Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 43

Old 02-22-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
What was absolutely key for me was 'finally once and for all, never, ever to go back' realizing and accepting that I could not drink just one or ever successfully moderate and that alcohol had nothing of value to offer me.

I agree with trachs; rum is rum wherever you go. It's nothing special (and neither is the rest of the stuff).
Spot on, SoberLeigh. TY

This type of thinking's gotten me through in the past... just have to keep reminding myself more often.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Welcome NewLeaf! Congratulations on deciding to make positive changes in your life. This thread is a great place to get support on that journey. My husband has drank alcoholically every step of the way of my journey and has lamented my progress. We socialize with drinkers. Drinking is not an inevitability because you live with people who drink.

Grace - I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing. You've been amazingly dedicated his care, and are every bit as sweet and special yourself as you describe him to be. It sounds like he's at peace now, and I hope you soon will be too.

BoozeFree lost a dear friend to alcoholism a few months ago. I have a friend in the hospital with kidney and liver failure due to alcoholism. A woman who Toots and Saskia correspond with lost her battle to alcoholism last week. And now Carlos lost a friend. It underscores just how deadly alcoholism is.

Carlos - The legacy of recovery that Wanda gave you is powerful. I'm so grateful you finally broke the ice and talked to her that night, and shared her epiphany in SE. It has been life changing for me and I know it will continue to light your path as you move forward in your recovery.

Tomorrow will be One Year sober for me. I'm humbled by the gifts of recovery that you all have shared with me on this journey. The advice, insight, experience, strength and hope of the Undies and Febbie 14s have changed my life.

Last year at this time I was a thin-shelled exterior brimming with disappointment and bubbling over with anger; you held my hand as I blazed through the fog of the first year of recovery. I feel strong and confident in my opinions and capabilities. I feel peace and serenity where I was once empty and wanting. I have spiritual fullness that I never knew I was seeking. I'm kinder and gentler, and so much happier.

I'm happy that the journey doesn't end at one year. Some days are still gray but now I know I can accept the gray, and find peace and happiness.

Thanks Undies!!
Old 02-22-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Last year at this time I was a thin-shelled exterior brimming with disappointment and bubbling over with anger; you held my hand as I blazed through the fog of the first year of recovery. I feel strong and confident in my opinions and capabilities. I feel peace and serenity where I was once empty and wanting. I have spiritual fullness that I never knew I was seeking. I'm kinder and gentler, and so much happier.

I'm happy that the journey doesn't end at one year. Some days are still gray but now I know I can accept the gray, and find peace and happiness.
Simply beautiful. All of it.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

(((Carlos))), I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your special friend. I think most of us are aware that the end point of alcoholism is death but knowing that and being hit upside the head with it when it happens to a friend ... I think it rocks our world.

Glee, it's amazing to see how far you have progressed in your thinking just in the few months since I've joined the Undies. You sound much more clear and strong and I so much appreciate your honesty and helpful posts. . I'll save the congrats for tomorrow!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
Simply beautiful. All of it.

Yes, just like glee.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Carlos.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Sorry I've posted so much today. Don't mean to hog the thread, but it helps me big time especially early on.

My husband's on his second Martini, and my Brother-in-Law just left after having one of the home-brewed stoudts. I am having camomile tea with honey and just wolfed down some cheese, crackers, and summer sausage.

Want to read some posts here now, but husband wants to converse (with drink in hand).

Plan to be back later...
Old 02-22-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Carlos.

D
Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
^^^^^

This is my biggest stumbling block, for sure. The funny thing is that I've made a TON of improvement these last few years in spite of this. I've learned that I can't change them... just myself.

When I do come out on the other side, I figure I'll be stronger for it.

Tang!
In a sense we're surrounded by drinkers though...whether we have them in our house or not, we have to learn to live with them cos they are eveywhere.

I think focusing on the positives of sobriety really helped me.
I love who I am and I love my life sober.

I prefer this way

D
Old 02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

My oldest son, the former alcoholic, needs prayer right now. He just arrived at his hotel for a business trip, and there's alcohol everywhere, and people are pushing it on him. He asked for some prayer so that he would remain strong and resist it. If those who pray would join me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
My oldest son, the former alcoholic, needs prayer right now. He just arrived at his hotel for a business trip, and there's alcohol everywhere, and people are pushing it on him. He asked for some prayer so that he would remain strong and resist it. If those who pray would join me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Will do, Gilmer. Glad he has you to talk to.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Gilmer, will do!
Old 02-22-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Absolutely, Gilmer.

Your son is a wise man to ask for prayer.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for your son Gilmer.

D
Old 02-22-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Thank you all.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hitting the sack, now.

I feel really good about choosing to do this NOW rather than waiting until after our upcoming trip. You've all been a tremendous source of inspiration.

Thank you.

NL
Old 02-22-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Goodnight, NewLeaf.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Gilmer - I said a prayer for your boy. I'm sorry he's struggling tonight.

NL - I can relate to your aggravation at being pulled in by your husband as he's casually drinking. It's hard to ignore the drink while paying attention to the drinker. I struggled with being hyper aware of the drinkers around me when I stopped. It took a while before I enjoyed sobriety more than I missed drinking. My sober experience improved and became richer when it became about recovery rather than only avoiding drinking. Sleep tight tonight and stay sober again tomorrow, for one more day.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Gilmer - I said a prayer for your boy. I'm sorry he's struggling tonight.

NL - I can relate to your aggravation at being pulled in by your husband as he's casually drinking. It's hard to ignore the drink while paying attention to the drinker. I struggled with being hyper aware of the drinkers around me when I stopped. It took a while before I enjoyed sobriety more than I missed drinking. My sober experience improved and became richer when it became about recovery rather than only avoiding drinking. Sleep tight tonight and stay sober again tomorrow, for one more day.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Prayers said for your son, Gilmer.

Thanks for the sweet messages about Wanda. Just sad...out of words

Up late doing some things and I realized that the clock has struck past midnight...soooo:

Yes, GLEE is one full year clean and sober and the most amazing example seeking physical, emotional and spiritual recovery in the face of many people. places and things that are still active. I will post more tomorrow...just tired and exhausted now but I am glad I stayed awake to at least get the first official post posted...see, I'm tired....night, Undhttp://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26326&stc=1&d=14246725 61ies

haha, look what I found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41lkWA35hHL._SX425_.jpg (33.8 KB, 34 views)