tomorrow Applekat. Thinking good thoughts for you & baby.

One more class today... Vinyasa. It's a fun group thank goodness. I'm very tired today, have had a headache for days and an amber alert set all our phones off around 2am. I never fell back asleep .
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes applekat

congrats on 4 months gyps

D
Old 02-24-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

congrats gypsy!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Feel bad that I haven't checked in much. Had to do it today as I've now reached triple figures. One hundred days without a drink. A hundred days ago that would have seemed like something only someone else could do.

Surely there should be some wisdom coming out of something that significant? I wish. I wish especially I could offer you something, Magellan, after the name-check! It feels presumptuous to tell anyone else you've 'got to' do anything but, for me, anything that didn't have 'forever' in it was a cop-out. If it's any help, I did read something that kept me going in the early days about not thinking of it as 'forever' but as 'just a lot of days'. That and Applekat's marvellous maxim are what have brought me here. And all of you, of course. It now feels much more normal to me not to drink than drinking ever felt. Early on in my visits here, however, it seemed to come over loud and clear that the number one danger was thinking you could 'moderate' or 'control' it. I don't know about anyone else, but I know I can't, so forever it is.

Fight on!
Px
Old 02-24-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 100 days Pixie

D
Old 02-24-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Yeah, Pixie, 100 days!! That's so huge! Well done.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Applekat, I hope you have a good appointment.

Congrats pixie and Gypsy!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by workforit View Post
GroundhogDay -- how are things going with you?
I am doing well. No relapses or temptations. Very busy and exhausted this week, but in a good, productive way. I am generally happy and at peace right now.

Good luck Applecat. I hope everything works out well for you and baby. It must be hard dealing with the uncertainty.

Congrats on reaching your new milestones Gypsy and Pixie. I'm coming up on two months, but it seems like so much longer.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Well done pixie xx

2 months is still great GHD xx

Will be another sober day for me

Sign in when u can all. It's good to read ur posts it helps me to keep coming back and doing xx hugs all
Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Great job Pixie!!
I'm trying your plan...90 days + forever!
Day 2
Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Yay, Pixie!! That's fantastic!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi peeps... Checking in quickly before my 1st class. This is the first time I'm back to it, excited & looking forward! I have another meditation/stress presentation to do right after. Kinda stressed about it lol. I'm not sure of the format and an splitting time with other instructors, a bit apprehensive but plan on winging it and staying positive that it will go well.

I think it's quite ironic to be talking about stress reduction on the heels of the turmoil with my sons, insomnia, migraine for the past few days and words with my partner this morning. I haven't said anything negative until today but his kids make far too much noise at night bouncing around upstairs and shrieking noises. Yeah, they're kids but there's a time and place for it and it's affecting my wellbeing so night time is quiet time in my mind. The recurring theme is if I mention his kids, he's defensive and I'm wrong for it. In fact whatever I say, he's defensive about and tries to justify or pass the blame. He asked in the middle of the night a few nights ago what was wrong, what do I need and when I tried expressing myself I was met with his usual lectures and cutting me off tactics. Then, he says can we be done with this conversation since it's not going anywhere? Uh... I never even get to talk! Okay... Done now . We have an individual counseling session today at his request. I'm miffed about that too, since he contacted the counselor without telling me. I don't mind that he wants it, I just wonder why he didn't tell me. He hasn't answered that.

Anyway... I hope everyone has a peaceful, sober day. Thanks for a great post Pixie, your resolve is inspiring. 100 days is not easy but neither is just 1 day. Good for you for stringing them all together!