last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-15-a-20.html

D
Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wild Night. I mistakenly tasted alcohol- yet all is good. I'll explain.

I was at an "80's" night company gathering. Wild costumes, 80's music, 80's video games, etc. Open bar, passed 80's drinks, etc.

I stayed for about an hour and decided to have a "Risky Business" (80's Movie) chocolate mini-cake on the way out. I took a bite and something 'popped' in my mouth. I felt a sting of alcohol and went back to the dessert table with the bite still in my mouth. I read the description of the cake: 'Chocalate cake with truffle and brandied cherries'.

This is totally my fault. I assumed that the description would say 'contains gluten' or something. Everything at my meetings has descriptions. Even the fruit says 'gluten free'. One stops paying attention unless they have allergies. Lesson learned!

Anyway, now I have a dilemma. I know myself and my journey well enough to understand that swallowing the bite will not make me order a drink. And if I did swallow the bite I would not consider myself at day 1 of my quest.

But it's the principal of the thing. I can't get to the bathroom without risking running into someone who wants to talk. So I go to the coffee stand grab a cup, and spit it out.

From now on I'll be aware of the double entendres of desserts named for 1980's movies!

Hope everyone's days were less eventful!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't think too much more on it Ultra - you made a mistake and then responded appropriately, as I see it

D
Old 02-05-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Wild Night. I mistakenly tasted alcohol- yet all is good. I'll explain.

I was at an "80's" night company gathering. Wild costumes, 80's music, 80's video games, etc. Open bar, passed 80's drinks, etc.

I stayed for about an hour and decided to have a "Risky Business" (80's Movie) chocolate mini-cake on the way out. I took a bite and something 'popped' in my mouth. I felt a sting of alcohol and went back to the dessert table with the bite still in my mouth. I read the description of the cake: 'Chocalate cake with truffle and brandied cherries'.

This is totally my fault. I assumed that the description would say 'contains gluten' or something. Everything at my meetings has descriptions. Even the fruit says 'gluten free'. One stops paying attention unless they have allergies. Lesson learned!

Anyway, now I have a dilemma. I know myself and my journey well enough to understand that swallowing the bite will not make me order a drink. And if I did swallow the bite I would not consider myself at day 1 of my quest.

But it's the principal of the thing. I can't get to the bathroom without risking running into someone who wants to talk. So I go to the coffee stand grab a cup, and spit it out.

From now on I'll be aware of the double entendres of desserts named for 1980's movies!

Hope everyone's days were less eventful!
Ultra, you are still firmly on track so no worries! The fact that you noticed the foul taste and knew something was wrong proves how innately against alcohol you are and always will be!!
I have had similar situations (with chocolates filled with liquer which I almost ate), but even had I taken a bite I would never consider myself back at day 1 we've come too far. It was an honest mistake.
You are a shining beacon for this team my friend !!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks folks- totally no worries on my end!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a beef hot pot at work when I do a late shift. I have had this once a month forever. Asked for the ingredients this so I could work out the calorie content for my current diet, and it has red wine I the gravy. Doh. I do not class this as my 5 months over, I couldn't taste ie, and was none the wiser. Obviously now I no, my psyche will never let me order it again. It happens, and I'm not fussed about this one. Ive esten 3 since ive been sober 5 months 1 week, without realising. Do you now see me as a failure? Ultra, the coffee cup was a genius call, real proud of you!
Old 02-06-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Funky Friday can I count it off!! Get on up!

Too funny ultra. Funny how free drinking in the bar all night in the past would have been a bit different. That chocolate with a spike would have been eaten without even knowing anything was in it. Now you notice. Well played. Sober muscles buffed a bit.

I about to go make a drink of wheatgrass I will officially name "sober sunrise" here's to ya!

Today's thought;

"Make sure your worst enemy is not living between your own two ears." Laird Hamilton.

Swing for the fence. Every time.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Chris and Glandon, I was very happy to see your posts and to read that you are both doing well. Please keep dropping a line when you have a chance. We all care about every member of the team. BUG HUGS!

Pink, I am very impressed with how you have dealt with one medical issue after another the past few months.

Grateful, we seem to be getting the same weather you get, only a few days later. I have at least 30 inches still on the ground after another 2 or 3 yesterday, and most forecasts are predicting 12 more inches from Sunday to Tuesday. I have had it with snow this year.

Ultra, I have a recipe for a cake with brandied cherries that uses brandy extract or brandy flavoring, not the real thing. But, whether it was real brandy or not, you certainly had a great response. I don't know if I would have thought of the coffee cup; but, that definitely does not count for breaking sobriety. And, it may not have even been the real thing.

1Step, keep it up!

Choobie, how are you feeling?

Determined, another great quote.

Cute, how are you doing? EE??

Have a wonderful day everyone. Keep on keeping on!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pink, I think were all aligned on the fact that intention is a key factor in breaking our sobriety.

