Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 24

Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
What is your mom's secret ingredient, Brooksie? Well, I suppose it will no longer be a secret, lol, but can you share? We had turkey chile last night. I had it in the freezer from another time.
Honey! Not a lot, just a little. Maybe btw a tsp and a tbsp in a whole pot?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Serious question

Are American accents as exotic and attractive to UK/Aussies as UK/Aussie accents are to Americans??

Just wondering!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Lol. Enjoying some Keith Urban right now, Brooksie. Watching American Idol. I love Aussie accents.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
back and pinto beans so it's healthy!
I meant kidney beans, not pinto!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Are American accents as exotic and attractive to UK/Aussies as UK/Aussie accents are to Americans??

Just wondering!
Southern accents always sound very seductive and homey and the ones from the mid west (?) like Illinois and Minnesota (as in Fargo ?) are kinda weird !
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

..and Boston - just weird!

I had a horrible day yesterday. I experienced a total funk of a day - hugely anxious and in the depths of anxiety. I seem to experience this every two or three months and have done for a long time, irrespective of drinking (I think). It seems to centre around a sort of hypochondria. I decided, with the arrival of a sore throat (now gone!) that I probably had cancer. I know that sounds extreme and irrationally bonkers. It is and if I got this sort of episode more than occasionally - and usually only for a day or so I would try to get myself referred to a psychiatrist I think.

I have never shared this particular quirk of mine before.

Today my throat if fine and I am fine. I will be sober today and attend an AA meeting tonight both of which will do me good!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Southern accents always sound very seductive and homey and the ones from the mid west (?) like Illinois and Minnesota (as in Fargo ?) are kinda weird !
Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
..and Boston - just weird!
Interesting. I wasn't even thinking about the whole geographic factor! I don't have a geographic accent. My southern roots come out in certain words I say, but people often think I'm from Cali.

I guess I find east midland UK accents weird but awesome, but I can't really understand them.

(I had to google polo mint the other day.) Polo mint = Lifesavers!

Mentium, I hope you have a better day today!! Glad you were able to make it to a meeting.

Kaneda - I can't wait to hear about your retreat! It sounds pretty great.

I'm up and headed to my 7:15 meeting! I have a pretty busy day today. Have a good one Septembers!!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

~~~Food for thought ~ Thursday Edition~~~
~~~If You Will Plant ~ The Farmer's Creed~~~

~~~Good Morning/Night/Afternoon ~ They say in life that "You reap what you sow, and I believe that to the core. You cannot look for a harvest if you haven't sowed any seeds. The harvest in our lives will be comparable to what seeds we have sown beforehand so the mental meal today is about just that...Njoy!!!~~~

~~~If You Plant~~~
If you plant honesty, you will reap trust.
If you plant goodness, you will reap friends.
If you plant humility, you will reap greatness.
If you plant perseverance, you will reap victory.
If you plant consideration, you will reap harmony.
If you plant hard work, you will reap success.
If you plant forgiveness, you will reap reconciliation.
If you plant openness, you will reap intimacy.
If you plant patience, you will reap improvements.
If you plant faith, you will reap miracles.

But:

If you plant dishonesty, you will reap distrust.
If you plant selfishness, you will reap loneliness.
If you plant pride, you will reap destruction.
If you plant envy, you will reap trouble.
If you plant laziness, you will reap stagnation.
If you plant bitterness, you will reap isolation.
If you plant greed, you will reap loss.
If you plant gossip, you will reap enemies.
If you plant worries, you will reap wrinkles.
If you plant sin, you will reap guilt.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

On accents, I used to have a fairly strong Boston one. But I had to temper it and say my "R's" once I was working in Harvard Square. International crowd and they had trouble when I would say, "Dollah, Quawtah" for the cost of their items. Had to start saying Dollerrrrr, quarterrrrr." LOL. Now, I think I mix it up. I am also one of those people who adopt accents from others. If I spend enough time with you, I will pick up phrases and some funky words. It is embarrassing! So, now, I may sound more like my husband's accent, which is central NY, and can be "weird" much like the midwest accents, to my ear.

Even around Boston area, we have several distinct accents. North shore, The "Kennedy" accent, Southie, North End/Italian crowd, etc... I can barely understand my own brother sometimes! he has a strong Boston accent and I have lost so much of mine. And once you get into the depth of suburbia, I do not think there is a strong accent anymore. Pretty neutral, as people are from all over here, including many international families.

Dreams. Who is the dream analyzer among us? No drinking in this one, which is good, and amazing, since I was back in college in it, lol. It was more a dream of trying to get to and from my dorm room, and the elevator kept malfunctioning, taking me to the wrong floor. I was running late, and forgot to shower. So, I was trying to rush around, to get to my room, shower and get to a class. However, I was not overly stressed, just a little. Interspersed in that scenario, i was running into people and sharing friendly greetings. One was an old coworker, and employer, and we had a nice hug, and she introduced me to her class and we were both genuinely happy to see one another.

So, what does it all mean? A little like the one where I am trying to dial a phone and keep hitting wrong numbers(the elevator thing. It has that same sort of feeling).

I never did get back to my room. I had to wake up. Then, my daughter really was oversleeping and late. I drove her to the bus sto with a granola bar for breakfast.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Dreams. Who is the dream analyzer among us? No drinking in this one, which is good, and amazing, since I was back in college in it, lol. It was more a dream of trying to get to and from my dorm room, and the elevator kept malfunctioning, taking me to the wrong floor. I was running late, and forgot to shower. So, I was trying to rush around, to get to my room, shower and get to a class. However, I was not overly stressed, just a little. Interspersed in that scenario, i was running into people and sharing friendly greetings. One was an old coworker, and employer, and we had a nice hug, and she introduced me to her class and we were both genuinely happy to see one another.

