Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 30

Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Thursday Edition~
~Practice Makes Permanent~

~Note~
It has been said that; "He who bleeds more in practice, bleeds less in battle" So hence is the prelude to Today's Word....Practice!!Practice!!Practice!!

~The Meal~
Welcome to the day that you throwback the notion that you have to be perfect and realize that doing your absolute best is all that really matters! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to practice!

They often say that practice makes perfect but unless you are super human, God, or all of the above then perfection shouldn’t really be your aim! The biggest mistake one can ever make is fearing that they will make a mistake! Never give up your right to screw up once in a while because it is in the screw ups that you learn valuable lessons on how to be successful!

Practice does on the other-hand make permanent…. Meaning that the more you practice your craft, the more you will create the permanent habit of being effective and great at what you do! Living a great life is solely about giving it your best shot! It is imperative that you put into practice the ideals that will take your life to the next level….. Doing so will allow you to take your rightful place in the world and live the life that you deserve!

Your thoughts, Your actions, and how you react to what seems to be adversity will all determine your life! Practice being Great! Practice living Abundant! Practice being the new you!!! and Practice living your best possible life!-Ash’Cash

~Healthy Snacks~

“The thought you have now shapes your experience of the next moment. Practice shaping the moment.”-Tom Barrett

“Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts.”-William Hazlitt

“Use your gifts faithfully, and they shall be enlarged; practice what you know, and you shall attain to higher knowledge”-Matthew Arnold

“Knowledge that is not put into practice is like food that is not digested.”-Sri Sathya Sai ****

“We have all the light we need, we just need to put it in practice.”-Albert Pike

“Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means to your greatness.”-Martha Graham

“Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.”-Mary Tyler Moore

“Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.”-William Arthur Ward
Old 05-15-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

1step and fixfishy, you have have all my support!
Hope the depression and anxiety improves Nightswimming, I know what it's like to suffer that mental pain.
Berlin has been fun and I've been to 3 aa meetings this week as well!
Hope to make it to another one when I get home on saturday.

How are the rest of you doing?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Hey guys,
Checking in: I'm emerging from my cave and feeling much better. My sponsor and I FINALLY parted ways and I think I know who I am going to ask to sponsor me.

I have been going to meetings again and spoke at a meeting tonight. I had made the commitment a while ago and wanted to honor it. It went really well! I have been feeling a lot more social. I'm calling people more and have plans this weekend.

My baby sister left NYC which was sad and my dad came with me to my home group meeting on Monday which was cool. I was glad he got a glimpse of my recovery. Also, he needed a meeting!

On another note, a friend and his partner who have a production company sent me (a pretty rough first draft of) a script to read and asked for my feedback. We set a date to discuss what I thought, which was today.

The feedback kind of turned into a pitch (in terms of how I could make it better) and at the end of the call, one of the guys told me the production budget that he had in mind and asked me to name a figure for payment to rework the script for the next 6 weeks.

I had NO CLUE what amount to give him. I sheepishly had to admit that I had never been paid to work on any script other than my own. He gave me until Wednesday to give him a number.

I have some REALLY good ideas for the script and I know I can make it good. This will be my first opportunity to get a writing credit and also get PAID FOR MY WORK! I'm super excited, but also nervous.

I emailed my cousin and called someone else to get feedback. It seems too soon for me to be getting representation, but maybe not? She asked for more details and the friend who I called named a number that seems way too much, but I dunno!

I don't want to be taken advantage of, but I also don't want to demand too much. I can make this really good, and the script is one of the most important aspects of a movie! Within an hour of our conversation I had come up with an alternate (better) ending, 3 essential new characters, and a really good plot twist.

I'm glad I have some time to do more research on payment and think it over.

I am tired and will catch up on posts tomorrow! Hugs to everyone!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You need to work on support for sure - find some people who give good advice.

But you need to make some lifestyle changes too, I think - maybe you should leave the dates to one side for a while?

D
^^^^^^^
I agree with this.

I heard in the rooms once: "relationships are like miracle-gro for our character defects"

It gets lonely, but we get to work on ourselves. I am learning so much about myself because I am all that I have to focus on.

Not to say that there aren't others in my life, but by putting myself and my sobriety first in situations, I notice that I handle things and process things much differently now than I did when I wasn't focused on taking care of myself.

Just keep coming back, 1step! I have faith in you!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to have you back here too Brooksie

D
Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Sad to say that Oz is right up there
If I had to live in cold-ass Russia under Putin I'd be dranking too!

Europe doesn't surprise me, but deeyam, South Africa! I guess they get down over there! (I had a tasteless joke about South Africa that I shall keep to myself.)

I must admit, I thought the US would be darker!

