Class of May 2014 Part 4

Old 06-05-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dreams are dreams anewpage. I hope your waking hours today are good

D
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had some of those dreams too and I woke up feeling scared that I might have drank. The dreams are scary because they fell like real life but I am glad they are only dreams.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Sorry to hear you're struggling Toddle, just remember that alcohol can only make the situation worse.

Congratulations Recoveringmay that's a big milestone.

Decided to go out and play pool and watch football last night. I was tempted but only until I realised that the pressure I felt on me to drink was far greater than my desire to drink, and then it was easy not to. And the pressure I felt was entirely of my own making, my buddy didn't say a word when I asked for soda!

Glad you got on OK, Supersonic, but as others have said, take care!

Originally Posted by GwenCummings View Post
We can do this Minion!

Well done recoveringMay. A month is a big deal.

Supersonic... is there some other way to do the things you enjoy that don't involve going to a pub? Sounds like an unnecessary risk to me. Grabbing the rattlesnake by the tail instead of running the hell away! Good luck.

Well done everybody. 24 days for me today. :-)

I need to start really working on some sort of program soon. I just read a book called High Sobriety by Alice King. A wealthy and successful wine journalist who spiralled downwards. She's a good writer, It's an inspiring read. She is very posh though.
24 days is fantastic, Gwen, well done!

I think there was an article about Alice King in one of our British newspapers, the Daily Mail, a few years back. I remember reading a story about a wine journalist or critic who fell into alcoholism, anyway, I must Google and see if it was the same woman. Quite a story if I remember rightly.

Originally Posted by anewpage View Post
Had an alcohol/anxiety dream last night. In it, I walked into a room full of my entire family drinking wine. And I immediately got out my phone and tried calling several people from AA and no one was picking up! I was so annoyed at the fact that everyone was drinking wine and I couldn't. I could even smell it.
So now I've woken up with a craving for it, even though I'm definitely not going to have any. Stupid dreams!
anewpage, I had an alcohol dream two nights ago. In the dream I was checking into a hotel, and the receptionist was taking for ever to get me checked in and then insisted on giving me a guided tour of the hotel! All the while I was desperate to get out to an off-licence to buy wine to drink in my hotel room! Strange dream. Thankfully it didn't make me crave wine.

Hmmm, I tried to multi-quote others but it didn't let me, hang on.....
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toddle118 View Post
Im not doing very well

I think I leaned too much on bf, when things are OK dont feel the need to drink, now I have to find a reason not to...Is horrible
Aw, toddle, ((hugs)). I know that feeling of relying on other people or things to make me feel better. Not sure I have any advice at the minute as I'm probably still working on that myself. Know that I'm rooting for you, though.

Originally Posted by RecoveringMay View Post
Hi everyone. 1 month for me today, the longest time in my adult life not drinking. Feeling quiet proud.
Well done, RecoveringMay, great achievement!

Well, I'm on Day 7 here and feeling pretty good. I don't think I'll run today as I've done so the last two days, think I'll give the legs a rest today!

Hope everyone is well, hello to those I didn't quote!

The support here is awesome, thanks everyone.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 10--made it into double digit days, go me.

I'm really enjoying my early morning walks around my neighborhood. So far this week I haven't taken the same route twice. Today I went down to Jefferson Park, which has a great view of downtown Richmond. Maybe it's not the New York skyline, but it's my home and I found it beautiful.

Wishing everyone strength and peace. WE CAN DO EET!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm craving quite a lot today. Hopefully it will pass soon. :/
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 10. Its a lovely day, I'm catching up on many chores I had put off for months and it's feeling good to have a tidy house. I made up a whole list of things to do, chores, gardening, and crafty projects, so I'm staying busy. I have to say that has been a big part of ignoring my AV and helping myself to focus on the future. Setting my sights on the healthy me that waits has done more for me than even going to AA.

