Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 43

Old 02-07-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I think you are doing amazingly well. We are our own worst critics and I know I'm having a hard time letting go of perfectionism, too.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months sober, Saskia!

Gilmer - You are helpful and supportive, and we all appreciate the way we can count on you. It's ok FOR YOU to count on other people for the things that you are struggling with. I used to think that my challenges didn't "qualify" seeking support. For me, reaching out for support in recovery has separated this attempt at sobriety from other attempts in the past. Failed attempts.

I judge myself a whole lot less harshly now - and I find that by extension I am much gentler on other people, too. Cracking open my heart and spilling out the contents for everyone to see was scary, but has made my life better in numerous ways. By opening up, by making myself vulnerable, by admitting I needed help, and by asking for it, I've become even more open to helping others.

When you're struggling, try not to isolate yourself. The deep recesses of my mind, where the insecurities linger, is one of the places where alcoholism thrives. You have the wonderful support network on SR to lean on. Please do!

BoozeFree - I'm so glad to hear that you were able to unwind with your friends.

Having fun hanging out with friends sounds like such a simple thing, but it hasn't been easy for me. My friends, who are normies, drink, and I just couldn't deal being around alcohol for many months. I was too raw to be around all but my closest friends. It's so nice, now, to have laughter, joking around, and camaraderie in my toolbox! Last night I was the DD for a night out with some of my normie girlfriends. I enjoyed spending time with them and was genuinely happy to be able to shuttle them safely home.

Carlos - I'm digging your concept of the Universe at your higher power. I thought this was well said: "Without the collective knowledge and experiences of the people that have passed before me in recovery, or life in general, my Universe would be empty." In addiction my life had become a one woman show. Recovery definitely taught me how to open it back up to the world around me and like you, my life is richer for it.

Van - I hope you're feeling some peace.

Babs - How are you doing today?

Be well Undies!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 Saskia!

Old 02-07-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I was really scared that I wouldn't make it to this point! I am so grateful for all of the support and wisdom on these SR threads.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sask, I've been out all day and a ton to do now that I'm home. I wanted to congratulate you on a half of a year sober, Undie buddy.

I really appreciate your insight and commitment sobriety and a broader based all encompassing recovery. I look forward to many more congrats together on this amazing path of freedom that we have chosen.

Carlos
Old 02-07-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

I'd like to become a part of the club.

Just looking for some friends and some support. I can't say I have much of that in my life right now.

I'm sure having some will be a valuable tool in my recovery.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
(((Gilmer)))! Please come here as much as you want to and need to! We are all ready to walk with you through this challenging time. You can only do what you can do and whatever you can do is enough.

Drake, love the rubber duckie :-)

Well, I finally reached 6 months today :-). I'm especially grateful for all of the support I've gotten here on SR. It has made an enormous difference in my life!
Saskia!!!! 6 months. Fantastic!!!!1
Old 02-07-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Virileagitur View Post
I'd like to become a part of the club.

Just looking for some friends and some support. I can't say I have much of that in my life right now.

I'm sure having some will be a valuable tool in my recovery.
Hi, viril; welcome.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Hi, viril; welcome.
Thanks SoberLeigh. I hope I can contribute in some way to the club!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

(((((Dear Gilmer)))). More prayers for you and your Dad.

Hope you get more rest tonight.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome VA

D
Old 02-07-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome VA

D
Thanks Dee.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Welcome, VA! I've found this to be a supportive and helpful group. This isn't an easy journey for many of us but it is so worthwhile.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
''A day at a time..''

@Saskia

Thanks for welcoming me. Not an easy journey at all but definitely the right path.

Also, congratulations on making 6 months!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Virlie welcome!

GF I still don't feel comfortable around people drinking. I've only been hanging out with sober people.

Tonight my sis has all her friends over partying. I think they are going to the bars later and then I will be free of all of that. I might just drive around or something for a bit until then if I get tempted to drink tho
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

BF, I'm not very comfortable around people who are drinking either. I've done a bit more of it recently and i'm managing though I would be happier if nobody drank!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome VA! I am a "Pop Over" or "Over Undie" as we are called. I have nearly two years sober but hang around here because I love the folks here. I got sober mostly through the help of SR and the support I received.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Viril: Welcome and sure you will have much to add.

Gilmer You are a shining light and even under the duress in regards to your fathers health you provide much needed encouragement here.

Saskia Congrats on 6 months that is huge

Boozefree Thanks for your ongoing support thanks to you and Carlos and Dee also

Am going to buy a punching bag so as I can beat the living crap out of it.....at one point in my life was very serious in regards to martial arts.......might be useful to tap into some of that again.....I had achieved a black belt in a certain style by the age of 20, then the booze and drugs took me down.....

might help with those nasty mood swings

thanks you guys and hope the coming week brings some joy for you all.

Sir Vander of Mast
Old 02-08-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words, Vandermast! I bet the punching bag or martial arts would be an excellent idea! Especially the martial arts, because getting slowly back up to speed would be a challenge you know you could attain!

Welcome, VA! I'm an over/undie, too, but I have a very fond attachment to this thread because this was the main thread I frequented when I was getting sober. It took me three attempts, so this was the glue that held me together. I got a lot of support here coping with a lot of heavy stuff while I was getting sober--and, as you can see, I still am getting vital support. I encourage you to vent and seek help here whenever you're in need.

Things with my dad were really bad yesterday--his shoulder really hurt, and he can't raise his arm above his shoulder. Because of his bad kidneys, he can't take OTC pain medicine, so he had to settle for an analgesic gel. A nurse came to visit; she examined him and said there was nothing broken and it was nothing super-urgent--and she encouraged me to use some of the morphine he had been sent home with. I gave it to him before bed, and I will give it to him as soon as he wakes up. It's just enough to kill the pain--not enough to make him dopey (or make him itch! :-D).

He was really out of it yesterday; then he had a nap in the afternoon, combed his hair, and was much more lucid and energetic around dinnertime. He greeted my husband, who had come home from his trip, and we had a good dinner.

I will take him to the doctor Monday.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Van, emotions in the early days of recovery are extremely difficult to deal with, we are used to shutting them down with alcohol ( or whatever drug of choice we used) so now in recovery not only do we have to cope with the upsurge of emotions, but we also have to cope with the frustration of not being able to use alcohol. I think a punch bag is a great idea, martial arts even better
A great way to work at controlling the emotional upheaval. It does get easier, further down the road I promise.

Greetings VA I am another Undie Graduate who likes to come and interfere regularly!

Gilmer sending hugs your way

Sass I sent you congrats on 'our' thread but again, I am so happy for you to reach this milestone.

Glee, I feel fine being around drinkers now, but occasionally I wished I were still able to chose to drink. Then I think, well I wouldn't be enjoying myself, I would just be focussing on getting as much booze down y neck as humanly possible and thinking I was enjoying myself. There was always an edge of desperation to my enjoyment at the end. As if I had to prove that I could only have fun with a drink. I was wrong. So very very wrong!

BeFree you do whatever you need to hun x

Carlos, love what you pick up from AA.

Much love Undies, remember one day at a time