Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 31

Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

I hope you enjoy your holiday Workoholic. Once I've sorted all my work stuff I'm hoping to get a few days of guaranteed sunshine somewhere!!

Even at 11 months I'm surprised by the times when the intrusive thoughts appear totally unexpectedly. For me, this past weekend it was going for a curry with my brother and realising that before I would always have a pint of Cobra with it. I consciously had to order a diet coke instead. Once I pushed the alcohol thoughts from my mind I realised how much more I was enjoying the food and the experience.

At least if we recognise them as intrusive thoughts we can push them back out again.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

I had another occupational health appointment on Monday which was tough. 3rd different doctor and keep having to repeat what happened with the overdose I took in April. I was mentally exhausted afterwards but fortunately bouncing back quicker each time and talking through with family and friends after these appointments is really helping.

I still have to keep pushing with Occ Health/HR that although I have some history of anxiety/depression that I believe that week was handled very badly by the management involved which contributed to the extremity of the stress reaction. I also have to keep emphasising that I have a history of working in stressful positions (including five years previously with this company), succeeding and delivering to deadline. I am not simply going to gently let them nudge me out the door without getting my points across. To that end I have asked them to put their propositions regarding my return to work formally and I am also preparing a formal grievance in writing. When I spoke to the HR manager a couple of weeks ago she didn't even know the engagement I was working on that particular week so I feel it is time that it was taken a bit more seriously!

What I'm managing to do much better than before is to separate this from my overall recovery. I will do what I need to do with this and then walk away with my head held high. In the meantime I continue to focus on my sobriety, my mental recovery (CBT, support network, exercise, diet etc etc) with a view to moving onwards and upwards with my life
Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

ps. Reached 11 months and 2 days. Who'd have thought?! Certainly not me!!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Yay, Nightswimming!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome! I'm coming up behind you soon!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

~~Food for Thought ~ Humpday Edition~~
~~Losing Is For Losers~~

Welcome to the day that you realize that you are who you say you are and who you say you are has to be followed up with determined action! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to being a winner!

I am about to say the simplest but most profound truth you have ever heard… Ready…. Winning is for winners and losing is for losers! Yup! That’s a fact!! Those who get used to losing DO NOT have what it takes to be a winner! The undeniable fact is that Winners never look at a temporary defeat as a loss, they look at it EXACTLY how it is… #Temporary!!

Trials and tribulations are things that we cannot avoid on our road to success but we must not let that stop us from achieving our goals. Having the will and determination to win are one of the most important aspects of fulfilling our dreams. The going is gonna get tough but with determination and focus, your possibilities are limitless. Be Diligent, be relentless, and be focused, but most importantly, Be Determined!

Its always too early to quit! Losing is for losers and chances are you are not that!! Keep pushing and make ALL of your dreams come true! Because as Ayn Rand once said “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” Remind yourself of this and Take what you deserve!!

~~Healthy Snacks~~

“The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination.” Tommy Lasorda

“The heaviest burden are placed on those who can carry its weight.”-Reggie White

“Don’t pray for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs.”-Unknown

“Failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeed is strong enough.”-Og Mandino

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”Winston Churchill

“There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.”-Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Great job on all fronts, Night. It sounds like you are handling things really well. Proud of you!!

Work, enjoy your vacation! Give us plenty of adjective-laden updates from Madeira. I will use them as mini escapes from my Wisconsin home!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Congratulatios Nightswimming. Almost there to 1 year!! Hang in there on the work issues. You are sounding very grounded about it all.

Have a great vacation Work!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Well done NS ! Both in fighting for your rights and 11 months !! Keep going strong
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Really appreciating all this support

It's been a difficult and upsetting couple of days dealing with this so seriously considering how much longer I want to push things with work. At the end of the day the biggest victory I can have for myself is to get better and move forward positively so have to keep that firmly in the front of my mind as the end goal.

Is pushing against a corporate machine that is never going to say 'guess what, you're right' no matter what happens actually going to be of benefit to me in the long run? My support network are helping keep me focused and realistic which is always good when you're knee deep in something and it can be difficult to keep perspective!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone celebrating their 11 months this month!

Let's all keep adding days
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Congrats to everyone celebrating their 11 months this month!

Let's all keep adding days
I second this!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Administrator

I mustn't have posted after all - congrats NS

D
Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I am just coming out of a tough life-on-life's-terms month. I had to borrow money from my cousin to pay my rent which was stressful because I hate asking for help, but I had no choice. I am grateful to have someone who can help me when I am in need like that. Financial difficulty is REALLY hard for me to deal with and talk about.

