Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 5

Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really think the worst thing we can do is resign ourselves to drinking.

even setting one day aside for drinking, or 'drinking for the festive season', indicates that you still think you have some kinda control over your addiction and you can consciously turn it on and off, and that's just not true.

You can't do this with 50 % effort. I really believe it takes all we have.

If you're back in the same old place, ask why.
Think about what you could do differently.

If something is a regular trigger, think of ways you can work on that.
If FB is a trigger, don't use it for a while.

If you don't have a plan - make one.
If you don't know where to start ask.

You can drift along for years - I did...it's a dreadfully lonely horrible existence.
I want better for all you guys
you don't need to ride the elevator all the way down like I did - you can choose to get off at any floor

D
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I won't drink tonight.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
So, here is the conversation my AV had with me when it was nearing time to leave my volunteer work this afternoon:

"You still have three hours until your husband gets home. How about we stop at the grocery store--you ran out of ice cream last night, right?--and buy one of those four-packs of tiny wine bottles. You can hide them in your office, just drink one, clean and put away the crystal wine glass (cause I'm a classy drunk :P), and hide the empty bottle in the bottle of the recycling bin before he gets home. And stop this silly nonsense about confessing on SR. No one will ever know."

Then I started thinking about feeling hungover the next morning, and resisted the urge. I was tired and hungry at the time. Came straight home and had something to eat. Still sober, yay! I think I'll go get some ice cream and plant myself in front of the TV for a while.
Well done Groundhog X
Old 12-16-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I won't drink tonight.
Me neither.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
you don't need to ride the elevator all the way down like I did - you can choose to get off at any floor

D
Love this, Dee!

I am back on the saddle today and have been trying pretty hard and trying something different, going to AA meetings and I even confessed and apologized to alot of my facebook friends about my drinking and that most of my posts were made while drinking. Most of the friends didn't know I was under the influence when I posted and some even said "I think you're hilarious" which kind of egged me on a bit and saw that as a greenlight to keep drinking.
I don't think I'm close to all the way down the elevator, despite the drinking my life has been pretty good over the last few months and it's odd. It's actually a little boring without the drama and despair I became so used to.
Glad to be back and reading these wonderful posts! Thanks for being here.

P.S. I just heard this song the other day and it's become my anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGuC8BrOoaA
Old 12-16-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Apple and TX - I won't drink today either. I'm a little upset that I slipped, but glad that I stopped, acknowledged it and made the decision not to let it build up as I have done in the past. When my sponsor drops by this afternoon after work (he's pretty good, this guy) I will confess my slip and ask for help. He has a week off work from Saturday and is willing to take me out to do sober things in the day, and be available to talk anytime.

Feeling very hopeful, people! Let's acknowledge our mistakes and keep moving forward.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Day 3. Busy at work, all day of meetings and no urge to drink. Hello to everyone.
Just one quick point....when I drank on Saturday I was very down that I lost my 28 days. I immediately came back to SR and went back off it. 3 days later the positivity is back and the journey towards permanent sobriety continues. I know that a few of us have drank in this last week. Please, get back off it immediately and redouble your efforts, learn your lesson and be stronger. Catch you later....
Old 12-16-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Morning class day day 36 now. Still feeling strong but have heard Av whispering away occasionally but not for long I just say yeah right and it goes, it seems very weak just now. I think it's been due to the stress and being kept so busy but I'm aware that I'm going to have to be extra vigilant once things (hopefully) calm done a bit.
I've been on here a couple of years now and had been trying to stop for a few before that so I've had a million day ones but I've just kept at it and feel so much stronger than before. I've really changed my attitude to it now, before I was so scared that I would/could never stop and that this addiction was going to beat me and completely ruin my life, everytime I had a new day 1 it compounded my feelings loathing and failure and it terrified me. I don't know what happened really but I think due to getting some decent time of sobriety under my belt (some 90 and 100 days) it showed me that I could stop, also I just got p****d off at it and decided that I would would beat this and I would stay sober and it wasn't going to ruin my life, I guess I grew some balls lol. Anyway this seems to be working fantastically well for me and I'm really looking forward to getting through Xmas and New Year without one single drink, I'm taking it on as a personal challenge that I'm not going to lose! Just thought I'd put that out there to try to help, if you are struggling maybe try to have a wee look at your attitude, maybe a little change in that could help (worth a try anyway. Peace X
Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
Wish I could help u above but I gave in today

Got work this evening and I've just upset my family. What can I say? I just gave up 48 days for a quarter of vodka! There is no excuse even how. Much I would say it was the Facebook post on dog meat and how they was treated. I should of not went to the shop and used the help I have.