Never lose hope, keep going, it will be worth the struggle.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hello anewpage. I had a funny day yesterday where I tried to talk myself out of sobriety but today feels OK. I just have a nagging feeling that all is not well. I am going to a meeting tonight as I am getting a lot out of that.
Were you an all day drinker? Is the craving the same throughout the day or does it get worse at certain times?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anewpage View Post
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm craving quite a lot today. Hopefully it will pass soon. :/
Try to stay busy! Sweet stuff helps too. My husband goes for gummy bears (a bag a night lately) and I go for honeyed tea and chocolate. Something sugary either way will ebb the physical cravings. And for the AV, you have to smack that jerk and tell it "DOWN BOY!!"

Good luck Anewpage, I know its hard but it will be worth the struggle.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just checking in.

Keep your chin up anew. My AV has been giving me fits today too. I've realized over the past few days, though, that the thing it hates the most is me posting on here.

Be well, all.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

@Anew-- just a suggestion...see a doc there are meds to curb the craving
Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Guys.....I caved.

I was doing well this week, was all full of confidence earlier on.

Something hit me earlier which I think made me give in.....I'm lonely. I'm OK on weekends when my partner is around, but when he is working I am really lonely. I have friends around but they are busy, and I'm in a situation at the moment that makes it hard to get out and volunteer or something, which is something I have done in the past and would do again. I don't want to say too much about my situation on an open forum, but that's the way it is at the moment. I am waiting to start university in the autumn, which will be great, but until then I have a bit of time to fill.....

I love my running, I love reading, I have hobbies.....but sometimes they are just not enough to keep that buzzing out of my head.

Oh well, that was 6 days there. I have had much longer in the past sober, 6 days is a poor show really.

I think I fell victim to the old 'oh I'm not that bad' thinking. Aaaargh!

Sometimes I really don't think I'll ever entirely beat this. Logically I know I am happier sober (proven it to myself time again, and drinking doesn't go with the running, fitness-loving me), but every so often I just need.....a break from reality is the only way I can describe it.

Oh well, am off to delete my quit date of 30th May from my signature....*sigh*
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GwenCummings View Post
Hello anewpage. I had a funny day yesterday where I tried to talk myself out of sobriety but today feels OK. I just have a nagging feeling that all is not well. I am going to a meeting tonight as I am getting a lot out of that.
Were you an all day drinker? Is the craving the same throughout the day or does it get worse at certain times?
Yep, I was an all day, every day drinker. The cravings come and go depending on my mood - usually if I'm bored, hungry or upset/angry about something. But today it's just there for no particular reason except that I had a dream last night about wine and I so clearly remember the smell of it.
My AV has been whispering things to me like, you don't really need sobriety. You never got in much trouble with alcohol, not compared with other people, anyway. You're European - you're supposed to drink! etc.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vanduara View Post
Sometimes I really don't think I'll ever entirely beat this. Logically I know I am happier sober (proven it to myself time again, and drinking doesn't go with the running, fitness-loving me), but every so often I just need.....a break from reality is the only way I can describe it.
Don't beat yourself up too much, Van. Get back on that wagon and start over again. Good job posting here about it.
I quoted the above because that is exactly how I feel, too. Sigh.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks, anewpage. That means a lot.

To everyone: what is the protocol now that I've messed up? Can I keep posting on this thread or do I have to move to the Class of June? I'd love to stay here as I feel I've got to 'know' you all.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I only have 3 days sobriety myself, Vanduara, which means my sober date is June 2nd, but I've stuck to the May class anyway. SInce May is when I committed to trying to get sober.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Vanduara,

Keep your head up and climb back on. Keep pushing forward. Have to keep trying.

I don't think there is a protocol. Post where you want to post. Just post!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys, I will stay here then.

I've already become fond of you all, in a cyber kind of way. ((hugs))

Your support means a lot, thanks again.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

For everyone who has slip-ups, try not to let your reaction be to feel guilty and down on yourself, instead think on the positive of how many good and sober days you achieved! Hopefully you got enough of a taste of sobriety that it's desirable to get up and try again.

I'm closing in on 1 month sober (on 6/11). Counting all drugs, alcohol and tobacco, that's something that hasn't happened since I was 13 years old. 25 years (quarter century, wow).
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

left aa meeting without talkin to anyone at end.
i feel bad. but will meet again next week.