So, what does it all mean? A little like the one where I am trying to dial a phone and keep hitting wrong numbers(the elevator thing. It has that same sort of feeling).

I never did get back to my room. I had to wake up. Then, my daughter really was oversleeping and late. I drove her to the bus sto with a granola bar for breakfast.
I'm no dream analyzer but if I were, I'd say that your dorm room/showering might represent something that makes you feel prepared/confident (think about how you feel before v. after showering) and that something in your life is preventing you or distracting you from achieving that feeling or goal, hence the people and wrong buttons.

That is my completely inexperienced interpretation!

I had a craazy dream last night that, on some level unbeknownst to me, had to do with AA. It wasn't a drinking dream because I was in recovery and socializing with people in the program, but I was acting drunk (and coked up) in the dream and couldn't explain why because I had not taken anything. It got much weirder. There were some sci-fi/fantasy aspects, a gun fight where a strip club was shot up by supernatural mafia men, and a little bit of x rated girl-on-girl stuff too!

At one point I woke up in a strip club in San Diego and had no idea how I got there. I thought I had been roofied (at one point I said that I was not going to restart my day count if I was drugged against my will ) but it turned out I was teleported. Soo weird. Someone analyze THAT!!

Anyway I'm putting of doing step work. I hate writing about/reliving my old drinking years, but it is a necessary evil!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello gals and boys....catch with you later...finishing my day duty right now!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi, y'all! As to accents, let's just say if we were all in one room, it wouldn't be hard to tell the general area I'm from. Got "busted" at work the other day--called my pal (a male nurse) "Honey" and got ribbed by a male respiratory therapist. I told them it just comes out, I don't even think about it. There were patient family around who probably heard the exchange. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever be in trouble for improper speech. Just so you know, I'm old enough that nobody mistakes my addresses for a come-on. Definitely homey, not seductive.

Brooksie--in your post above that starts with "Honey", I thought you were fixing to address someone! Seriously.

Thinking about Kane today--hope he finds all he seeks and more from this meditation experience.

Mentium, sorry about the anxiety issues. I hope today is a much better day.

Weird dream, Rochele. Kinda reminds me of the one I still have once in a while: it's the day of the final exam, and I've forgotten to go to class all semester long! Gives me the anxious shivers to this day.

Thinking about prioritizing the most important things in our lives. I readily understand those who put their children's safety and well-being first, as Lillian said. I've read several places that we should focus on our sobriety as the most important thing right now. So I made a little agreement with God that while I know He's number one always, let that be understood while I tell myself that sobriety is number 1. Then I woke up in the night and thought about sobriety, and the AV started in on me! In the middle of the night?? Really? I started having doubts that I could stay sober, because in my mind, having the highest goal be about a deprivation imparts a negative aspect to it.

So this morning, I changed the thought up a bit, and now my number one goal is to remember why I want to be sober. If I do that, then following through on not drinking is the logical conclusion. Funny these tricks of the mind, but I thought I'd share this in case it may be helpful to someone else.

Fish, hope all is well with you!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi ya, fifth! So great to be seeing you here.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I don't know anything about dreams, so I'm no help but I'm pretty sure we could sell Brooksie's dream to Martin Scorcese for his next movie. Wow!

My favorite part was the determination that the day count would not be adjusted since you were drugged against your will.

Someone analyze THAT!!
Too much chili before bedtime??
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Too much chili before bedtime??
If that's the case, I'm eating chili before bed again tonight!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I ve missed a lot .well done brooksie on job and 60 days. I want to go on your retreat kane hope you have a good time.
Bet no one would be able to understand a word I say . My accent is quite differnt a little ulster scots in there and I speak very quickly. Wouldnt it be fun if we all met. I don't think we would need or want a drink.
Everyone seemsvto be doing well. I read most dsys but dont get time to post.
Today was the first day in months that it was still daylight when I got home at 5pm. The snowdrops are out too so spring must be on its way. Bring on some sunshine
Ive got a sponsor and am starting my steps on monday it took me a while to ask for help, my pride got in the way, but I had to do something my head was like a washing machine and I couldnt make it stop.
Feeling much better and trying to accept what my ex h had done. Wow I refered to him as ex.
keep it up everyone nearly at the end of this long month brighter days to come xx
Old 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Lommey, I hope your sponsor will be helpful and good for you for doing something for your recovery.

Nuway, I find it more helpful to focus on the benefits of sobriety and the miserable feelings and physical sensations associated with drinking. Works much better than feeling deprived about not having a glass or three of wine. But that AV sneaks in there. I do think we can change our thinking and habits with changing the mind set, as you describe. It is my biggest strategy.

Today, feeling positive. Was out and about, working at the school, chatted with a couple of friendly acquaintances I saw there and realized how energizing it is for me to be out and with people I like.

Also shopped and brought home loads of fresh produce for green smoothies, and/or Kale chips, and generally more fresh and healthful cooking. All the same ingredients can work cooked or in soups as well, so I have options. Also got some fresh fruits for the kids.

My weight had been down in Spetember into October, and it has gone up since and over the holidays and stayed there. Got to get back to my usual routines. The sobriety struggle seems to et me up for binging or eating more sweets and carbs, on top of the holidays. It cannot be sustained that way. I am just substituting other vices that harm my health if I do that.

So, going to try to be more disciplined, in all areas. Sober, food choices, and regular exercise. Always the same struggles.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Just popping in to give a virtual hug to all of my pals. First day of classes today - been super busy. Love you guys!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Accents don't go there Lol a strong Welsh one think Tom Jones or Catherine zeta Jones both from my neck of the woods no hope for me lol
Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Battery on its lasts legs but I must say you're a wonderful soul and I'm honoured to call you friend

That's the message I got tonight from my buddest friend meant a lot