Notices

Class of September 2014 part 3

Old 09-30-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
nmd

Avice, that's a full plate. There is only so much you can do in a day, but having rent more than is coming in is a tough one. We're here for you for support even if only in spirit, I hope things straighten out soon.

Alynn- I've heard those are good books and I don't have HBO, so I haven't watched the program yet. Good idea.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'm on Day 13. I feel pretty OK with not drinking, but I'm eating like it's my job. That has to stop, considering that one of my main motivators for quitting drinking was losing weight! I'm also still really tired. Yesterday I was home from work with a sick child, so I was able to take a nap with him...it was awesome. He's home again today, so I may be able to get some rest in before my husband relieves me at 1. Have a great day, everyone!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Starting day 10... I have fly by anxiety. But with prayer I am able to handle it and not let it control me. I have been staying with my mom, which has been providing me with a great amount of support. No cravings here but I am noticing that I feel less bad about those bad nights or my drinking when I get "got so drunk last night" texts and calls from my friends. I have been here before so it doesn't bother my sobriety as much now that I have pointed it out as a somewhat trigger.... But i definitely don't trust the long term effect of hearing it.... Suggestions? How do I combat this... I have a reputation as being dramatic (which I totally accept hahaha) but I don't want my sobriety to be another "overdramatic" thing my friends take lightly.... I would much rather keep it to myself. I am very much in protection mode when it comes to
my sobriety.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

For those looking to binge watch some shows, I really liked Outlander (Starz). House of Cards is awesome, too.

Josharon--I was eating a TON this weekend. I wonder if it's because I wasn't drinking, so I literally filled the void with tasty vittles. Before, I would purposely not eat so I could get drunk and "enjoy my buzz."

I worked another 15 hr shift yesterday and, boy, was it ever a Monday in the most Mondayish sense! Kind of a stressful day and had a very difficult patient I had to deal with a few weeks prior come back and slander me to a referring doc's office. *sigh* aside from the detail that we were once in the same room, 98% of the rest of the account was false.

:-/

It feels as if you can perform flawlessly with your patients, and all of that is erased by one complaint. It sucks!

Thankfully, I didn't/couldn't descend into an alcoholic haze over it, because I still had half my shift to go and by the time I was done, all I wanted to do was sleep.

Let's hope we end September on a high note!! Day 9 today
Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJM824 View Post
Starting day 10... I have fly by anxiety. But with prayer I am able to handle it and not let it control me. I have been staying with my mom, which has been providing me with a great amount of support. No cravings here but I am noticing that I feel less bad about those bad nights or my drinking when I get "got so drunk last night" texts and calls from my friends. I have been here before so it doesn't bother my sobriety as much now that I have pointed it out as a somewhat trigger.... But i definitely don't trust the long term effect of hearing it.... Suggestions? How do I combat this... I have a reputation as being dramatic (which I totally accept hahaha) but I don't want my sobriety to be another "overdramatic" thing my friends take lightly.... I would much rather keep it to myself. I am very much in protection mode when it comes to
my sobriety.

Are you saying you feel less bad about your friends ribbing you over the drunken escapade?

And because you feel less bad, you're more likely to drink again?

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet Comprehension skills are at a premium this early!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

@briseis

I feel less bad about my behavior. I never get teased about it because I don't really drink much so my friends take it as "she has a low tolerance". I feel pretty strongly about my sobriety at this point so I don't feel that it makes me more likely to drink. But I'm not interested in seeing the long term effect it could have on my stance against drinking. Just trying to be proactive....
Old 09-30-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 18

Josharon--"eating like it's my job"--ha, ha! Me, too!

I've decided to just let myself eat what I want for the first few weeks. This is hard because I want to lose weight, too, but I figure for now my goal is to stay sober, and if that means eating a bag of candy instead of drinking a box of wine, so be it I remember from last time that I didn't GAIN anything from overeating, and my body looked better (especially my face; who knew I had cheekbones?) although I didn't lose on the scale. That was at 6 weeks, so I hope this time to get the weight off eventually. I have to be patient because that is a definite trigger for me ("why don't I just drink since I'm not losing weight anyway?") Thanks for your comment. I know a lot of us here would like to shed some of that booze fat, but it will take time.

EJM--good to be protective of your sobriety. I don't have any advice, though, since that's never happened to me.

Briseis--it's exactly the same with teaching. You can get fifty students who enjoy or even love the class and then one student who hates you for some reason and will write a scathing evaluation. Not as bad as your situation, but it still stings (and of course that's the only evaluation I will remember). That's great that you didn't drink over it.