I feel like I am out of the woods though, so that is a relief! I am ready to show up for life again. I am learning from these difficult times and am trying to put myself in a position to be able to push through the difficulty and show up anyway when difficult times arise in the future.

Someone said in a meeting yesterday, "I can either sit with my uncomfortability or I can do the work." In my difficult month, I copped out on doing the work that is required for me to progress in my recovery.

Although I try, I can't do this alone, and I am thankful to have a support system in my life which makes it so that I don't have to!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Brooksie, I am glad you are doing better. Be proud for not picking up during your tough month. That, in and of itself, is work!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~
~~Your Problems Are A Gift~~

Welcome to the day that you realize that once you change your perspective everything else around you changes! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to your so called “problems”.

Life is neither easy nor hard! Life is EXACTLY what you make it. Sometimes what may seem like the end of the world or an unsolvable problem is actually a blessing in disguise trying to teach you a valuable lesson. While on your journey to greatness, make sure that you don’t get so caught up in the pity party that you miss the lesson that life’s trying to teach. Life will throw you some obstacles, trials, and tribulations, but in order to be victorious you must always stay focused and never lose sight of your ultimate goal.

“Problems” make us stronger and give us the necessary tools we need to keep on going! So instead of looking at it as having ** problems, instead know that you have ** ways to get better… ** ways to do it right… and ** ways to perfect your craft!! Don’t harp on the negative because what you resist WILL persist!

Learn the lesson that life is trying to teach and keep it moving!! As Anthony Robbins once said “Every problem is a gift – without problems we would not grow.” Keep growing and maximize your full potential!

~~Healthy Snacks~~
“The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.”-Alan Saporta

“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”-Albert Einstein

“Don’t be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.”-Unknown

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.”-Seneca

“Problems are to the mind what exercise is to the muscles, they toughen and make strong”-Norman Vincent Peale

“Life is not a continuum of pleasant choices, but of inevitable problems that call for strength, determination, and hard work”-Indian Proverb

“Problems are only opportunities in work clothes.”-Henry J. Kaise
Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
I am just coming out of a tough life-on-life's-terms month. I had to borrow money from my cousin to pay my rent which was stressful because I hate asking for help, but I had no choice. I am grateful to have someone who can help me when I am in need like that. Financial difficulty is REALLY hard for me to deal with and talk about.

I feel like I am out of the woods though, so that is a relief! I am ready to show up for life again. I am learning from these difficult times and am trying to put myself in a position to be able to push through the difficulty and show up anyway when difficult times arise in the future.

Someone said in a meeting yesterday, "I can either sit with my uncomfortability or I can do the work." In my difficult month, I copped out on doing the work that is required for me to progress in my recovery.

Although I try, I can't do this alone, and I am thankful to have a support system in my life which makes it so that I don't have to!
Hey Br00ksie

I know exactly what you mean by financial insecurity. It gets to me at times as well especially as I am running this start up (i.e., all cost so far). I think that what calms me is to focus on the present and then to take action, step by little step. As well, I am indeed so grateful to be sober otherwise I could never even address the issue ! Well done on pushing through !
Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Well Done Br00ksie and Nightswimming, frustrations can be tough to deal with, financial insecurity is awful. I've explored the little capital Funchal which is well preserved despite catastrophes, pirates and periods of poverty. The main square by the town hall and university had a Fish scale like pattern of white and dark grey stones that I recognised from before. It looked quite alot like the square in Macau, which makes sense, both being portugese colonies. Drove around the island yesterday to see little villages, mountains and cliffs and a foggy highland too!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Fantastic Friday Edition~~
~~Start Living Today 101~~

