Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 5

Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hi tiredofme, one thing I've discovered about myself is that I tend to borrow trouble from the future. Also, I tend to roll things over and over in my mind and it grows like a snowball and I overreact to a mental 'monster' of my own making. I hope you don't do that all week with your plans for Saturday. It's absolutely not your problem that your friend doesn't want to drink alone. Period. The one that needs to be pleased with the outcome of the evening is you my friend....and it seems that drinking should be off your agenda to accomplish that.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Thank you fromadistance you are so right and I do worry about things I don't need too. Seeing your reply puts it in perspective why should I feel guilty because I don't want to drink.

Venus I just ordered orphan black hope it's as good as it seems :-)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Great advice Fromadistance.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Good morning. I am so glad I didn't drink yesterday!

Sparkos I'm glad you made it through the alcohol aisle again. I've driven past a few liquor stores lately and haveggies hissed. I also find myself saying small prayer for the people in the shop.

Tiredofme maybe a good excuse not to drink would be good for the weekend? A small white lie that you are on medication or something?

Ironwoman I can't imagine running for 8 hours! Wow! 8 minutes and I'd be ready for a break!

I hope we all have a fabulous Monday!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Monday Monday. I'm working my now, p/t job today, and it's pretty ugly today. It is very strange not to have anything that's gonna drag on me with this because apparently it dragged quite a bit.
Start new job tomorrow !!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Briar, just read your thread on "newcomers" with Endgame and others' input. I'm so glad I did.

I'd encourage others read it too. Such insight!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hello Friends. Today makes 53 straight sober days for me.

Pretty soon i'll be into new ground...The best I've accomplished in the prior couple of attempts is 54 days.

Just needed to post out some *thoughts* that have been creeping over me in the past week or so.

The insidious thought that i deserve a reward for all this hard work and effort..Which of course my mind can TWIST and TURN into a reason for picking up a drink.

It's NOT going to happen. I much prefer this style of life. The physical/mental/emotional STABILITY that is slowly returning.

But i cannot deny the thoughts/ideas have been creeping back in the past week or so.

Just needed to post that out. I'm glad to be here today and sober.

I look forward to getting my 2 month chip in a week's time.

Have a safe and sober day my friends.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Sparkos - thanks for reading that thread. It was humbling for me to put a chunk of my emotional immaturity out that and hear it called what it is, but that's exactly what I needed, and will no doubt need again. Probably lots of times, I've got plenty of stuff about me I don't like and want to improve.

Wasn't that scene from Revolver absolutely amazing?! If you guys haven't seen it, I'll post the link here as well (credit to bcboy for posting it originally): Revolver Elevator Scene - Jake vs Jake - YouTube

And nice work approaching the wine isle prepared. Having a plan (and actually executing it) makes all the difference.

V - sounds like you need to smile more! I hope everything goes well today. Praying for you.

CG - I know how complicated it can be to get to meetings when you work and have a kid. I only attend one meeting per week, and I would like more, but without my husband around in the evenings and no one to watch my daughter, it just doesn't work. The meetings I attend don't have childcare, and I'm really not going to bring my kid. We are a pretty open and emotional bunch, and I want everyone to have the freedom to cry and swear and tell gory stories if they want to, myself included.

FAD - great advice to TOM. It's so easy to borrow problems from the future that may not even exist. Working on that myself. I have the holiday week off too, trying to make sure I don't have too much free time, though. Sleeping in is a sweet luxury I remember fondly...not happening so much with a three year old running the house!

TOM - I agree entirely with FAD. Just worry about you. Sounds like your friend might have some issues to deal with. Not your problem.

CC - I was struck by your praying for others in the shop. That made me think...when I'm in the liquor isle, I look at the other people there and feel jealous because I assume they are all normal and I'm the only one there with a problem. You reminded me never to assume things I don't know. Lots of those people might have problems just like me. They may be worse off, actually. Even if not, they're probably cruising for a hangover anyway, and that deserves a prayer in and of itself!

