Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 5

Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congratulations to everyone for even being here! What a smart thing you've done.

Two years ago I joined the February 2012 class, and it is the best thing I have ever done.

I know it can be excruciating hard, at least it was for me. I was so terrified to let go of alcohol, without the security of knowing I would get a better life in the exchange.

But you learn how to do it, by doing it. And my life is better beyond what I could imagine, and beyond what I thought I deserved.

So I just wanted you to know, that your sober self is waiting ahead too, and can't wait till you get there!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks, EternalQ.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

22 days for me. Glad to be in a prior months class
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks Jenny, Soberleigh and Gleefan!

Jenny- No chip...I haven't participated in AA yet but I'd like to try it at some point.

Dax- Good night to you! and congrats on another day of sobriety despite today's struggle.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 days Mrrryah!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello, everyone! Just catching up after a few days of being really busy. I think busy is good. It's given me less time to think about wanting to drink. I was watching a recorded show last night and this new show was coming on after called "Mixology." I'm glad I didn't record that because, for some unknown reason (HA!), those drinks were looking mighty refreshing. But then I just snuggled up with my warm blanket and my hot tea and was thankful that I would wake up and even remember what I saw.

Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
My spouse and I drink/drank together too much on Saturday. That's why I'm cleaning up now. He's going out of town for the next few days, which I'm glad of. He hasn't declared any plans to quit, but I often find that he follows suit when I remove that element from our lives. I'll enjoy the sober space. But when he gets back it might be tough...
Ilya, good job for coming back. My husband and I are the same. He has never really declared his intentions or even spoken about how he feels without alcohol, but he seems to be following my lead. It makes me feel a little more responsible, even though I know we're only responsible for our own actions, because I don't want to lead him back to drinking if I were to have a slip. I know he'd be right back with me. I know we haven't really had any true test, like holidays, or hanging out with his family, so I hope we can be supportive of each other through those times. I hope you both can, too!

Delphine, congrats on 31 days now! I'm a day behind you and also kind of wish I had a chip to look at as a reminder of my accomplishment. Right now, coming here has been that for me with all of you. I hope therapy helps. I think it's brave to reach out like you and GEAH and others have done.

Jenny, I want to read Russell Brand's books, but haven't gotten to them yet. I think he's extremely smart, if a little crazy. I'm reading "Unwasted" by Sach Scoblic right now. I've also got Nikki Sixx's book "The Heroin Diaries," which should make for an interesting read, if I can find the time to sit down and read them!

GEAH, I hope you can stay strong with your partner still drinking. It's hard when you're not on the same page. I think you are doing great by finding the help you need, no matter what. It's so early in your recovery, you need more help than you will later on. This is your beginning - where they teach you what you need to live a sober life. You won't need those tools always, but they are there when you do.

NT, I so exactly what you did when I go out. I always wonder about other people's circumstances involving alcohol. Obviously, we are not alone in that we are struggling with alcohol because we are here. But it sort of feels like being in a bubble and thinking that others have no worries. What would it feel like to just go out and not think about it? But you never know what people are going through. I know when I go out to dinner with my family, I don't drink at all. I wait until I get home, so I probably look like I don't have a problem.

Gleefan, glad you had fun skiing. I went to visit my friend in CO for the one time I've been skiing and I didn't have trouble with getting off the snow lift. But I did crash into the line of people and the ropes at the bottom when trying to get on. It was humiliating BTW, I hope Adam Lambert stays on Glee. I think he's awesome!

To everyone on this board, thanks for sharing your lives with me. I hope to be on more after this crazy, crazy week. Next week - SPRING BREAK!

Have a terrific Tuesday!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

How are you faring, Green Eggs?
Off to work.
Fallen ill with some kind of cough
Friends : does the hunger ever pass?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Ilya,

I was on a sweets kick for quite a while. Also, I seemed to eat constantly in the beginning. Here at day 30, it seems to have slowed down. I actually have to remind myself to eat more often. Maybe it's more that I'm busier, but I'm glad, whatever the reason! Don't get me wrong - I don't really deny myself the sweets, but it's not as frequent. I think it's totally normal.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SayAnything View Post
Ilya,

