Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 31

Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

It's great to hear from you again UI
I'm impressed and happy to hear that when you noticed that consumption was going up you were able to stop again. You're always welcome here as are all that started with us almost 11 months ago.
How's the WRX?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

UI!!!! So glad to see you again! I remember that your parents were coming for a visit and when you didn't report back I worried about you. I am glad you are ok and are posting with us again. Welcome back!

Work, congratulations on the pending arrival. So exciting!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hello September nice to see you uninvited and grace
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hey UI

Great to hear from you. Keep it up ! Have you thought about other ways of dealing with stressful events ? Stay close !
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you UI

D
Old 07-27-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm sitting in my hotel room in my hometown waiting for dh to wake up, so I thought I'd tell you about the reunion. We're right on the lake, and the fog is so thick this morning that when you look at the lake, it just looks like pure nothingness out there. Kinda creepy!

I am SO glad I don't drink! I admit that it was the hardest day I've had in many months. Praise God for His strength and for the mindset to go into it with a plan. And, a special thank you to GG for being another layer of accountability last night. Both dh and my phones aren't working, which is why I didn't text, but knowing you were there praying for me and having my back made all the difference for me, my friend. Hugs!

It was a small turnout, which I expected. Dh and I spent a lot of time taking walks by the lake when conversation would wane, which was nice. But by the late event, which was dancing in the bar area at the hotel, many of my classmates were totally wasted. One guy, right near the beginning of that part, literally just fell onto his bum right in the middle of the bar and then sat there for a moment. I think he was a bit embarrassed, because his mood changed from wild to much more reserved after that. It was very loud, which made conversing difficult, so I sipped Dt. Coke all night to keep my throat from getting too sore from the yelling. Dh and I decided that since the music was too loud, we must be too old. There was much hugging, which seemed to increase the more the drinks flowed.

There were some really weird interactions between certain people, too. One guy in particular ... I don't even know how to explain it. I wonder if he's abusive to his wife, honestly, after seeing some of the off-color things he said and did.

One kinda cool thing I learned was that, apparently, I have a number of people who openly confess to "following" me and my family on fb because they find us inspiring. That made me feel really good!

And, near the end of the evening I was standing with my hubby chatting with another classmate and her hubby, and she mentioned something about the fact that we were the only sober ones there. We joked about it for a moment, and it came out that she's in recovery, too. So then we bonded all the rest of the evening. She'd had 3 years at one point, and then went back out. Last night was her most recent day 4, and it was so good for both of us to find each other. We promised to stay in touch via fb for encouragement. Neat-o, huh?

There's supposed to be a breakfast gathering at a local restaurant at 10, but I can't imagine many will make it out of bed by then. We'll show up, if anything because this hotel has NO coffee in the room. AAAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!

Love to you all!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Yay, PBC! Such great news! At my reunion a couple months ago we left about an hour after the music got really loud and we joked about being too old for it too.

Very cool about the people who follow you on FB and the recovering friend you connected with, too. Sounds like a huge success. Congratulations!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hurrah for the reunion going well
I have a 15 year reunion for my high school in less than a month. I think turnout will be low.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Glad to hear from you, UI!

Work - congrats on your pending uncle status!!

PBC - glad the reunion went well! It's nice when others' actions affirm the decision to be sober! The quote at the bottom of my posts rings true in terms of being able to discern when I'm enjoying myself and when it's time for me to go!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thank God It's Monday Edition~~
~~Do It Now!!~~

~Note~
Welcome to the start of a great week, and the beginning of the rest of your life! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to procrastination! No scratch that! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to action!

We all have dreams and aspirations, but in order for those dreams to come true, we must wake up and take action! In a world where people spend more time talking about what they’re about to do than actually doing it, It is imperative that we become the difference that takes action NOW!!! Talk is cheap and ideas come as frequent as negative news headlines and celebrity gossip, but the key to turning that idea into profit is to begin making it happen NOW! Tomorrow is too late and someday doesn’t even exist!

Start today, where you stand, to turn all of your dreams into reality! Even if it’s a small step, we HAVE to start!! As Tony Robbins once said “A real decision is measured by the fact that you’ve taken a new action. If there’s no action, you haven’t truly decided.”