So will be day 1 again tomorrow

Sry everyone
Erratic, I'm sorry I know how you feel. I had a few glasses of wine last night and am dragging myself out of bed to workout. Don't beat yourself up, as I told UBN a few days ago your record over the last 49 days is still 49-1 which is pretty good.
Just get right back at it. I know I need to. Absolutely don't do what I did and just let it go, I let all the good feelings go after Thanksgiving and have let my AV over power my sober voice. If I had gotten right back at it I would have been alright but as it is I'll need to the strength of 10 grinches + 2 to get it back.
Post later today, since it is day 1 for me as well, we can all start over!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

TX and Erratic - just remember your sober days don't disappear. You still own those. Chin up and hop back on. It's a sucky feeling. But drinking anymore only makes the feelings worse.

ANewDay you need to check in too, I think, unless I missed you!

It's *only* Tuesday, team. I'm having a really, really bad day. What is with this week?!
I agree...I was sick on Monday, with my daughter who is still sick (strep throat and Flu - she was better yesterday but still on antibiotics ) Tough day at work yesterday and then I had wine last night. I'm getting back on track today, I just don't feel that good, guessing the wine didn't help...I'm going to get a workout in maybe that will motivate me and make me feel better.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really think the worst thing we can do is resign ourselves to drinking.

even setting one day aside for drinking, or 'drinking for the festive season', indicates that you still think you have some kinda control over your addiction and you can consciously turn it on and off, and that's just not true.

You can't do this with 50 % effort. I really believe it takes all we have.

If you're back in the same old place, ask why.
Think about what you could do differently.

If something is a regular trigger, think of ways you can work on that.
If FB is a trigger, don't use it for a while.

If you don't have a plan - make one.
If you don't know where to start ask.

You can drift along for years - I did...it's a dreadfully lonely horrible existence.
I want better for all you guys

D
Thanks Dee I needed this. I'm getting off the elevator today.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I won't drink tonight.
Neither will I.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's support. I'm just frustrated, as I'm sure you all understand.

But today is a good sober wake up and I'll make it a sober day.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Well I am going to be sober today. Hope everyone is ok?

Huggles
Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I'm here too. Checking in.

Yesterday at work was crappy and went home and had an argument with my college age daughter who is making stupid (but typical) boy decisions. I am here at work, very tired from lack of sleep, but today is a new day.

Was lying in bed last night, upset that so many in the class are having a hard time. Time to double down, don't give up. Holiday AV is going to try to get you (guaranteed!), put everything you've got into fighting back.

So, are we all in for no drinking today?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good morning! Drinking coffee. Not sure what I am going to do with myself today. I might bake a pie.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I think this is the hardest time of year to quit, but a time when we all take stock of our lives, goals, etc... as the new year approaches. So, lots of new members, lots trying to quit, but lots of relapses as well. It is an emotional time and a tiring time for many too. The holidays get so overblown.

Fatigue, for some reason, seems a huge trigger for me.

I had my hair done yesterday, and I recall feeling uncomfortable in the sink, my neck. Well, this morning, my neck is so stiff and sore, into my shoulder. Ugh. Took some advil and hope it eases up. I have lots to do around the house but not happening until this feels better.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in...there seem to be a lot of us who need to make a plan, or find a better one. I'm right there with you. Work has been very busy, which I like, but at the end of the day I want to tune out the world and have some wine. That's a huge problem because I half-ass my parenting responsibilities.

I have a lot of emails and notes to catch up on, but only one meeting, so I plan to telework most of the day. Our grocery stores sell beer and wine, so I won't invent a reason to go to the store. Most of the year, the alcohol stays in its own department, but not around the holidays! There are "feature displays" everywhere. Even so, when I'm committed to staying sober I'm not tempted. It's when I allow myself to listen to the whispers of my AV that I think, "ah, what the hell."

I won't drink today.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning. Start of day 1.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by he19me View Post
Good morning. Start of day 1.
Welcome back he19