View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
SoberMarathon

Originally Posted by TheAceFace View Post
The same as what I was doing when I was drinking, just without the drink. That may sound weird but it's true. I'd drink at home while watching the tv, now I'll just watch tv without the beer in my hand. I'm not going to let this dictate the rest of my life, I'll still go to pubs, still go out with my mates etc, I'll just be the one holding something non alcoholic. I honestly believe the key to this is living a normal life and not basing everything around what would minimise temptations. That to me would end up being a pretty miserable existence.
Hi Ace...I've had this same attitude since the time I first started to try and give up drinking over a year ago. For me, this approach clearly hasn't worked. Sure I have been to a pub and managed not to drink. I've also been to parties and stayed sober. But...I haven't changed enough of my past activities that are associated with drinking and have put myself at a high risk of relapse and eventually caved, multiple times. Some things are easier said than done and I just want to share my experience, that's all. A lot of my friends were more drinking buddies than friends. I honestly don't think I can hang out with them anymore, not if I'm true about my commitment to sobriety.