Make today the day that you decide to live your dreams without compromise! Stop procrastinating and stop deliberating! If you really want something, you are going to have to take the necessary steps needed in order to attain it! DO IT NOW!! TAKE WHAT YOU DESERVE!! #NothingCanStopYouButYOU

~~Healthy Snacks~~

“An idea not coupled with action will never get any bigger than the brain cell it occupied.”-Arnold Glasow

“The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps – we must step up the stairs.”-Vance Havner

“The best way to get something done is to begin.”-Unknown

“One of these days is none of these days.”-Henri Tubach

“Procrastination is opportunity’s assassin.”-Victor Kiam

“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.”-Pablo Picasso

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”-James Baldwin

“Don’t waste time waiting for inspiration. The great composer does not set to work because he is inspired, but becomes inspired because he is working.”-Ernest Newman

“My mother always told me I wouldn’t amount to anything because I procrastinate. I said, ‘Just wait’.”-Judy Tenuta (Just J/K)
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~Dream Big...Anything Is Possible~~

~Note~
This morning's Mental Meal is an example of exactly what I needed to read and put into practice this morning. I hope you find the value in it as well. Dream Big...because ANYTHING iS POSSIBLE!!!

If there was ever a time to dare,to make a difference,to embark on something worth doing, IT IS NOW. Not for any grand cause, necessarily. . .but for something that tugs at your heart, something that's your inspiration, something that's your dream.

You owe it to yourself to make your days here count. HAVE FUN! DIG DEEP! STRETCH! DREAM BIG!

Know, though, that things worth doing seldom come easy.There will be good days. And there will be bad days. There will be times when you want to turn around, pack it up,and call it quits. Those times tell you that you are pushing yourself, that you are not afraid to learn by trying.

PERSIST.

Because with an idea,determination,and the right tools,you can do great things. Let your instincts,your intellect,and your heart,guide you.

TRUST.

Believe in the incredible power of the human mind. Of doing something that makes a difference. Of working hard. Of laughing and hoping. Of lazy afternoons.Of lasting friends.
Of all the things that will cross your path this year. The start of something new brings the hope of something great,

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Wonderful Wednesday Edition~~
~~ I Choose Well~~