Avice, your situation sounds terrible. I hope you can find a way out. Being sober and clear-headed has to help in problem solving, at least.

Have a good sober day. Taking my husband to the airport for a conference today, so will be alone tonight. I'm kind of looking forward to it. I need a little space sometimes. And now I'm not afraid of drunk FBing (he always stopped me when I started doing that) or going to a bar or worse, as has happened in the past when he was gone.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJM824 View Post
@briseis

I feel less bad about my behavior. I never get teased about it because I don't really drink much so my friends take it as "she has a low tolerance". I feel pretty strongly about my sobriety at this point so I don't feel that it makes me more likely to drink. But I'm not interested in seeing the long term effect it could have on my stance against drinking. Just trying to be proactive....

I get what you're saying; your friends minimize your behavior and you begin to feel less upset by your previous episodes. You're worried your resolve may be weakened long-term--I agree that is a major concern.

I think all of us are worried about that casual lapse in judgement, for sure. I haven't gotten to that point where I don't feel the sting if shame when I think of my drinking, but maybe it might help you to replay in your mind the reasons why you wanted to quit in the first place? Like an affirmation?

Possibly distancing yourself from these friends for a bit may be helpful, too.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Safeandsound, I can imagine teaching is just like that!! Both occupations come with large amounts of stress, for sure.

It feels as though you give so much of yourself and are always operating at such a high level of awareness, that to be served such a sh*t sandwich in the middle of the day seems like such a defeating slap in the face.

But I'm sure it happens to is all, and you're right: the negative responses are always more memorable than the positive outcomes.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Safeandsound, thank you for commisserating. I'm terrified to step on the scale, because based on the way my clothes fit (or don't), I know I've gained. I'm hoping that when (if?) my energy returns, I'll be able to actually use my fancy gym membership.

RE: drunk Facebooking, thankfully I didn't do much of that (went to bed instead). Now, my mom (who is also an alcoholic) is the queen! Unfortunately, she likes to friend MY friends and post things that are either nonsensical or inappropriate...sigh. A favorite of hers is "just sayin," whether it makes sense or not.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm joining this group. My date is 9/29. I went to my first AA meeting in awhile last night. Good luck everyone
Old 09-30-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I'm joining this group. My date is 9/29. I went to my first AA meeting in awhile last night. Good luck everyone
Welcome! We're happy to have you here.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just wanted to wish you all a great day. I'm on day 2 of antabuse today, feeling good.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Finished the day's business on first sober out-of-town trip. These observations:

Politely turned down invite to watch the Pats in the nearby pub. Nobody offended.

Instead I walked around, had awesome Chinese in a little hole-in-the-wall (and actually tasted the food and got out for $10 instead of $30 of overpriced beer) and . . .

stopped in a shady nightclub (and had a couple of Diet Cokes and great laughs with the bartender, and got out for FREE because she liked talking to someone not drunk), and . . .

made my 6:30 AM flight with time to spare and no trace of a headache. Why did I think drinking all night on the road was fun?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome wharf rat!

Day 30! Whew... It's been a roller coaster but I'm happier! Not worrying anymore about what I'm giving up but focused on what I am gaining. Life is much better without alcohol in the picture.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My allotted time to read these boards in the am is almost up (re: coffee almost gone). Time to get this day started!
Gonna clean house and hit the gym for leg day--hope you all have the best sober Tuesday and wrap September up with a bang!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Safeandsound, thank you for commisserating. I'm terrified to step on the scale, because based on the way my clothes fit (or don't), I know I've gained. I'm hoping that when (if?) my energy returns, I'll be able to actually use my fancy gym membership.

RE: drunk Facebooking, thankfully I didn't do much of that (went to bed instead). Now, my mom (who is also an alcoholic) is the queen! Unfortunately, she likes to friend MY friends and post things that are either nonsensical or inappropriate...sigh. A favorite of hers is "just sayin," whether it makes sense or not.
Thanks for the post - just sayin'
Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Congrats and welcome Wharf Rat!

Any correlation to the Grateful Dead?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briseis View Post
My allotted time to read these boards in the am is almost up (re: coffee almost gone). Time to get this day started!
Gonna clean house and hit the gym for leg day--hope you all have the best sober Tuesday and wrap September up with a bang!
Have a nice day Bri....

btw...been to Sandy and Midvale quite a bit...
Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

TryinginTexas...noooooooo! HA!