Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 5

Old 03-12-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

It takes time, shi. Keep living soberly and eventually people will expect a sober you. You are doing so well; eventually people will "see" it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shi View Post
I need to post more often on here. I'm still sober since Feb 2nd, by the grace of God.

Lately I go into the office and feel like everyone thinks I have taken a drink (I used to drink during the day and then go to the office and pretend to be sober) so I start making conversation to show them I'm sober.....yet I am sober. What do I do 2 get rid of this mess?
I think you can only show them by example. They will eventually see you as a sober person. They most important thing is YOU know you are sober and should be proud of yourself.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Welcome, Raider! Great job on 5 weeks. I'm on day 31 here, so I understand. I've had more craving in the last few days than I did in the beginning, but I desperately do not want to go back to day 1 and the way I was living my life. Stay strong! It's a great group here.

GF, There HAS to be an emoticon for that! Have you seen the list?!?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I was wondering if anyone else is feeling tired and unfocused. I've been having a hard time getting things done, things that I was able to accomplish easily while drinking. I also find I'm too tired for exercise in the morning before work, then after work I'm tired too, and it's not an excuse because I like exercising. I am trying to figure out whether I'm expecting too much of myself, too soon. (I'm 17 days sober, although I have been working at it for over 5 weeks). I work full time and my kids have a busy schedule, but my job isn't stressful and driving the kids around takes time, not effort.

I think I'm going to ratchet back on my exercise ambitions and stick with something low-key for a month. I'm also going to try to cut back on caffeine and sugar consumption. I am working desperately at moderation of sugar intake and, much like my attempts at alcohol moderation, it is a giant failure. Case in point: last night I ate a whole box of Girl Scout Samoas.

When all is said and done, I'd rather be tired than hungover. I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling tired too, and looking for some reassurance that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am only on day 20 but I am a huge exercise addict. I found I was too tired the first 2 weeks to do anything, sleep is when the body heals, sleep all you can at first. I now get up and go before work because at the end of the day it's impossible. It is harder to get up but I am forcing myself because the lbs I lost in the beginning are creeping back up because my cravings for sugar are unreal. It only takes two weeks to make something a habit.... Good Luck! The important thing is you are sober, everything else will fall into place eventually!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SayAnything View Post
Welcome, Raider! Great job on 5 weeks. I'm on day 31 here, so I understand. I've had more craving in the last few days than I did in the beginning, but I desperately do not want to go back to day 1 and the way I was living my life. Stay strong! It's a great group here.

GF, There HAS to be an emoticon for that! Have you seen the list?!?
Congrats on day 31, SayAnything; that's major progress!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I think you can only show them by example. They will eventually see you as a sober person. They most important thing is YOU know you are sober and should be proud of yourself.
I agree. Shi, keep doing what you're doing, and your reputation will turn around.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I just found them. I feel like I hit the jackpot.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Absolutely drained of ALL energy last couple of days. Been slogging away at the job hunt but still nothing. Brain is in a blender, no idea what thoughts or feelings are coming from one minute to the next. Trying to slow my engine down.

I had a thought today, every time I've been depressed or in tough circumstances in the past, it's the absolute WORST at the time and feels it will never end, then when it does you look back and it doesn't feel so bad when you remember the bad times, you kind of feel proud of yourself for getting through it. I'm hoping that sooner or later the things I need to start moving forward will start happening. Until then it's just about keeping my nose to the grindstone.

Tough weekend looms on the horizon for me, but I know I have strong armour to face it, and all of you are my comrades in arms.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Oh and to everyone with sugar cravings, my best advice would be to keep a big bag of mixed dried fruit, nuts raisins to hand (I think it's called 'trail mix' in America?, handfuls of that when a craving hits is a healthier way to satisfy it without chowing down on chocolate.

Dried apricots and dried apple are good too as they're chewy and sort of give you that feeling like you're chomping sweets, but again, they have micronutrients and aren't those awful 'empty' calories that's in choc or other candy and theyre slower release sugars so you don't peak then crash.

All easier said than done I know! I have a Crunchie bar in the fridge that I swear is communicating with me telepathically.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonelyShadow View Post
Oh and to everyone with sugar cravings, my best advice would be to keep a big bag of mixed dried fruit, nuts raisins to hand (I think it's called 'trail mix' in America?, handfuls of that when a craving hits is a healthier way to satisfy it without chowing down on chocolate.

Dried apricots and dried apple are good too as they're chewy and sort of give you that feeling like you're chomping sweets, but again, they have micronutrients and aren't those awful 'empty' calories that's in choc or other candy and theyre slower release sugars so you don't peak then crash.

All easier said than done I know! I have a Crunchie bar in the fridge that I swear is communicating with me telepathically.
I really like trail mix, LS, although I must admit that sort of load mine up with semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Congrats to all on staying sober!!