~Note~
Do you ever feel like life is spinning out of control? That the harder you try to get ahead the more you just barely get by? If so, maybe it's time for you to think about quitting life -- that elusive thing that we chase after and strive for -- and, instead, start living. It can be a difficult distinction to understand, I know, but making the distinction can make all the difference in the world. So if you're tired of suffering through and truly want to live, here are 10 tips to get you started!

~~~~~

1. Recognize that life is what you get when you're born. . .Living is what you do with it!
You can sit back and wait for life to happen to you or you can make it happen yourself. As Maya Angelou once said, "Life likes to be taken by the lapel and told, "I'm with you kid. Let's go!"

2. Define life. . . It leads to the fine life.
Life is not a slogan, no matter what Nike, McDonald's, ABC, NBC, or any other media giant might have you believe. While those "Life is. . ." t-shirts are often witty, the philosophy they propose, like the shirt itself, are rarely "one size fits all." Define life and living on your own terms and you've a better chance of getting both.

3. Make up your own rules.
Many people believe that "life is a game." Maybe so, but most games have rules and clear-cut definitions of winning and losing. We didn't get rule books when we were born, and that leaves us free to make up our own rules about life, living, losing, and winning.

4. Take charge of your life.
Once you've made up your rules you can start taking charge of your life. And when you take charge of your life, as Geoffrey Abert said, "There is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life."

5. Little things mean a lot.
No matter how we live, life throws a lot of little negative things in our way that must be dealt with or else they will greatly diminish how we enjoy our days. Stephen Vincent Benet said it best: "Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways."

6. Employ the power of positive quitting.
Most of us view quitting as a negative thing to do, but it's not. "Winners never quit," we're told. In reality, winners quit all the time by choosing to stop doing things that aren't creating the results they desire.

7. Create your personal quit list.
Examine your life closely and you'll find all sorts of things you do and/or tolerate that hold you back, slow you down, or effect you negatively in some other way. Decide which ones you really want to be rid of and write them down.

8. On your mark, get set, QUIT!
Now start quitting the things you listed. Doing so will immediately create a positive "charge" in your life as you rid yourself of these negatives and create the room in your life for new, more positive experiences.

9. Charge into your future!
As you recreate this positive force in your life, take big, massive leaps into your future. Be imaginative, bold, and brave! The results may surprise you.

10. Use everything.
You are blessed with a particular set of skills and talents that no one else has. Use every skill and talent to live your life as joyfully and abundantly as possible. Leave this life as Erma Bombeck wished to: "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'" ~~Jim M. Allen~~

~~I hope you all have found the value in this post as I have...Start Living Today!!!~~
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope better days are ahead Brooksie

Have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Checking in.

I have had a very wishy-washy summer wrt to my sobriety, so have felt I had nothing to add here. Nothing crazy, but learned once again, that a glass or two does not exixt. I saw my intake climbing to excess just fo feel a little good. It is frightening how much I can drink at times, and still feel ok the next day, if just a little tired. But it is crazy and so unhealthy.

However, I am back on track, and feeling good this week. I had some strong support and encouragelent from a friend here.

I feel very proud of doing something this week. Last night, I conquered significant phobias and anxieties and brought my daughter to a concert at a HUGE venue. A crowd of 50,000. I was 10 steps away from 2 premium beer vendors, and never felt more than a momentary twinge of desire when I saw the mom next to me slowly sip just one. It was more wishing I could enjoy just one like that, not a desire to go get a few of my own.

But the big deal is I really worked hard to prepare mentally for the event, overcome my anxieties, and we had a great time! I could do it again without fear! This is really big, and may only those with phobias or anxiety will appreciate it. At my worst, I was anxious about driving my kids to the local pool. Almost agorophobic in some instances. That was several years ago. So, this was a huge test for me.

What is also good for me, is that I did not go grab a couple of hubby's beers after I got home, wired at 2am. I thought about it. What I did do, was I used a prescribed med, for anxiety, and occasional insomnia. I feel that using my prescribed med, that I only use a few times a month, is very much better than comrpmising my sobriety. Taking a half or one of those, if it helps me is better than descending into a binge of nightly wine for a few weeks. I got 5+ hours of quality sleep and feel great this am.

Now, my next sobriety work, is to focus on the weekend. This is where I typically compromise my sobriety. In the relief after doing something, or accomplishing some work, etc... I get the reward syndrome. So, I am very alert to that temptation for tonight or tomorrow.

But, I have also been exercising more(daily this week) and eating very well, dropped a couple of my vacation pounds and have that as incentive to keep going. I have tried a couple of other groups here, but cannot connect like I have with you all. So, I am coming clean here and sharing so I have accountability and support.

And, I am focusing on gratitude. Rather than get caught up in my fears, yesterday, I reminded myself several times about how very fortunate I am to be able to do such a fun thing for, and with my daughter. Grateful for the financial ability, of course, but for our good health that allows us to do anything, pretty much, our wonderful connection, considering she is almost 15, and that we live in an area where it was possible.

Time to give up the sad song of self pity and focus on this great life before me.