Notices

Class of September 2014 part 3

Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi everyone...just finished reading the posts I've missed, but there are too many to reply to directly.
I haven't been here because I've been depressed. Overwhelmed? Both I think. I feel a little paralyzed, because there are a lot of things that require my attention NOW, and I really need to plan for later.
I kinda hate life right now, but I'm still not drinking.
I'm reading a book called The Nerdist Way, which is kind of an interesting take on a self-help book. I need to put these plans in some kind of order, because I feel stuck.
I binge watched Wife Swap on the weekend. That kinda sums up where I'm at.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone just checking in. Had a super weekend stayed real busy and real sober!!! Loving life right now (day 26)
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Avice View Post
Hi everyone...just finished reading the posts I've missed, but there are too many to reply to directly.
I haven't been here because I've been depressed. Overwhelmed? Both I think. I feel a little paralyzed, because there are a lot of things that require my attention NOW, and I really need to plan for later.
I'm reading a book called The Nerdist Way, which is kind of an interesting take on a self-help book. I need to put these plans in some kind of order, because I feel stuck.
Not knowing the extent of your depression, I think a lot of us have been there. Do what you have to do, and take it easy on yourself for the rest of the "stuff". I'm glad you are still sober, give yourself a lot of credit for that! I look at all the stuff I worry about, and none of it would really matter if I went back to drinking because I would probably lose it all eventually.

I almost never watch TV, but have found myself recently sitting down for the news, watching old Breaking Bad episodes, stuff like that. I really enjoyed Lost when it was on TV. I've been thinking about finding some fiction to read that can grab my attention and provide a little escape; I really haven't read any non-fiction in years. I really enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The Harry Potter books were o.k., the da Vinci code just kind of annoyed me. I either get completely sucked in, or I walk away at the first chapter.

Anyways, I hope you feel better, and don't be afraid of a little escapism. We all probably need a healthy dose of it.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Flew to California on business.

God did I have the ritual down once -- (1) couple of beers in the airport bar, (2) couple of little wines on the plane, (3) couple of drinks in the hotel bar on arrival, (4) nightcap in the room.

What did I do on this trip? (1) actually ate food in the bar, (2) Bloody Mary mix on the plane [not bad!], (3) ginger ale and some darn good sashimi in the hotel bar, and (4) went to sleep in the room.

And this morning? I actually STRAIGHTENED UP MY ROOM. NEVER done that before always just left a mess everywhere. It's like I noticed my surroundings for the first time in years and actually did something about it. Or had energy to do something about it.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Avice- so sorry your dealing with that! Hang in there!

Nmd- try game of thrones

Day 29- didn't sleep well last night. Nightmares... Dreary day here.. Going to chill and make soup later.

Let's finish September sober!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingInTexas View Post
Flew to California on business. God did I have the ritual down once -- (1) couple of beers in the airport bar, (2) couple of little wines on the plane, (3) couple of drinks in the hotel bar on arrival, (4) nightcap in the room. What did I do on this trip? (1) actually ate food in the bar, (2) Bloody Mary mix on the plane [not bad!], (3) ginger ale and some darn good sashimi in the hotel bar, and (4) went to sleep in the room. And this morning? I actually STRAIGHTENED UP MY ROOM. NEVER done that before always just left a mess everywhere. It's like I noticed my surroundings for the first time in years and actually did something about it. Or had energy to do something about it.
Good to hear. I serve those little wines on the plane..

