Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 16

Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey all good morning

It's hump day (aka the peak of the week)

Back at work after a couple of days off today. I have only briefly glanced at emails whilst I have been off and instead had some down time. I once used to reply to all of them whilst on day off drinking days. That's a great change. Heading in without any worries today :-)

I am awake super early for some reason, so just sitting around drinking tea before I head out.

Dry - I really get you on that. SR and Team A have kept me safe and sound on many occasions where I have been sat home alone thinking a drink would be a great idea.

Clear - I really understand the moderation thing. The AV can be so cunning like that. Keep posting, you'll get through. Like you I have an 'eff it' button which sometimes isn't far away from getting pressed so I sometimes have to use every tool I have to realise that button is not an option any more.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober day.

Scooter - sure those meds will level out soon. Stay with them and take some relaxation time for yourself
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hi choobie!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Great posts guys! Dry, choobie you guys are spot on. Grateful, Hobbers, blackbird, wonderful to see you! Pink, I am jealous! London is super cool, I stayed in Camden a few years back, hung out went to all the vintage places, saw a concert at the roundhouse. One of my favorite towns.

I get the F button talk. Boy do I have it. Growing up listening to punk music, playing in bands, and generally attaching rebellion and alcohol to my identity. Still hard sometimes to pull them apart as it feels like I sold out and became a "responsible adult". Really strange to battle that still at this point in my life. But at least I am aware of it and can let it pass, realizing that there is nothing punk and nihilistic about being a fat, slow, depressed middle age man that cancels play dates for his son. Rebellion is doing what is the tougher thing to do, and that is to master your own demons. And to stand up and be proud of doing the opposite of what most people do. And to do it by choice and resolve. Hey, that sounds kinda punk huh?

Those thoughts, ladies and gentlemen, brings me to today's quote,

"Ones destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." Henry Miller

Turn and face the strange,

Changes.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more years I'm a responsible adult I realise it's not selling out (at least for me) - I actually feel this is the authentic me...but it's actually pretty hard work.

I'm not a million miles away from the rebel tho, if the mood strikes me

D
Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Good morning,

We got about six more inches of snow overnight! I was hoping it would just be a dusting, but I heard the plow early this morning, so knew it was more than I hoped. Schools have a two hour delay, so I will wait before going to the Y for the miserable walk/jog.

Dry, I believe that this group has kept me sober. Before I found SR, I tried quitting many, many times. This group definitely made the difference for me, and I am forever grateful to each and every one of you.

Choobie, great post - insightful.

Grateful, good to hear from you.

London and Ultra, I am hoping these meds level out soon. At this point they seem to take effect about two hours after I take the pill, and last about 20 hours; early mornings are my toughest times now.

Clear, thank you for pointing out that I have done two things that I said I would not. That helped me more than you can imagine. I have felt I am flailing around doing nothing, but I did tell my brother he must contact others, and I did contact my doctor and get medication.

And, since telling my brother that, I have only gotten two texts, both cheerful and uplifting, and NO CALLS ! ! Of course, I am still jumpy and expecting more calls, but thinking with the help of the meds, I will be able to handle them better. I am also leaving my phone off when driving; my hands and feet would literally start to shake when I saw his name on my bluetooth screen. I just can't do that in this weather.

Let's keep on keeping on. BUG HUGS.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

That was funny Determined- nice approach and framing of your 'new' inner-rebel. Few people have the courage and commitment to go after the life they desire.

Serious Ultra Runners (read: Not Me) often get grief from those who don't understand the decision to pursue greatness (probably in any given endeavor) and thus criticize.

"Why would you do that?, "What if you get lost in the woods?, "People have died.", "Why can't you just be a 'normal' runner", "You're hurting your joints".

One woman's family would complain to her husband about her at every family gathering (they were to afraid to confront the runner). She and her husband talked about how to respond in a powerful and positive way and shift the focus of the conversatiion.

The response: "Yes, she does run 50 mile races in the wilderness. What's your Superpower?"

Lets continue to pursue greatness- in every aspect of out lives!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hand in there Scooter! I know you are a Patriots fan.

Remember the mantra "Do Your Job" (drilled into my heat by my Regional Director). You are doing your best to focus on you and what you can control- the only thing in this situation you can directly impact.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

London- I suppose the "eff it" button is something we all have here on SR-we just may have different names for it. My problem is that I like the eff it guy better than my authentic self on some days. I have just discovered this in the past few days thanks to your collective feedback. I'm very comfortable in the drinking guy's skin, not as much in sober skin. I need to work on this as well.

Determined- once again, you made me laugh aloud at the middle-aged punk description. You are correct, the much more difficult path, is the sober one. It takes an amazing amount of resolve,discipline, self-awareness and desire for a better life.

Ultra- still can't believe you are going to run 50 miles this fall. That is a pretty awesome goal.

