Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 30

Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I'm an only child, Dee--I'm used to thinking the whole world revolves around me!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know much about BPD Gilmer, but I'd be hard pressed to find a more consistently sunnier more positive poster on SR than you

Just goes to show the difference in perceptions I guess?

Hope you have a good day
D
Old 04-24-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, Dee. Your kind words go a long way to bringing about an excellent day!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gilmer, I too have to say, sometimes to your own detriment,( when perhaps you need a hug and won't tell anyone!) you post here and on other threads constantly offering up positive comfort and support, giving cyber hugs and being generally amazing. I say this from the privileged position of knowing you better than some here through our personal correspondences, so knowing your struggles I have even more genuine love and respect for your ability to 'turn a frown upside down' . I know you are smiling reading this, so my work is done! xx

Elsie GF, I wasn't big on adrenalin in my life and most of my drinking was in solitude so I have no real highs to miss. I will say, that we change as our lives change, but addiction can prevent that. So at a time when we would have put child like tantrums and socially unacceptable highs and lows behind us, alcohol for sure frees us from having to acknowledge societies norms. Now having had the fun extended, it is harder than ever to let go. So don't. Giving away drink and drama doesnt mean you can occasionally let your inner child run free. Go find a swing and see how high you can get it going, jump on your trolley and 'weeeeeeeee' down the aisle next time your shopping. Find something coffee splutteringly hysterical every day. I am embarrassingly open to my inner child, where as my husband dressed his in Sunday clothes at the age of 17 and told him to sit down and shut up. He is rarely allowed out to play. My inner child has scuffed shoes. A rip in her skirt, and I'm ashamed to say, snotty sleeves. She runs about regularly and I rarely reign her in. She had a shite childhood, least I can do is give her some fun now. And we both enjoy it more sober. She isn't scared any more.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

This is certainly not where I expected to be physically, emotionally, mentally and physically in my recovery at this point. Given where I was just a short time ago, I am free falling.

Tomorrow I will have a bracelet monitor placed tightly on my ankle for 20 days. Having experienced this for 88 days a couple years ago, it has me thinking I should have just done the 10 days in jail.

The constant irritation of having a vice grip around my ankle starts to wane just a tad around day 21. Till then, it is just a form of torture.

There is no peace and serenity in this vice grip like form of medieval torture and isolation, just doing my time till my time is over.

I better get started on this blog, or I will end up boring all of you far too often with my poor me, pour me another self loathing. Fact is, it will get better again.

The reason that it will get better is simple, the most important thing I could possibly do today is my top priority. Feel free to join me in my pledge to stay clean and sober.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to jail or had an ankle bracelet but I honestly think I'd take the bracelet for 20 days Carlos.

I hope it goes quickly

D
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 mos Glee!

I think I'd take the bracelet over jail any day Carlos. I would go NUTS confined like that. I do not take authority well either so would be in the "hole" I am sure.

A rainy Thursday and thunder-y here, which is helping the grass and spring trees grow. The blossom season for the pears, magnolias, red buds, dogwoods, etc. is winding down. Nothing really shaking otherwise, just checking in and wishing all well!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I am hoping to be done with day 1 for good this time. I need to try something new instead of failing over and over again. I would like to keep showing up here and keep trying. I am not going to drink or do any drugs today.

Is it normal to feel a little like you have the flu when quitting? I have yet to make it to day 3 without at least a couple drinks in the last several years. It is time.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

JJ welcome to the undies!!

Carlos it will def get better and hey at least it's not as long as the first time you had one on.

Well another day off to work. I have to work this weekend but atleast it's only once a month I work a sat. Hopefully today goes by somewhat fast
Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Haha, Dee your post was a vivid reminder. I stopped to really think it through. I did two days in jail the last time too. I can honestly say they were pretty bad. I'm sure you can get comfortable with being treated like a sub human, but that probably exceeds 20 days.

Today I am grateful for....

JJ, congrats on your decision to post here. You can do this! Do you think you might need detox? Some do, some don't when they stop. Great to have you on board. Please disregard my previous post. My life is 1000 times better today for one simple reason...I didn't drink yesterday.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Welcome JJ! I tried to stop many time, tried to moderate and eventually went back to my booze hound ways. SR gave me the support I needed. We have on line meetings on Tues and Friday and a wonderful group here.

Good luck and hang in!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Thank you, Drake!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
p***enger

JJ, welcome to the undies! I hope you hang around and post here often -- it's a great supportive group and you can get lots of advice and virtual hugs!

I very much felt flu-type stuff when I was detoxing and had a hard time getting past 3 days. I know it's not for everyone, but I went to AA on my first day 5 and it helped me enormously to stay sober through the early stages.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

JJ so good to see that you found your way here. This is such a great bunch of people to turn to for support and advice. I think flu like symptoms are pretty common if you haven't stooped drinking for a long time.If you are in any doubt as to whether you need to do a specific detox plan it is definitely worth seeking medical advice. If you look back over the last few pages, you will see that some of the undies here are like family ( in that we bicker and poke fun at each other) because we have been around a while, others like you are recent additions to the family. See Cowboy, he has the kettle on, and I believe Gilmer had just baked a fresh batch of cookies. Share or don't share, post or just read, all that matters is that when you visit you bring an open mind and when you leave you take peace.

Carlos, go Visit Buddink in the March 13 Class. I wont expand on that, its his experience to share. But let us girls get our hands on that ankle jewellery and we will soon bling you up honey. remember, its how you look at things, at least you have an ankle to put the darn blasted thing on. And you are way too cute for jail!!

Drake, BFree, you are sounding good.

Courage, hows the eye?

Offski
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I have been unable to find a meeting to go to around this rural area where I live. Could someone tell me how to find the Tues and Friday meetings on line here? I'd like to try sitting in on one. It might be good for me. I assume they are in real time?

JJ, I'd just like to add my 2 cents worth. If the flu like symptoms get too much or if the shakes are really bad, seek help from a doctor or urgent care facility. This can be a dangerous time and you can really compound it if you don't seek help if it's required. My mom used to work in a detox facility and she was kind and understanding and felt real empathy and did not judge. She'd been there. Many people who work in the field have been there themselves and are very caring. If you need help please don't be afraid.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Anyone heard from Matthew or Grace?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Drake, Toots can offer a better perspective, but I heard from Gracie last week and she is very busy, quite sober and doing fine. Just needed some time to tend to family issues and a well deserved SR vacation. She promises to return soon.

I've got no news on Matthew.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Elsie- Here is the section where they list info on the chat meetings- Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information Click on the most recent post and it will give you info on joining in.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Else, I am a frequent participator in the chat/meetings. They are organized and have a topic. I see you are in Oregon, so it would be 6 Pacific time. 8 central. Usually last an hour.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hi, JJ! Welcome! As you can see, it's a great group.

Carlos, I know your time at home for these 20 days will not be in vain. I had a friend who had to wear the ankle bracelet for months, and she hated it--she said it was very uncomfortable. You are not really in freefall. You are staying the course and not drinking. It shows more maturity to stay strong when you are not experiencing gratification.