Notices

Moms and Mums Club 2013 Part 9

Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Dolly - I loved reading your story of how you started this sobriety journey. It sounds so incredibly calm and focused - like a switch went on and you just reprogrammed your life. I wish my journey had started more intentionally, and not like a wild declaration while drunk... either way, here we both are! I'm so amazed by all you've done this past year and you have so much to be proud of!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Thanks all! It's been a semi bumpy road, with the first 6 months being the bumpiest, but life is so much easier without alcohol.

Well, just finished my tea and tonight's treat..a homemade chocolate chunk cookie with sea salt....just the thing this menstruating gal needed;-). Time for bed I think...hope you all have a great night!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I thought I would come and say Hi!
I'm a Mom of four and I have been sober 9 days.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Dolly - HAPPY ONE YEAR!!!! You're an inspiration. Enjoy your chocolate treat, WELL DESERVED!!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Welcome ChickChick!

Congrats on 9 days...off to a great start. We love having new moms to share with, so feel free, and know everyone here is incredibly supportive!

I myself am mom to 1 7 year old daughter, and just hit my 1 year sober mark today, so am in a celebration kind of mood:-0

Stay with us and hang out...:-)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Congrats Dolly... And thanks for sharing that story with us.... U should be so very proud of yourself...one yr is HUGE and most folks I chat with at meetings say it truly is the turning point ....I will keep u in mind today as my inspiration!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Thank you ladies!

My mom, who many of you know is also a recovering alcoholic and celebrated her 40th year of sobriety this past Valentine's Day gave me a beautiful card this morning, and she managed to get an AA 1 year gold coin to give me! I have never gone to AA meetings (not that I didn't want to, but more our schedules didn't work with any meeting times as a family, and so far SR has been enough for me), so it was so nice that she was able to get one for me!!!!

Love my mom:-)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Good morning ladies!

It is a miserable day here - cold, rainy, windy. Feels like winter

Dolly, congrats on 1 year!!! So happy for you. You and your family must be so proud
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't even have 1 slip since you started your sobriety journey, right?

Welcome chickchick and congrats on 9 days! How old are your kids?

Hope you all have a wonderful day. At gym now, but will check back in later xxx
Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Thank you Lady!!

That's correct...I did not have a slip. Although I came very close one time around the 4 month milestone when I was coming back from vacation. We were driving from Pittsburgh, and stopped at a hotel in Wilkes Barre to stay the night, and due to a health issue (which turned out to be nothing serious), I was very anxious! While hubby and daughter went to the hotel pool, I actually bought a bottle of brandy and had it in my purse for that whole day and night.

I never cracked the seal, instead I came here and read post after post. Well, that got me through, and the next day after we arrived home, I disposed of the unopened bottle of brandy.

I had a few other moments of brief cravings and had to shut down the "nobody will know" AV, but nothing as hard as that time in Pennsylvania.

Thanks again for all your support!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Hi girls,
Dolly, congratulations on the one year anniversary - that's a huge achievement. Chick chick - I'm pretty new here too, and have found this forum to be really useful in the past few weeks.
Thanks again for the support and understanding after my slip up last week. I can't remember who, but someone asked me what it was like... I have to say my main feeling was that it was pretty pointless actually. I mean, I didn't drink that much, didn't even really feel it as I was so used to drinking so much more and not that long ago. So I felt the whole thing was pretty useless, apart from helping to teach me that it's really not worth it.
My husband left today for the next 5 days, and in some ways I feel that 'slip up' on the weekend actually helped me. I haven't had a single craving since (I mean it's only been a few days, but I was struggling with cravings several times a day before that). And today, for the first time I could go to the supermarket to do the grocery shopping and walk past the alcohol aisle and honestly not feel any desire to buy something. So that feel like a big step for me. Long may it last! I'm loving a day without that internal battle raging.
Will check in a lot over the next few days if those cravings return again....
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dolly! That's really awesome! You should be proud of yourself. It's quite an inspiration as well

Welcome Chick Chick!

Chickster I felt the exact same way after my slip. It was kind of like "Really? What's the point of this?". I drank less than I had in the past too, but it still left me feeling like crap the whole next day. AND I had insomnia that whole night, just like I used to. Not one wink of sleep! I'm glad you brought that up because I was having some cravings earlier. I'm going to have to consult my journal of reasons why I don't drink anymore. I'm not sure what triggered them this time. I've found that if I ever start thinking about the past I get an urge to drink. I've more or less come to accept the fact that I'm going to get urges from time to time. Some are worse than others. But I'm not afraid of them anymore. I feel like if I fear them I feed them. I just have to nip them in the bud and tell my AV "I will never drink again and I won't change my mind" and then I think of all the reasons why. If they get strong enough to the point where I start fantasizing about drinking then I have to consult the journal. The journal is kind of a bummer because I have HUNDREDS of bad past experiences associated with drinking and reasons why I don't drink anymore. I also have some pretty sad day after journal entries. By the time I'm done consulting this little packet of information I'm thinking "Whoa! That's MORE than enough to convince me to never drink again! Good grief!".
Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Chickster- I'm the one who asked how did it feel...it's super helpful for you to answer that!!! Because I so wondered! I want that euphoria feeling. That I have a friend to fall back on. But it's all fake, right? Being in control of ones mind and body is a better route to take, especially as moms!!!

