Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 23

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

So much for me posting once a day! Had a bad day at work the other day. My ADD is making it hard to remember stuff at work. I feel like I'm failing daily. Been there two months and I feel like I'm still making a lot of mistakes. It's sort of frustrating. Is two months two early to have everything figured out? Maybe I'm just being hard on myself. I'm just not very good at multi tasking, but my biofeedback treatments and no alcohol or caffeine and using essential oils is definitely helping. My brain function has increased from 49% to 85% in two months.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by workoholic View Post
I have a sad thing to share. My dad who quit in June has had a relapse. Mom found out he had been drinking in secret. I thought he was still taking antabuse regularly and thus didn't complain about alcohol still being in their house.
Got her phonecall on my home from work It had been a pretty good monday up until that point.

This disease sucks.
This disease does suck, Work. Sending strength your way.

Hard to watch I'm sure. What does your mom want to do?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
So much for me posting once a day! Had a bad day at work the other day. My ADD is making it hard to remember stuff at work. I feel like I'm failing daily. Been there two months and I feel like I'm still making a lot of mistakes. It's sort of frustrating. Is two months two early to have everything figured out? Maybe I'm just being hard on myself. I'm just not very good at multi tasking, but my biofeedback treatments and no alcohol or caffeine and using essential oils is definitely helping. My brain function has increased from 49% to 85% in two months.
Mama, I have always thought it takes a full year to feel like I am ready to handle whatever my job serves up. I am not sure what type of job you are doing, but go easy on yourself. You are going through a significant personal change as well as learning the ropes in a new job. And with ADD you have even more of a challenge. Unless you are causing real problems at work or are receiving pressure or lots of negative feedback from your superiors, I wouldn't worry too much. The things that are tripping you up today most likely won't be an issue in a few weeks. Hang in there!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Work, I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully you are an inspiration to him and he will get back on track.

83mama, I feel as if I am very scatterred and distracted at times. It makes me afraid to get a job! I bet the booze does it to us. Hopefully time will make it imrpove, and it does sound like it is for you. I have always been a bit that way and both my kids are actually diagnosed ADHD, non-hyper type.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

So sorry workoholic I wish your Dad the best your right this disease sucks and is sad.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

thaaaaaanks for the support guys. Not entirely sure wht will happen but I have hope. Also I don't think my mom has given up on him entirely yet. He hasn't tried more than antabuse medication so far, havent gone to AA or therapy or rehab. He seemed to be doing better than me, perhaps too good.
Mom has calmed down abit and I skyped my sister for an hour. Like you said, I need to set a good example, none of us, any of us are hopeless. My mum poured out all the alcohol at home, fancy and cheap after I told her to. It's a start, It is more tempting to stop medicating antabuse with wine and brandy etc at home than in a bottle free home..
Goimg to sleep, thanks for the support and hugs!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back BLK

Hope you feel better tomorrow Fish

sorry to hear about your Dad worko - this alcoholism thing is relentless.

Mama - it took me a few months to really start firing on all cylinders - it just shows you how badly drinking messes us up, hey?

Have a good rest of your day everyone

D
Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

What's weird is I think I'm an alcoholic because I'm a weak minded individual. But when you watch your parents suffer from this disease it really makes you think. Your parents are supposed to be the two strongest people that you ever meet and when you see them going through this it makes you realize how big of a problem alcohol really is. I always thought my dad could kick the boogeymans ass but he couldn't kick alcohol...
Old 01-13-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Good morning all, its getting even hotter today. We will crack the century mark, Fahrenheit wise.

Had a strange night. I kept dreaming about moods; I had these euphoric moments and then keep questioning whether I was in a pink cloud again. Slept badly as a result. Oh well. I went to another Buddhist centre last night. It was much grander than the last place I went. A beautiful Georgian mansion and the meditation hall was impressive with high ceilings and many Buddhist statues. Also, there were at least 60-70 folks attending. I didnt think my home town had so many budding Buddhists Having said that, I felt that the teacher was mediocre. THat view is tainted by the fact that I had heard/read a lot of what he was teaching before. I just didnt get a good vibe this time. Hopefully, next week will be better. I am back on the job hunt for the new year. I dont feel particularly anxious about it though I know I need to push on and persevere. The economy is not doing so well and my home town is small, so jobs that fit my background will be scarce. I will need to also look at different locations. That sucks as I want to be with my girls. Keep calm and carry on I suppose....

Workoholic: sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he gets into a program of sorts

Rochele: I hope the meds treatment works out

Fishy: take care, mate ! Not fun being ill on a holiday. Keep vigilant re the booze

Have a lovely evening/day ! Thanks to all !

Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Evening all, sorry to hear about your dad, workoholic- its so hard to get ourselves straight but when those around us slip its even harder- it can feel helpless at times , my friend is still off the wagon but im hoping and praying they get back on track soon, all we can do is offer support and advice, but at the end of the day its up to them to make the change. Hope things work out well for you and your dad.

Had a good day today, bit achy but felt content in what I have achieved. Went to get some school clothes for my eldest and dropped them off at my ex's, and we got on well, her mother is an alcoholic in denial and shes been back on it everyday since new year, it does seem to be a bad time of year for people slipping. Been to an AA meeting the last two nights and last nights was great but tonights wasn't- hit and miss I guess?! Its frustrating at times there were twenty people in tonights and only 4 shared such was the length of the shares.

Off to bed soon, so il catch up again tomorrow. Best wishes everyone
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Blkdiesel: good to have you posting ! Your break sounds very positive

Melina/UI/Plenny: come back !
Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Fish, your story proves just how scary addiction is.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

It's diabolical! And that's coming from me, a very secular roman catholic from the agnostic peoples republic Sweden...
Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Checking in because that's what I do now!

Not a lot to report except that my partner was away at her parent's overnight and with one thing and another I missed the usual and biggest AA meeting of the week. I find I really do miss them too. I have begun to enjoy them. Still there is one tonight.

All the best to everyone.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

still dealing with daughter depression. Appointment made her more depressed. Nurse was not helping to reassure her, but taking a tough love apporach and daughter is really quite fragile now. Mommabear is thinking we will be driving the hour to see our old, kind nurse. She used to practice close by, but moved to a single office an hour away.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thinking of you and your daughter Rochele - best wishes

D
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Morning!

Rochele - sorry to hear about your daughter. She's lucky she has an attentive, sober mom to take care of her!!

I haven't done sh*t in the past two days (made a meeting Sunday but not yesterday). I read all day instead. It was half isolation/half self-care. Monday night is my favorite meeting and I could have made it to the meeting but I flaked for a dumb reason, which I am taking care of today!

My cravings have been stronger than usual, dunno if it's hormones or something else, but I'm not going to sit around and let my cravings get the better of me!

The end of last week was really good and I don't want to completely lose my momentum. I'm headed to the gym in a little bit and then to a meeting and then getting back into a more productive routine!

It's rainy here but not cold, which I am happy about!

Have a good day everyone!!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

~~~Food for thought ~ Tuesday Edition~~~
~~~Forgive Yourself First~~~

Forgive yourself first. Release the need to replay a negative situation over and over again in your mind. Don't become a hostage to your past by always reviewing and reliving your mistakes. Don't remind yourself of what should have, could have or would have been. Release it and let it go. Move on.

You can't change the past, but you can determine that your past will not define your present, or dictate your future. Forgive your former self...for the way that it may have sabotaged your present options. Recognize that the ability to create a new life lies in the ability to forgive yourself first, and to make peace with your past. You have GREATNESS within you!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by workoholic View Post
It's diabolical! And that's coming from me, a very secular roman catholic from the agnostic peoples republic Sweden...
lmao I didn't know Sweden was so devoid of spirituality. Sorry!

Kane, the Georgian mansion sounds beautiful ~ I have found that sometimes it takes me awhile to get into a class or teaching. Patience Grasshopper. And dreams...I've had some weird ones lately. Our mind working things out I think. It's a good thing.

Rochele, sending prayers your way. Your daughter is so lucky to have you.

Mentium, I think it's great you're attending the meetings if they help you. Nice to spend time doing something you actually enjoy. I have started to read the Big Book. It isn't a page turner, but I'll stick with it.

Brooksie, stay busy!! Idol hands are the Devil's workshop, as my grandma used to say (who didn't live in Godless Sweden).

Good to have you back Diesel~~~~~~

I'm off to work. I've turned into Wor Kaholic this week, and it's only slightly better than her friend Al Coholic. I'm not enjoying all this work and no sleep.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Oh, and about alcoholism being a sign of a weak-minded individual. Alcoholism attacks indiscriminately in my opinion....weak and strong, smart and dumb, Republican and Democrat.

Fish, I have to say this because I'm your friend. I'm really worried about you going on this cruise. It's going to be very difficult to protect your sobriety. I hope you have fun though ~ it would be fun to take parents on such a beautiful gift. My mom is gone now, but I would have loved to do that for her before cancer took her. My dad is still here, and I have been wanting to take him to Washington D.C....you're making me think about that in a higher priority. He's 71.