LS, I love the way you write about your experiences. And I hoped you'd have some advice for those of us eating sweets! Of course you came through! I'm trying this "moderation" diet, where I ease up on exercise and allow myself a little bit of sweets. It sounds counterintuitive, and I've never been successful at moderation in any domain, ever, but I can't keep beating up my body with strenuous exercise right now. I thought I'd be bursting with energy, but from what people say about their experiences and what I've been reading, this is a time to heal. I have a physical coming up soon too.

Say Anything, sorry to hear your cravings are worsening. Trust me, there is nothing good at the bottom of a bottle. Post here, pm me, or post in newcomers if you need help right away. They respond quickly. I have another hockey tournament this weekend and a possible hotel stay.

Rudy thanks for the exercise advice. Time to go kickboxing to a Jillian Michaels DVD before the kids get home and have to get ready for hockey. It's almost like not exercising because I barely break a sweat. BUT the person I want to be doesn't have an all or nothing mentality. The person I want to be isn't an impulsive, reckless eater. The person I want to be can eat less when they ease up on exercise. She's pretty evolved, huh?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Everytime I read one of your posts, LS, I am so impressed by your strength, wisdom and resolve. These are difficult times for you, no doubt, but you are moving forward with determination. Your efforts will pay off soon. You are inspirational.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

gleefan Thanks! I find moderation really tricky too, I find the diets where you count calories and have a very modest calorie defecit of around 400 you can still have treats every now and then and still expect about 1lbs a week. But yeah a rigorous training programme does put the body under a lot of stress, so if you're recovering from alcohol on top of that it's going to place your body and mind on a hell of a rollercoaster, just keep it sensible I guess! Glad you're doing well

SoberLeigh Thank you for the vote of confidence, it really means a lot, especially as I'm isolated and the few people I speak to have absolutly no clue what I'm going through. I get such a strong sense that everyone on here truly understands, which lends me strength, if I give others strength too then I guess we're all links one seriously strong chain.

Peace to all tonight, must try and get some sleep
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

My sugar cravings are wild. I'll eat anything sweet. Give me sweets instead of dinner!!! Yum!!! Viva La Sweets!!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
My sugar cravings are wild. I'll eat anything sweet. Give me sweets instead of dinner!!! Yum!!! Viva La Sweets!!!!!
There was an old commercial some time back which said "BEEF. It's not just for dinner any more."

I like to say "CHOCOLATE; it's not just for breakfast any more."
Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Viva la sweets! I love that 3 weeks today. Things seem to be going really well the last few days. I have had a little bit of brain fog myself. Like my brain is loaded with quicksand lol but it seems to come and go. I had a thought earlier today that "I'm not that bad" and "maybe just a few drinks on the weekend". I know this isn't true but it's strange how I can start to entertain the idea. Been reading the Alan Carr book. Anyone else read it? I can't reAlly get into it but I'm determined to finish. Happy wed my February friends
Old 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

OK, I just started catching up on this page after eating most of a giant bag of caramel popcorn. Now I just feel guilty. But it was pretty tasty, imo. I ate some cashews, too, so I got some protein! Guess I need to get some trail mix, LS. I appreciate your advice. Sorry the job hunt is not going so well. I'm impressed with how intuitive you are about your feelings and how your mood changes will cycle. I have no idea where mine are going most of the time. BTW, what's a Crunchie bar?

Alright, need to go to the store now and try to avoid the Cadbury egg display. Have a great day!

And thanks for all of the support! Who needs alcohol when you have sweets? Viva la Sweets! Maybe we need a special shield for sweets, too.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Viva la sweets! I love that 3 weeks today. Things seem to be going really well the last few days. I have had a little bit of brain fog myself. Like my brain is loaded with quicksand lol but it seems to come and go. I had a thought earlier today that "I'm not that bad" and "maybe just a few drinks on the weekend". I know this isn't true but it's strange how I can start to entertain the idea. Been reading the Alan Carr book. Anyone else read it? I can't reAlly get into it but I'm determined to finish. Happy wed my February friends
I think I'll be ordering the book. I am curious.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I wonder what day to count starts. I didn't drink yesterday. Yet when the hospital let me out it was midnight the night before. I don't know if that ruins day one if booze was still in the system at start of day.

Grrr. One day shouldn't matter this much but I badly want to be on day two.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

And thanks for all of the support! Who needs alcohol when you have sweets? Viva la Sweets! Maybe we need a special shield for sweets, too.
I found that herbal teas helped me a ton. I also have fruit and one Italian ice a night.

I get the sciences behind it but I was surprised about the sugar impact. I learned in IOP years ago.

I looked up diabetic sugar free candy. Looks like those come with gassy side effects.