Did anyone notice how much darker S Korea is than N Korea?

Does Freedom = Alcoholism?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Ok so I'm about halfway caught up on posts and going to bed forreal now.

Love you all!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suspect Totalitarianism = less reliable figures Brooksie?

D
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

sleep well

D
Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I suspect Totalitarianism = less reliable figures Brooksie?

D
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks 1Step. Sounds like you're giving this fight all you've got. Rooting for you.

Thanks as well Workaholic. Sounds like Berlin's been a great break. You're getting me in the mood for a trip!

My appointment went well yesterday and I spoke to HR at my work in the afternoon so was a bit of a tiring day but glad to have done those things. Will fill you in on the details when I have a bit more time. Need to dash as going up to near Perth to meet a friend for the day. Looking forward to catching up with her but also to an hour and a half each way on the train where I can just sit and read my book!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi all

Onestep (((hugs))) all the advice you need has already been given young man its time you listened xx

Br00ksie awesome well done that's such exiting news for you and we'll deserved.

Kell keep trying believe you me I know how hard it is.

Sorry it's been awhile (again) days are flying by still in my cocoon avoiding any event where alcohol is being served though last few weeks cravings been intense do they ever go? This week has been easy though yay finally out of the low mood I was in onwards and upwards. Nails painted new bright orange top bought and a night out at the cinema to look forward too yay no more moaping around.

Have a great weekend everyone x
Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning. I had a really tough time last night with cravings. I kept thinking it through, the tired day, the weight gain I am struggling to lose(sucks to be approaching 50), and my liver health. Over and over.

Made it through. Here I am, no regrets this morning. Thursdays seem to never cease being the kick off to the weekend thoughts, and are consistently my hardest nights.

One coping strategy, which is not working for me, is using food when I have cravings. I have gained weight on this roller coaster of ups and downs on my journey towards sobriety. So, any food slip, as well as drinking slip, for me, sets off a chain reaction of more carb cravings or sweets cravings, or drinking cravings.

When you have eating issues, overreating issues, it is hard to address. You cannot quit eating, you must learn to control it. I can obsess on food much the way we obsess on drink. I try to drive that energy to healthful food prep and recipes. But it gets exhausting fighting it all the time. My relapses are very connected to both issues.

Last night, I made a solid plan to not eat after 7. I did not. I had water all evening, and just dealt with it. I want to try to have that be my new plan. It addresses both any drinking(no caloric drinks either) or eating issues and hopefully will aid to my weight loss goal.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Tallia! Lots of us have been struggling lately. I am glad you are doing better. Keep posting!

Brooksie, what a great opportunity! So exciting. Congrats!

Rochele, I am with you on the weight and eating issues. I don't deal with diabetes, although my mom had Stage 2, so it's always in the back of my mind. My weight has been a battle since childhood and having my fourth kid at 41 seems to have me perpetually carrying extra weight in spite of my efforts to eat healthily. It really messes with how I feel about myself (duh) but also how I think others think of me. Like, how can my husband really love me when I look like this? Do I embarrass him?

You put into words what I haven't been able to crystallize for myself: you can't quit eating, you have to control it. And that is really hard, especially when life is happening and I have fewer vices to fall back on. Life on life's terms, I suppose.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Freedom Friday Edition~~
~~Replay Your Success~~

Welcome to the end of a wonderful week and the day that you realize that you are closer to success than you give yourself credit for! Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to replaying your past successes!

If you were to ask any successful person what was one of their most important keys to accomplishing their goals, without a doubt most would say Self-Confidence. Self Confidence in many ways is the most important ingredient needed to achieve anything in life! It is imperative that you believe with full faith that whatever you are trying to achieve will be accomplished, as long as you keep going strong after any trial or tribulation.

Because of the misconception that many have as it relates to being successful, most people give up at the first sign of trouble! This is why remembering your past successes is vital. This is the starting process of accumulating more self-confidence by reminding yourself that you’ve been in a place before where things may have seemed difficult but by sticking in there you were able to achieve your desired outcome. When I say past success, It can be the smallest thing…

The size and what of the success is really immaterial but the how is what is most important! All success is obtained the same way; When you learned how to ride a bike you simply got on, fell a couple of times and afterwards you got it! That’s how life works… whether it’s riding a bike or trying to close a million dollar deal, if you simply believe that you can, allow your belief to guide your actions, then Keep on keeping on no matter the circumstance then you WILL be successful every single time!

What you are trying to achieve right now is a small thing to a giant! Stop giving your dreams that much power and realize that at this very second your are more than equipped to turn your dreams into reality! The moment you give yourself full credit for who you really are is the moment that you begin to get what you deserve in life!