I was on a sweets kick for quite a while. Also, I seemed to eat constantly in the beginning. Here at day 30, it seems to have slowed down. I actually have to remind myself to eat more often. Maybe it's more that I'm busier, but I'm glad, whatever the reason! Don't get me wrong - I don't really deny myself the sweets, but it's not as frequent. I think it's totally normal.
I can't stop eating sweets at night! We have to replace all the sugar in alcohol somehow...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Day 20 here. Almost 3 weeks can't really believe it. Thank you for all of your posts and support, it has helped tremendously. Fighting with not going to class this morning, but I need consistency so I'll go. I was eating sweets nonstop the first 2 weeks. I still eat more than I should but it's slowly becoming less and less. Just wanted to check in. Hope everyone is in a good place!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Had a really busy day yesterday and long, much needed talk with my husband last night. Just realized I didn't even post yesterday Talked to my hubby about how I feel like we have gotten into a bit of a rut. Granted it has been a very long winter, but bottom line is we need to find new things/hobbies to do together that don't involve drinking. We used to be drinking buddies, especially before we had our daughter. Even after we had our daughter we would look forward to our "night out" which always involved going out to dinner/enjoying a few drinks together. Now that I am no longer drinking things gave gotten better yet somewhat boring, if that makes any sense? He assured me last night that he is happier with a sober wife because he no longer has to worry when I am out and about with our daughter, or feel like he has to look through drawers/closets for hidden bottles, etc. so maybe it is just me? I guess I need to stop feeling sorry myself that I can no longer drink and just accept and embrace my new, sober life. It is just so hard some days Anyway, we agreed that we need to make more of an effort to start doing some new things together and I need to get out of this mindset that I am boring/life is boring without alcohol.

So, Day 31 and it is going to be close to 60 degrees here today Going to take my daughter and dog out for a walk and try and enjoy it. Supposed to rain tomorrow and then be back in the 20's on Thursday, ugh.

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep fighting the fight - it can only get better
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It's great you had that conversation with him LB I hope you find some sober fun activities to do with him soon

It will be hard some days, but it is so worth it for the good days! You're doing so well, you deserve happiness.

Rooting for you
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Hey class how I've missed you and should've stuck around. Seemed wired to go to March when I know some of your stories. Hoping to make it a week. Vacation next Mon Tues. All inclusive with free booze! I'll pry still feel like crap after what I pulled yesterday, so hoping I get through that and no more vacations upcoming. Thinking the last time I did fine like nine months like Geah, was in IOP. Going to set that up again, is my idea.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I was wondering if anyone else is feeling tired and unfocused. I've been having a hard time getting things done, things that I was able to accomplish easily while drinking. I also find I'm too tired for exercise in the morning before work, then after work I'm tired too, and it's not an excuse because I like exercising. I am trying to figure out whether I'm expecting too much of myself, too soon. (I'm 17 days sober, although I have been working at it for over 5 weeks). I work full time and my kids have a busy schedule, but my job isn't stressful and driving the kids around takes time, not effort.

I think I'm going to ratchet back on my exercise ambitions and stick with something low-key for a month. I'm also going to try to cut back on caffeine and sugar consumption. I am working desperately at moderation of sugar intake and, much like my attempts at alcohol moderation, it is a giant failure. Case in point: last night I ate a whole box of Girl Scout Samoas.

When all is said and done, I'd rather be tired than hungover. I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling tired too, and looking for some reassurance that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
Hey class how I've missed you and should've stuck around. Seemed wired to go to March when I know some of your stories. Hoping to make it a week. Vacation next Mon Tues. All inclusive with free booze! I'll pry still feel like crap after what I pulled yesterday, so hoping I get through that and no more vacations upcoming. Thinking the last time I did fine like nine months like Geah, was in IOP. Going to set that up again, is my idea.
I'm glad you jumped back in here, Torn. ((Hugs))

After what happened last night, do you think you can postpone your trip? Is it safe for you to be surrounded by those kinds of triggers and temptation?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I was just thinking... I am reluctant to post anything here or anywhere. I read your posts and I feel like my issues are nothing compared to things you all are going thru, or how are my posts going to do any good for anyone. I guess this is self pity. lol. I dont really know cuz I dont allow my feelings to surface very often. When they do come out its a jumbled mess.
Anyways... As the days of sobriety increase, I have so much time to think. And I am beginning to realize just how emotionally messed up I am. I also realize that I am in denial about my allowing myself to heal. I know I need help and I am getting help but the big problem is that I cant or wont commit to dealing with my emotions. All I can do it keep going to counseling and hopefully the doctors/counselors do not give up trying to help. Somewhere deep inside me is a little part of me that wants the help, I just dont know what is holding me back.

Thanks for reading. I am trying to get things out of my head and into print. Maybe it will help. lol.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Lucy your thoughts and problems and input are valuable. Keep posting!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

The strength of this class is a collective endeavor, lucy, and your input is of great value.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Lucy keep posting. If anything I let the thinking I wasn't as bad as so and so give me permission to keep drinking or it sounds like you need support just to share thoughts too.

Sounds like you are working through problems with professionals and I'm glad to see that.

Glee I want to cancel the trip. Family reunion planned since Dec under my name. So I've tried three times to quit this year. Jan went great! Then the fall. I have a few sober family, exit plans and strategies. I know that frustrates people to hear but I got XYZ coming!

I guess I'm going to be one of those people. I do have exit plans and other rules in place versus nothing for this.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey gleefan - a feeling of lethargy can really take hold early on and continue or some time - for me, almost six months. If you can, power on with your exercise even if you have to substantially cutback in frequency and intensity. This will pass; it's all part of recovery; not all of it seems positive at first and even seems counterintuitive.