Welcome chick chick- the beginning is always the hardest! Keep it up. I've been sober since Feb 8.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

My slip was really pointless as well ..... I will never be able to drink normal again it's not worth the problems it created in my life. I feel too good now to go back to that lifestyle if the roller coaster of drinking and maybe I do miss it a little sometimes ... Have had a few urges from time to time ... But I find they're fewer and rather between ... Thank god!!!
I have not been feeling well for a few days now... Weird headache and very low energy level... Felt like I could hardly wake up this morning and everything I've done today has taken tremendous effort!! I'm thinking I am just kinda runned down a bit from the trip last week and am taking it easy bu it's starting to concern me a bit??? I do not like the way I feel and may make a drs appt if I don't feel myself in a few days. I want my energy back and feeling like this reminds me of feeling hungover a little bit and I certainly did not get sober to feel hungover for days on end!!! Oh the irony of it!!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Sissy - I woke up on Sunday feeling hungover. It was awful. Headache, body aches and my stomach was really uneasy. I'm just today finally feeling better. I always get cravings when I feel sick. I think it's like a "F--- it" kind of thing - like, I already feel awful, why not drink to forget how bad I feel and wake up feeling just as awful as I do now. Weird, I know... Maybe it's allergies for you?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Sissy- I hope you start to feel better! Bebetter I'm the same way. I had a headache all weekend because I slept on my neck wrong at my friends house. It actually made me want to drink.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hi ladies,

Sissy, hope you feel better. I hate feeling hungover when I haven't had a drop of alcohol. It's so discouraging. Maybe you just have some sort if bug? Lots going around right now.

Since I started getting sober a year ago I haven't enjoyed any of my slips. It's like my brain changed when I joined SR and decided I wanted to live a sober life. I always say SR ruined drinking for me That is such a wonderful thing, though!! I tried AA before, but nothing has worked for me like SR has. This place and all of you are amazing!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Good morning ladies!

Ladybug- I agree with you, drinking will never be the same again thanks to SR. Sometimes when I have an urge I just get on here and look at one of the new posts that say "I drank again and I feel bad". That's all it takes to ruin any sort of romantic fantasy I have about drinking! I wonder what sort of affect that'd have on a normal drinker...

Sissy and Bebetter I hope you get feeling better soon. There have been some nasty bugs going around lately! Take care of yourself and try to get some rest.

Beautiful morning here and baby is sleeping in, which is truly unheard of. I'm soaking up this silence right now, but in a weird way I kinda miss him. When he wakes up I'm looking forward to taking a nice long walk. No jogging for me today because my knee and foot are kind of sore. I think I've been overdoing it. I think I may also be getting addicted to exercise!

I'll be checking in throughout the day. Take care ladies!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Hi moms,

Hope all is well. Just winding down after a busy day. Have a rotten cough....hate when I go into coughing fits. Ever since giving birth my bladder isn't as strong, and am constantly doing the leg cross every time I cough or sneeze! Damn, getting older sure sucks:-)

I agree with everyone...hanging out here and reading other posts about how bad people feel after a relapse, and that they didn't even get any enjoyment out of it...sure does act as a deterrent for me too.

So glad it's Friday tomorrow...this week seemed to drag on forever!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Hi all - just reading along, nothing new to post. I've been doing this clean diet for nearly 2 weeks now, and that, coupled with a stomach bug, has contributed to me losing a few lbs. Just 3 more and I'll be at pre-pregnancy weight. About time, now that my "baby" is 25 months. Of course, my body doesn't look anywhere near the same. I think I'll have to go a few lbs under to swing a bikini this year (read: not happening...). I've been feeling really good, though, mentally, and can't help thinking it's a result of cleaning up my diet.

No plans this weekend, which I'm glad for. I worked last weekend and I work next weekend. What's everyone else doing?

Sarah - been thinking of you and hope everything is going well1

Lady - ultrasound on Monday, right? Ugh... wish it were today so you didn't have to wait the whole weekend.

Dolly - I hope your cough goes away. I guess I'll be happy with my c-sec scar and belly flap, knowing that giving birth the natural way (I only delivered my son that way, and that was at 31 weeks, so he wasn't very large) probably would have resulted in me crossing my legs a bunch too! Ugh!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Good luck Ladybug on the ultra sound! We will be thinking of you and keeping our fingers crossed!

Man, I had a plan last night to drink tonight. I had it all mapped out. The blazer game is on at 730 and I was going to go to CVS and buy some really good beer. Then I thought to save money and but cheap beer. I was going to hide it from my son. Go upstairs a lot like my hubby does and drink in the closet.

I squashed the plan this morning. I no longer wanted a drink. So strange how your mind can play tricks on you. I've lost 12 pounds. I also looked at old photos of my fat alcoholic face. Not a good look!!!

Hubby is still drinking. It's miserable. He's up and down, inappropriate at times and fantastic at times. My life is a roller coaster. His mom visits next weekend. I hope she can see him drunk like I see him. He knows he's manic. He's a musician and has a genius IQ, which doesn't make it any easier! He's such a great dad to my daughter but struggles with my son who sees right through him...

I never thought life would be this challenging. Thank goodness for my kids and my sweet pets.

I am very thankful for all of you too!

Happy Freakin Friday:-)