Again, Always remind yourself about your past success and with that action you will continuously build a strong foundation and ultimately build the Self-Confidence needed to succeed at ANYTHING! Stay focused! #NothingCanStopYouButYOU!-Ash’Cash

~Healthy Snacks~

“If I feel depressed I will sing. If I feel sad I will laugh. If I feel ill I will double my labor. If I feel fear I will plunge ahead. If I feel inferior I will wear new garments. If I feel uncertain I will raise my voice. If I feel poverty I will think of wealth to come. If I feel incompetent I will think of past success. If I feel insignificant I will remember my goals. Today I will be the master of my emotions.”
-Og Mandino

“It’s possible to forget how alive we really are. We can become dry and tired, just existing, instead of really living. We need to remind ourselves of the juice of life, and make that a habit. Find those places inside that jump for joy, and do things”-Unknown

“We do not remember days, we remember moments. The richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten.”-Cesare Pavese

“Remind yourself regularly that you are better than you think you are. Successful people are not superhuman. Success does not require a super-intellect. Nor is there anything mystical about success. And success doesn’t based on luck. Successful people are just ordinary folks who have developed belief in themselves and what they do. Never — yes, never — sell yourself short.”-David Joseph Schwartz
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Great to see you back Talia and Brooksie!

Had a ok day today bit sad though, had to sort things out with job centre as my doctor has given me a sick form with unable to work, and a big Alcoholism dependency syndrome written on it....ugh hows it got to this? Probabably for the best though I need to concentrate on sobriety and get well, that's what Id tell a friend in my position- still hard to take though and embarrassing to have to say those words to officials sounding disgusted my pride getting the better of me, its for 4weeks so Im trying to get to as many meetings as I can between now and then. Have to wait at least two weeks for payment so skint til then.

My dads keeping a distance and that's sad for me but understandable I guess. Support from sister and others though is good and think theyre relieved in a way that Ive took the decision to go to rehab, got an assessment in the organisation Im having to through to get there and Im realistic enough to realise this wont be an overnight thing. The worry for me is if it takes that long that il start feeling better and think I don't need it anymore.

Got a step meeting tonight and itl be horrible fessing up again, spoke to 2 friends though and they've been supportive. Just hate this disease.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

GotGrace and Rochele - I'm pretty sure I have an addiction to food and alcohol. And it seems I have to be doing well with both or neither! It's so frustrating this roller coaster of doing well and falling off, doing well and falling off Nights are the worst. I pack a lunch for work so I can eat well all day but then at night I snack and snack and snack and sometimes I drink and drink and drink.
Why does it always have to be so extreme? I hate that about myself

I am happy to say I made it to Day 7. This is the first time I've made it a week in quite awhile. But with it comes major cravings. I'm hoping I'll be able to report in tomorrow morning with a Day 8!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Wow, checking in after a couple of days and there is such good stuff here. So grateful for you guys.

1step, I am so proud of you!!! It has got to be so hard to turn in that paperwork and talk to your work about rehab and treatment. I think one thing everyone would agree on is that admitting you're an alcoholic in real life to non-alcoholics, etc is really difficult and can feel shameful. On the other hand, there is liberation and freedom in acknowledging and treating your problems - no more secrets, and more people to help you stay accountable. Do you have an estimated date for rehab or know where you're going?

Brooksie, that's totally exciting and unbelievable news about the script! Whoa! Keep us posted. I'm glad you're out of the cave. I've miss your posts.

Diesel, thank you for the motivational stuff lately. They have been really pertinent to me. How are you doing with those decisions you mentioned?

PBC, hope you are feeling better!

Talia, so nice to hear from you! Bet you were looking gorgeous in the new top!

Rochele, I'm sorry you've been having to grind out these battles with sobriety in the evenings. It can be exhausting. The food stuff too. Have you thought about seeing a therapist to help?

Fishy, good to hear from you! I'm so sorry that you are struggling with health. How awesome that you are sober.

Anyone I missed - sorry! I'm in brain fog right now.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

As for me - I'm doing well. Signing up with this trainer was the best thing I could do for myself. She gave me a menu and a training plan. I am exercising 6 days a week. It's amazing what it does to wipe away my depression.

I'm officially halfway through my program! I finished my finals today and maintained my 4.0. Go me I'm getting a lower level professional license this month so that I can work clinically while in school, since I didn't get that job.

Husband is interviewing for a big promotion. It would be amazing for his career but we would have to move about an hour to 90 min away. We are sort of ambivalent about it. For us to move AGAIN they would have to give us more money than I think they will. We will see.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Great job Renarde! You really are an inspiration. You have been through so much and have maintained your sobriety through it all. You are simply awesome!!