Scooter- glad I could help- sometimes the objective eyes and ears see and hear things we don't. Just one of the powerful and wonderful phenomenons at work here on Team A.

Pink- how are you doing today ? Still counting down to your awesome weekend? : )
Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

argh stressed busy studying!!!!! quick post!!! counting down to Friday baby!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the shout outs guys, love you millions xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-25-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thanks Cleareyes. Lucky for me I'm gunning for the lower end of the Ultra Scale.

I'm running a 50k(ish) / 32 miles. I was going over my training schedule today and my heart was beating a bit faster.

I think that's a good thing.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

(hug) gang.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

haven't been around for awhile... pink we have the same day! six months this saturday. yay!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hey all

Hope everyone is good

Post n run on the way to work early. I will be back later. Great posts to read this morning.

The mornings are getting lighter! I love early morning light, it helps with the out of bed challenge, ha ha. And soon we are in March gang. I like March a lot. The month when the UK comes out of hibernation !
Old 02-26-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thursday, weekend in sight!

Gotta jump quick today, been thinking a lot about how important it is for us to constantly be aware of our thinking patterns. It is so easy to forget we can think positively or negatively by our own choice. Trip on that today cool cats.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought." Buddha

Tulips.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Good Morning!
Great to hear from you, Paulina, and so glad you are at 6 months. Way to go!!!!

Good thought this morning, Determined! Also, our current reality is the outcome of our previous choices. We are our own reality.

In Minnesota, March is the month that we just hang on. It's the snowiest month and we often get a long cold snap that hangs on through early April. May is beautiful!

Ultra, I don't think you are being too extreme at all. I have no doubt that if you started to see a negative, long term effect on your health you would alter your goals or training regimen.

London, I love the longer days, too!

Scooter, I think you are doing a great job with your situation. You are taking care of yourself and insisting on healthy ways of handling the problem. You can't control the outcome, but you can do your best to take care of yourself. Inspiring. Keep doing fun things, please!

I survived a failed political coup at work and was not successfully usurped. Now the ball is in my court, and there is no drama, backstabbing, gossip or sabotage in my court.

This morning I am grateful for:
a full sized keyboard
girl scout cookies
a blue sky
fresh towels
Old 02-26-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hi team, day 28 here and so glad to have got a few weeks under my belt, came off the serene pink cloud Tuesday but feeling more positive again today despite having a sore throat. Still hitting a LOT of AA meetings and attending the recovery/AA workshop thing every week also got alcohol counselling session this evening, it can be hard to juggle but I kinda knew I need to immerse myself in recovery this time for it to stick!

Going through my step 4 with my sponsor tomorrow and although Im not afraid of it, it will seem a bit weird. (Its basically telling him my life story). Im sure it will be ok.

Hope all is well with everyone and I'll check in again soon.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I think the meds are starting to work earlier in the morning. And, this August group has helped make me a stronger person; I honestly cannot imagine what I would be like right now without all the support you have given me.

Only two upbeat texts from my brother in the past week.

I have decided to make a choice every morning - today I have chosen to not answer the phone if it is my brother. I have NEVER done that to him, but I realized this morning at the Y that I feel good except for the dread that the phone will ring, and I will have the same conversation that leaves me with my heart pounding and my hands and feet literally shaking. Well, I don't want to deal with it today; maybe tomorrow. But, for today, I am concentrating on myself and not spending my day dreading a phone conversation.

I am going to lunch with a group of library volunteers today - - believe it or not, a fun, funny, rather rowdy group.

BUG HUGS, everyone, and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

1 step. ......4 weeks baby! Awesome! So proud of you! What are you doing this weekend to celebrate? Enjoy xx

Pauline my twin! How are you celebrating Saturday? Excellent news, isn't it fab? 6 months!

Busy and tired. Short post.
Love to all
Ignore the Av, it's full of crap
You can all do this, I'm thinking of you and proud of you all xxxxxxx
Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Friday babies!! Can I get an ahhh yeahh!!

Went back and read my very first post last night! Felt I needed to refuel for the next six. Was planning vacation and thought of piņa coladas on the beach came to mind. The AV was wearing that sexy bikini again! It really helped to read how I felt when I joined here. By the way, choobie, you were the first one in the class I met when I posted on the big board!

In the words of London, told the AV to foxtrot Oscar! Plus, I have abs again, since quitting the beer! That will be my happy hour, the proud feeling of self respect. That happy hour is 24/7. Moreover, you can order a virgin piņa colada! Duhh determined!

Off to make a kale shake and hit the gym.

Thankful lists you post are awesome, love reading them .

Thankful for this team.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars." Henry Van Dyke.

Be present.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Heroes take journeys, confront dragons, and discover the treasure of their true selves.

Carol Pearson.