Class of August 2013 - Part 7

Old 11-27-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it

D
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Dee. Thank you for all the sage advice you have shared with us!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Down in Calif myself this week. Headed to the Marin County coast tomorrow for a hike and dinner with friends. Fortunately no one is a heavy drinker. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and stay strong!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Great photos! I want some socks like that- sizable Chinese socks out here are hard to find actually...
Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andreajp View Post
Sean: way to go! (Haha! Had to say it.) seriously though, you are doing wonderfully.

W2r: so sorry for you and yours. Sending thoughts of comfort and contentment.

Elsewhere: I'm thinking f you, sending lots of positive vibes your way!

Jdooner: must have posted at the same time! Just for you:
OMG! You are such a fabulous knitter! Your work is beautiful ....thought I would try to figure out how to post Pic's...but after seeing your work, may not!

Everyone enjoy a hard worked for sober thanksgiving !
Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving to my American SR friends!!

Knitting is a serious obsession for me. It is the one thing I have that keeps me grounded. I use it to still my mind but I also use it for inspiration. It's like meditation for me, and aside from the amazing support here, and from my family, it has gotten me through the toughest moments in this journey. It really helps to have something i do, just me, that i can really escape into when i need to. Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my socks I enjoyed knitting them very much.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Amazing socks! So talented.! I surely understand the meditation part.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
Amazing socks! So talented.! I surely understand the meditation part.
How is it going in California?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving is drawing near. I am thankful for my sobriety.

My kindest wishes to all the classmates! Dee, thank you so much for being our thoughtful, supportive moderator and friend on this journey. You are so very appreciated!

Congrats, FG and Dooner, on your milestones! Hip, hip, hooray, guys!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Truthfully California is challenging. My family is hard to take all at once. There is much hi- level nervous energy among them. They are big drinkers, some of them, but that's ok. There's Vicodin here and lots of it. I haven't even looked at one but I'm getting tired from all the anxiety and staying awake half the night. I feel like I will be ok, however. I made pies all day ( that's my expertise) and that was fun because they came out very nice.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
Truthfully California is challenging. My family is hard to take all at once. There is much hi- level nervous energy among them. They are big drinkers, some of them, but that's ok. There's Vicodin here and lots of it. I haven't even looked at one but I'm getting tired from all the anxiety and staying awake half the night. I feel like I will be ok, however. I made pies all day ( that's my expertise) and that was fun because they came out very nice.
Happy Thanksgiving classmates.

Elseware - just promise to post if you are thinking about the pills. I know exactly what its like. Could you dump them in the toilet or have a family member get rid of them, hide them?

Do you have a sponsor or is it possible to go to a AA or NA meeting? I find listening to other addicts helps ground me and I fee better. I am not sure what it is about it but its cathartic.

Stay strong, use me if you want - I will check the site today if I can be of help.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving you all, both stateside and abroad. I'm so grateful for SR and this class in particular.

Today I'm headed over to my neighbor's for dinner. I went to their house last year too, but left before we ate, claiming that I didn't feel good. I didn't...I was hungover, and I wanted to go back home to drink. Urgh. Here's to new traditions.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I'm thankful you are finding ways to keep your mind off the pills elsewhere. Stay strong!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Cooked dinner for eight and really enjoyed it...turkey wasn't dried out due to extended happy hour and I remember everything I eat! Maybe that's not so good!!
Hope you all have made it thru ok ! thought of all of you and your challenges today and so very thankful I found you!
X
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi there.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I just had the craziest fight with myself. Living with an addiction is like living with a hormonal 13 year old girl in your brain that is stomping around throwing things and yelling vulgarities.

" I could really use a drink right now, wouldn't a big glass of wine be nice after this crazy day at work?."

"No. I don't want to drink, I don't ever want to go there again."

"What?! Never. You are never going to drink again?? Never what about Christmas? And vacations?"

"No. No I don't ever want to drink again. I don't need alcohol to enjoy situations"

"That is stupid! You are stupid!" Stomp stomp stomp

"I can do this, I am stronger than this, I don't need to listen to this"

"But seriously? Never again? Surely you aren't an alcoholic, surely you will be able to drink again some day"

It is insane! The cycle of thoughts that run through my head, it feels like it isn't me, like I am battling with another person, and she is one booze hungry biotch!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hey Andrea! Sounds like you took the upper hand with the biotch! Stay strong, friend!

Interesting how we personify our addict voices. Your description of a hormonal 13-year-old girl is pretty funny; you've got a nice flair for writing.

When I think of mine, I think of Mick Jagger singing "Sympathy for the Devil" ... perhaps I'll write about that sometime.

Hope all are getting through the holidays -- and Sean is blissfully enjoying the day in China.

Elseware -- check in when you can. I've been thinking of you today, friend.

Venecia
Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep fighting Andrea - eventually you'll notice that other voice simply isn't there anymore

D
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Andrea, I think I know that biotch! Good on you for recognizing that voice.

I've been craving the past couple of days...I'm definitely feeling the pull of the holidays and the seduction of time off of work and not having to wake early. Today at my neighbor's house, her husband (who teaches at a different university in my town) was complaining about his students and said, "I don't know how anyone who teaches undergraduates these days can not go home and have at least a couple scotches every night." I think it was more for effect, as he's a beer drinker, and a normie at that. But my AV (or shall we call her biotch) latched onto that in a nanosecond. "Yeah. Of course I need to drink. How could I not after dealing with students all day" and so on. For a second I felt hypnotized by the lure of self-medication. It scared me how susceptible I was to even entertaining those thoughts, but it passed fairly quickly.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Well, it's Thanksgiving night at what? 10:00 PM. My Aunt ( who happens to be about my age ) and I cooked dinner for 18 people. All family. We shopped and cooked for three days straight. It was some good eating. I am simply exhausted. I only had a few passing thoughts of starting up my old habits. But there were some things I noticed about myself that are going to bear some looking into. My personality is so complicated. I knew that I guess, but it has been rather staring me in the face the last few days dealing with the old family dynamics. I have a lot of catching up to do so I just want to tell you all I've been thinking of you even though I'm behind on all your posts. I will catch up soon. I did read something about a couple of loud-mouth biotch's?! I have one of those in my head, too. She's a doozy! And she's mean.