Notices

Class of May 2014 Part 4

Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I still post with September as well as here. I just got to know all of them so well, but then, when I restarted, I also needed a busier group. Things slow down over time, as people drop away and as others are successfully sober. I find value in getting to know people, and people knowing me. So, i say post where you feel comfortable.

Sorry for your slip V. Back to it, right? I get similar thoughts as well. "I only drank evenings, never missed work, never had trouble, most people would not even guess, etc...." But my liver knows. Truth.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yestofreedom View Post
left aa meeting without talkin to anyone at end.
i feel bad. but will meet again next week.
yestofreedom ((hugs)) I know that feeling of being in a group and wanting to connect but finding it hard to do so. We're all rooting for you here, anyway.

Cabhar and rochele, thanks for your support and kind words, they mean a lot.

Cabhar, I like your thinking about being positive about the days sober I did get. I am inclined to think that way myself, progress not perfection etc.....my problem is that the people around me don't see it that way. They take quite a hard line and expect me just to be able to stop just like that, with no understanding of how I feel. I'm talking in particular about my partner and my mother. I get resentful sometimes and feel that a bit of understanding wouldn't go amiss.....then I hate myself for thinking like that when I realise that I have put them through worry and that they as normies (or complete non-drinker in my mother's case) just don't get it.

*sigh*

ETA: sorry, Cahabr, I spelt your name wrong! I'm Scottish and was subconsciously making it into Scottish Gaelic.....Cabhar looks like a Gaelic word with the bh in the middle. I don't even speak the Gaelic but we have it on signs and on TV here in Scotland so one does absorb at least a little of it.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Please stay here Vanduara. You have already taught me something with the lovely close attention to each person who posts.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I had a very interesting AA meeting. It is the sincerity of the people that is amazing. A lovely guy told me that in recovery terms I am a toddler. If I stick around for many years and follow the programme I might make it to university but I will never graduate! It really made me laugh. That's what I love the most at the moment. The laughter.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GwenCummings View Post
Please stay here Vanduara. You have already taught me something with the lovely close attention to each person who posts.
Aw, Gwen, thank you. You have brought tears to my eyes, that was lovely of you to say that. xxxxx

ETA: Gwen, I googled Alice King, who wrote High Sobriety, and sure enough she is the same woman I remembered reading about a few years ago....indeed the article is dated 2008, I didn't think it was so long since I had read it.

What a story it is. A sobering (pardon the pun) reminder of what alcohol can do... And she must have been so blinded to it because it was her career.....

Here's the article for anyone interested, hope it's OK to post this here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...alcoholic.html
Old 06-05-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vanduara View Post

ETA: sorry, Cahabr, I spelt your name wrong! I'm Scottish and was subconsciously making it into Scottish Gaelic.....Cabhar looks like a Gaelic word with the bh in the middle. I don't even speak the Gaelic but we have it on signs and on TV here in Scotland so one does absorb at least a little of it.
Sorry to quote myself, but I just googled the word Cabhar and it seems to mean 'hawk' or 'old bird' in Scottish Gaelic. Just out of interest.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vanduara View Post
Sorry to quote myself, but I just googled the word Cabhar and it seems to mean 'hawk' or 'old bird' in Scottish Gaelic. Just out of interest.
I made up the name Cahabr based on the first 2 characters in my kids names Maybe Cabhar would have been more appropriate.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am so happy you are staying with us Vanduara. Anewpage, hang in there and push it out of your mind.

I'm doing ok today but not real motivated. I want that me back from the old days - before I robbed myself of normalcy and energy with my drinking. Feeling like a slug.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Here's some inspiration for all:
7 Things I Learned From 1 Year Without Alcohol | The Mind Unleashed
Old 06-05-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you for kind comments, xx
Old 06-05-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Glad you've decided to stay in this class Van, from a fellow Celt your presence here is valued.

Day 21 here, had an ok day, took my eldest daughter to school and picked her up, did some gardening in between, had my tea at my ex's which went well. Walked to a nearby AA meeting afterwards and for a fleeting moment- the sun was shining and my head thought of being in a nightclub feeling good with a drink, it soon passed but it did disturb me.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vanduara;4697394
Here's the article for anyone interested, hope it's OK to post this here:

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-516935/I-successful-wine-writer--alcoholic.html
I was a successful wine writer... but then became an alcoholic | Mail Online[/url]
Vanduara that was a great read. I will look for her book.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecoveringMay View Post
Hi everyone. 1 month for me today, the longest time in my adult life not drinking. Feeling quiet proud.
Wooo hooo recoveringmay...so proud of u! Keep it up, you have been so encouraging to me... shooting for the same on Saturday. Today was so much better than yesterday...AV is at bay and although I have a little anxiety, i think it is just the girlie hormones ...not that the guys here need to know that...lol, but it sure doesn't help right now. Sorry guys, but ladies does this make any sense to you?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Van- family is family...you are here an therefore family. Dust yourself off, know that we support you and who the heck are we to judge you, as we are all in this battle together and when one of us falls, the rest of us lift that person up and give them hope to get up and go on...none of us are perfect by any shot, so here u are an here you should stay knowing we care!

So glad to see everyone hanging in no matter what level that is.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Another great day coming to a close I love when the sun is bright and shining at 8pm
Old 06-05-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I am on day 17....any advice?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi strongerthanit - welcome

I also advise folks to look at two main areas - support and change.

Find as much support as you can - and use it when you need it....and make any changes in your life that are necessary for you to stay sober.

If that means not going to parties doe a while, do that...if it means looking at other ways to beat stress or boredom or whatever...do that...

Here are some tips on dealing with cravings:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

and keep posting here - there's a ton of support here

D
Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Welcome stronger..wtg on 17... definitely find ways to keep busy, find support here and also wihhin your home circle... changing old habits and finding new normals is key. Don't listentto your head when it tells you that you can handle just one, cause one turns into ugly! Allow yourself to feel the good, the bad and the ugly and with all of them reach out especially the bad and ugly. We r all in the same boat living one day and sometimes minutes at a time. Glad u are here!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Minion09 View Post
.AV is at bay and although I have a little anxiety, i think it is just the girlie hormones ...not that the guys here need to know that...lol, but it sure doesn't help right now. Sorry guys, but ladies does this make any sense to you?
Funny you should mention that I've been very unstable emotionally the last few days, from teary to rage and back several times a day. Was a bit worried but got my period yesterday and realised was probably pmt. I've been emotionally numb through drinking for so long that I forgot all about pmt! Was kind of relieved that I had a good hormonal reason for being a psycho!! :-)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of caution Gwen and Vanduara, you're absolutely right to point this out and I appreciate it. I had even promised myself in an earlier post that I would put myself in such situations. I'll try to be more careful, I think my AV played some part in putting me there.

Van, sorry to hear of your slip. Most of us have been there. While you can't change yesterday, you can choose to stay sober today so stick with us.

A mini milestone today; 2 weeks.