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-29-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 3 nearly over-craving nightmare! Virtually locked myself in the house yesterday and going to bed now early tonight to try to switch off my brain. I can see why it's called white knuckling at the beginning. Thank you all for letting me read your lists as it helps me loads in the ups and downs to stay determined-we can get clean and sober x
Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I guess Im doing fine besides the chainsmoking and zero motivation to go to the gym, the cravings are less intense now. Day 28.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have been on SR before, had great success, then recently fell off the wagon. I thought, like so many of us, that after nearly two years that I could moderate. I have literally only been drinking for a month again, but it has been CRAZY. I am not mad at myself, I am disappointed. I do not forget the nearly two years I had sober, but I did have a major relapse and have realized that I would be categorized as a "binge drinker." I always kind of knew that, because I can take a drink or leave it, but when I have one I am unable to stop until I have had quite a few. Today is day #10 for me, and I would like to start this group and start over again, regardless of the two years. I know many of my triggers. This was simply a matter of, "After two years SURELY I can moderate now." Wrong. Dead wrong. This last month has been a blur. I am glad to be back on here and would love feedback from other binge drinkers. I am hoping this time it is it, because I have realized that even two years is not enough for this disease. I have to remove the possibility of ever drinking again. The last 10 days have not been too tough, but that month I found it just impossible to stay away. My sober date is September 20th (the first day that I was finally sober again. Last time I drank was September 19th. I do not have blackouts, just a lot of regret in the mornings………Thanks for having me!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've decided that I will never drink again.

It's that simple. Damn, it really is that simple!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

8 days... here is hoping for another 3 in sept, and 31 more in october...
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I haven't posted much in the last 2 weeks. But I am still not drinking & finding it quite easy to be honest.

After headaches on day 4 & 5, a bit of adjustments with diet & cravings until 10 days. now it just seems easy.

29 days now and rolling safely into month 2 shortly.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonNorth View Post
I haven't posted much in the last 2 weeks. But I am still not drinking & finding it quite easy to be honest.

After headaches on day 4 or 5, a bit of adjustments with diet & cravings until 10 days. now it just seems easy.

29 days now and rolling safely into month 2 shortly.
I can relate. I had horrible head aches from day 2-6 1/2... then they simply went away... good stuff.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone hitting milestones today - and a big cheer for everyone who made it through the weekend

glad you feel better Safe, but sorry you feel down avice. Do you think you need to see a Dr or will you bounce back on your own?

So great to hear things are going well Jason, I think that presents its own challenges tho - it'd be really easy to think that maybe you don't have a problem after all..Been there done that...be careful

welcome back Leemzer

D
Old 09-29-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Seeker of Enlightenment

Almost "graduation day"! Day 22.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avice View Post
So sorry, Avice! I have struggled with depression my whole life. For me it's gotten better since being sober, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I have no great advice except the old saying that "This, too, shall pass." I usually have to ride it out since nothing really makes me feel better (not even reality TV

Depression is when I'm most tempted to drink. So congratulations on staying sober through it. If nothing else, that is a great achievement for the day. Thinking of you (as I'm sure everyone else is too!)
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks for the supportive words, guys. Dee, I don't need to see a Dr. What I have is something called 'situational depression'.

Here's where I want to be:
I'll be an ecommerce maven (I have 10 years in web design experience and an idea), I'll have my own office, I'll write and record music, I'll do volunteer work, I'll be in great shape, and I'll have friends and possibly a romantic relationship.

Here's where I am now.
On social assistance which has just been cut to $50 less than my rent. Picking up cash wherever I can, because I can't earn too much before my upcoming bankruptcy trial. I couldn't pay my bankruptcy trustee, so now they're opposing my discharge. My dental bonding chipped again the other night - front teeth...not sure if I can afford to fix them. A black spot has showed up in my vision and I'm not sure if I can afford an ophthalmologist. I spend all day alone. I'm not ready for a romantic relationship. I know the steps I need to take to get where I want to be, but I'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts and I'm always tired. My current place is a sublet until April 1 and all of my stuff is in storage in another city. I feel the clock ticking constantly.

It's been 20 years of drinking for me...I have no idea how long it'll take for my brain to bounce back. Neil Gaiman sounds like a good idea, nmd. I like that guy.

I don't want to sound like a huge complainer, but this is what I'm dealing with, and that is what you call situational depression, my friends. Didn't drink though - that's worth something.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 2- work was exhausting, but had a productive day. Just going to take it one day at a time.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hang in their Avice - things will get better.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Avice- that's worth a ton. Stay strong!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me