JL - good luck with your new job tomorrow. I hope this will be a new, positive chapter in your life.

FTW - good to hear from you, congrats on 53 days! Don't reward yourself with a hangover and embarrassment. That's not very rewarding.

I'm feeling improved today mentally and physically. Not all the way, but definitely better. My daughter and I made oatmeal raisin cookies, and they turned out great. I've cooked for years, but I only just started baking after I had my daughter (baking is sort of a mom requirement, I gather). Baking is harder than cooking for me. I generally view recipes more as suggestions, but baking is a science. I can't be measuring things with my hand. When they say a teaspoon, they mean precisely a teaspoon. And turns out baking powder is more important than it sounds, unless you like muffin bricks.

I need to clean my house. After a couple weeks of disease and depression, aided by my kid who is the most destructive force in the universe, my house is in such a state it probably qualifies for federal funding.

Last night my kid made an interesting sculpture which, since I'm feeling literal, I will call "An entire roll of scotch tape plus the contents of the hole punch tray and a lot of cat hair." It's lovely. This morning she found the other roll of scotch tape and fixed up the living room like the laser maze from Mission Impossible. My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to clean this place up.

It's a quarter to 11 on the morning of a day off work, and in the past I would be half drunk by now. It's nice to have the freedom to do whatever I want today, including stuff that requires driving. I hope everyone has a good day, night, whatever it is.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

You sound to be in great humour Briar. So good to "hear" that in your posts following your recent battles.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Last night my kid made an interesting sculpture which, since I'm feeling literal, I will call "An entire roll of scotch tape plus the contents of the hole punch tray and a lot of cat hair." It's lovely. This morning she found the other roll of scotch tape and fixed up the living room like the laser maze from Mission Impossible. My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to clean this place up.
Yes, I need to smile more....(I have a lot on my plate). But this ^^^ will do it.....

30 days!!!! Yey!

I am reading all of your posts, but I am so tired today that I'm not going to be much use response-wise.

Love to all the awesome Octsobers,

V xx
Old 11-24-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Venuscat, you do have a full plate. I hope you feel better soon. What is it, about close to ten Tuesday morning there? I almost said can you turn in early, but that may be a bit much!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to all who are celebrating milestones

I hope we hear from a few more Octsobers too

D
Old 11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Good morning fromadistance, and Dee....

Hope you have recovered a little form the gig on Sunday Dee; was it fun?
You have probably said already, sorry.

Yes, it's just before 10 am here, but bed sounds really good right now.
I will have a nap soon.

I am hoping we hear from fantail and Stevie...and our other missing Octsobers.

Have a great night/day/morning all. ♥♥

Love V xx
Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hey guys!

I haven't checked into this thread before. I'm dicky and pleased to meet you all!

Today marks 1 month for me, I hope everyone is doing well. How many days is everyone on?

Dicky
Old 11-24-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hello DickySix!

on one month sober!!! That's fantastic.

30 days here...

Love Venus xx
Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was fun V but not really my scene - probably won't do it again as I have other bands I play with I enjoy more...

feeling back to normal today - thanks

Welcome to the thread again Dicky

D
Old 11-24-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Speaking of rewarding oneself, I have 28 days. Got myself a little something special to celebrate:

These look better on me than a whole lot of s***face.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-24-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: See post 363 :)
Old 11-24-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Checking in. Going a bit crazy getting ready for the holiday and some baking for the teachers at the school as well. Travelling on wednesday and will be away for the Thanksgiving. It will be challenging. But I am preparing mentally for it.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Welcome Dicky, glad to have you aboard!

My sobriety date was October 1, so getting pretty close to 2 months and feeling good the majority of the time. I look forward to seeing your contributions to the group and offering support when you need it. Again, welcome...
Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Sending you good vibes phoebe, and lots of love.
Pace yourself girl!!

28 days Briar...I must be losing it. I thought it was more than that.
I can't click on your link...I found a massive amount of malware on my PC last night, so I'm being careful atm. What did you buy yourself?

V xx