Even had I swallowed the bite I wouldn't be beating myself up, nor revising my sober date, nor ordering a drink (or grabbing one from one of the many servers walking around with trays full of them!).

It was just a 'principal' thing for me. You mentioned your psyche won't let you order the dish again. Same idea: we don't drink so once we realize something has alcohol in it, we make adjustments.

It's wild to see how I (and all of us- regardless of a "number") have, and continue to evolve.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feeling better-thanks Scooter! My son keeps bringing new bugs home from school for me to try out.

So happy to hear from everyone! Keep posting, please!

Gotta run-

This morning I am grateful for:
having found the peace of sobriety
being ill and realizing how great I do feel everyday now that I'm sober
a full night of sleep
a clear way out of every temptation
Making a fort with my son after work instead of pouring a drink
ample opportunities to help my family and community

See ya later!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yey - new thread! I am out and about with work but will check in a little later - all is good :-)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So there are a tremendous amount of really hung over folks this morning. Swaying, avoiding eye contact, copious liquids, comments about how they didn't eat enough, ect.

Glad to be on the other side (even if it means choosing to pass on the Risky Business cake!).
Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
So there are a tremendous amount of really hung over folks this morning. Swaying, avoiding eye contact, copious liquids, comments about how they didn't eat enough, ect.

Glad to be on the other side (even if it means choosing to pass on the Risky Business cake!).
I LOVE "the morning after" as a sober person. I really noticed it on New Year's Day! I was so chipper and awake and fresh and everyone around me was so hung over and dragging (and some even started drinking Mimosas to "get over" the hangover! -- what a vicious cycle it is so liberating to be FREE from that prison!).
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ultra - I had the same thing over Xmas when someone brought in some home made mince pies, I started to feel lightheaded thinking "hang on, this is lift off, I remember this" asked and the person laughed and said that yes she may have gone abit overboard on the brandy - yeh, cheers love - very funny...
Old 02-06-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi team. A quick check in. Been out of pocket lately as I'm attempting to cross the finish line on my move. Plan is to sign closing papers next Fri and hit the road Sat like the Clampets with wife, two dogs, a loaded truck and trailered motorcycle. Then it's a 3-4 day wait on the movers. Got a futon, a TV, a few linens and kitchenware while we wait (very collegiate).

Attempted to bring the bike back last weekend by loading into a uhaul. Almost a very Johnny Knoxville moment. Bike is in one piece but I came out with a sprained knee. Never, ever, ever consider riding your motorcycle into the back of a uhaul. Even if I'd given thought to ground clearance past the lip of the ramp, momentum and traction are also mission critical. Suffice it to say all these things did not work in my favor. Plenty of youtube videos demonstrating likely outcomes far worse than mine. I got lucky. Very lucky.

So no real visits from the AV that I can tell. I'm a little emo but I think that's just due to the craziness of being in temporary accommodations for a month and a half and being banged up from my dumb ass attempt. Right then, catch you later team. I'll probably check in this weekend as I try to rest and mend.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey all

Hope everyone is doing good.

I had a relaxed evening last night - six nations rugby and a film.

I am aouth and about in London today doing AA this morning and another this afternoon. I have been doing 2 Saturday meetings for the last six months but after this week going to just attend the morning one. I have AA at two weekly meetings then, but can step up again anytime :-)

Hoping everyone has a great sober Saturday. Still doesn't get boring a sober wake up. I do need my Starbucks today though
Old 02-07-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Shining star Saturday! Clear mind and rise and shine. Nothing beats it!

So, someone said to me yesterday when I said I don't plan on drinking again. Ever. I got the, seriously I don't understand why you just can't have a few socially. You weren't that bad, you just take everything to the extreme. Even this sober thing. I even got the, I like the drinking determined better.

This pissed me off, from a supposed friend. You would think you would get a wow, six months, that is incredible. But instead, the connotation was I was ridiculous and socially awkward. This sent my AV on a full on attack. I doubted the straight edge choice, glamorized the good times and thought about moderation, that misnomer of misnomers.

I realized that this person must be jealous or not truly care for my best interest or both.

I love my choice. I am freaking proud of it. I think that people like us who actually beat the devil and are proud of it can be intimidating on a few levels. We look much deeper into eyes now. We comprehend and think quicker. We are physically stronger. We look better. We laugh louder. We love deeper. And if you should challenge us, we will eat you for breakfast.

My resolve is stronger now because of this exchange yesterday. I will never again bang my head on the gate to happiness, screaming to be let in. I have the key. I opened the gate. I walked into the sun. And then I shut it behind me.

"If you can take it, you can make it." Louis Zamperini.

Freedom.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Determined your post actually just sent shivers down my spine. Amazing attitude, love you so bloody much for that! Xx
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks pink! You just made my morning. Truly did.