~Note~

Today's word is simple and yet powerful, because it demonstrates the power of choice. Choice is one of the most powerful measures we have as human beings. Choose Well.

~~~~~~~~~

Every morning that I am blessed to open up my eyes and take another breath... I realize I have a choice.

I can choose to wallow in self pity and cry until my eyes bleed..
I can choose to be paralyzed by fear and hide amongst the shadows.
I can choose to blame and have constant regret.
I can choose to be defeated.

Though I constantly struggle, it's my cross to bear..
Though not picture perfect and rocky is my path,
I will keep pressing on with every ounce of my soul and every inch of my being...until God calls me home..

God woke me up today... for a reason.

I choose to go on....
Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hello,
I met up with a good friend I haven't seen since graduating from university 9 years ago. He was passing through on his way home to Norway from a vacation in Poland with his wife and two sons and we met for a chat a McDonalds just off the highway for a chat. It was great to catch up.
Fond memories and a recap of the last 9 years then realising how time flies and how precious friendship is.

As we parted he handed my a can of polish beer (a brand we used to drink) from the trunk of his car. I told him that I don't drink anymore and he said that I should give it to my dad. I accepted it and when I got home I poured it out as my dad also has drinking problems and I didn't want it at home in any case just to be safe.
I've decided that the polish beer belongs in my past of university studies when it was fun and not a problem. Just as I don't feel like doing med school all over again I won't start drinking polish beer either, that was then and this is now, stuff changes.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Work, that was a wise, commendable choice! Nice!

I've been in daily contact with the girl from my reunion who's doing this, too. It's been nice to be able to encourage her! She's on day 4 again today, I believe.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I've had a pretty busy last week so not had a chance to get on here and catch up until this morning.

PBC, I'm glad the reunion went well! A high school reunion without alcohol sounds very difficult so sounds like you did brilliant. I'm glad you met someone else who you could openly talk to about being sober. I'd love to find someone like this at some point to share experiences with. Obviously I've got you guys on here but it would be nice to be able to have a coffee with someone at some point and chat highs, lows etc.

Glasgow is in the midst of Commonwealth Games fever and I'm loving it! The weather held up for the opening ceremony and first couple of days of competition. The temperature even broke 80 degrees which happens on at max about 2/3 days in an average Scottish summer. Normal service has resumed (mid 60s and a bit grey) but that hasn't dampened the mood at all. I was at the athletics at Hampden Park the last two nights and had great seats on the back straight about 10 rows from the front. Perfect position to see Greg Rutherford follow up his olympic long jump gold with Commonwealth gold last night.

I'm loving that the whole celebrations have very little alcohol involved. Alcohol is served but most people happy sitting having soft drinks, tea and coffee so I was happy. On Tuesday night my better half drank 5 beers (over 5/6 hours) which I don't mind apart from the fact that he went up to the toilet at one point and came back with 2 beers and nothing for me! Think he had a headache yesterday morning as he only had 1 beer last night... I was just glad to be fresh headed and able to remember everything that I saw as that would not previously have been a given.

Towards the end of last week I was in Sunderland with my Aunt helping her find a flat to rent as she is moving there from Glasgow in September. Very proud of her. She started doing glass making evening class 3 years ago and has just finished her HND and has decided (at age 61) to up roots for 3 years to do the degree course down in Sunderland. We found a great place for her to stay and I enjoyed a couple of days away . She also inspires me to think that although I'm giving up a career in accounting I could probably do just about anything. Scary but exciting prospect!

The funniest part of the two days was the accents. People from Sunderland, it being right next to Newcastle, speak in a strong Geordie accent. We were speaking in our always easy to understand Glaswegian accents so in spite of both sides of conversations apparently being in English there were times when nobody was understanding one another!!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Ps also got a Spotify account included with my new mobile phone contract and am in new music heaven!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Hey all,
Every other week around this time I get depressed about my finances. But my sponsor has me writing about what makes me want to isolate when I'm in an isolating mood. I did that for the first time last night and it actually made me feel better! I'm supposed to call 3 sober women a day and just didn't feel like talking to anyone (no food in my house beyond frozen veggies and money until tomorrow makes me want to isolate), but a sober friend called me and it totally picked up my mood.

I am starting to see that calling people helps, not only when I call but it makes them call me.

I have been working out more consistently and feeling great about where I'm headed in terms of my fitness so at least there's that!

I have a friend coming in town next week followed by my mom who I haven't seen in almost a year (since I got sober) so I'm excited and also nervous and stressed! The state of my apartment is deplorable, but starting today am going to take it one room at a time!

Nightswimming, the games sound like a lot of fun! Glad you're enjoying yourself and the weather! Also, spotify rocks!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

It sure does Brooksie From a fellow isolator I feel your difficulties. Sometimes it is just 'safer' to be alone. I love the company of others but there are times when just being myself is what I want and I need a kick on the backside to get out of it. Working out has been a great way at getting me out of the house too and I always find when I come back from a run I'm much more likely to text or pick up the phone. Hope the visits from your friend and mom go well. I'm sure they will!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by workoholic View Post
Hello,
I've decided that the polish beer belongs in my past of university studies when it was fun and not a problem. Just as I don't feel like doing med school all over again I won't start drinking polish beer either, that was then and this is now, stuff changes.
That was then and this is now, you choose not to relive the past...because that is exactly what it is....THE PAST!!! Powerful Work and so wise of you.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
Hi Everyone,

Very proud of her. She started doing glass making evening class 3 years ago and has just finished her HND and has decided (at age 61) to up roots for 3 years to do the degree course down in Sunderland.

She also inspires me to think that although I'm giving up a career in accounting I could probably do just about anything. Scary but exciting prospect!
That is so inspiring NS, they say that is never to late to be what we choose to be and age is truly just a number. It is never the years in our lives, but the lives in our years. Very inspiring and congrats to your Aunt on chasing her passion.