Class of August 2013 - Part 7

Old 11-25-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Elseware

D
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Make us proud Elseware! You got this. I head down to in laws tomorrow but excited there should be less fights with me sober. Enjoy California...post here often we are here for you.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I know you can do it, Elseware! If you're having a moment, post about it in the limericks thread. Loved reading your rhymes yesterday.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Good Luck Elseware! Best wishes.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Lol, George. Is your new avatar Fozzy the bear? He looks like a familiar relic from childhood.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

You can do this, Elseware! Check in often! Work your plan!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
Down in California with my family. Already feeling tense. Wish me luck. I sneaked away for a quick post. Love to you all!
Good luck! As I try to tell myself , stay in the moment!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Morning. I'm still hanging on okay!

My environment here has a lot of tension in it and I'll be pleased to be able to keep the lid on my job until the summer, but then the contract ends and I've told my manager I won't be asking to renew.

The unsettled way I still sometimes feel I'm sure is due in part to the problems here. Many jobs of course are stressful and the grass isn't always greener, but the management here had me in the office the other day telling me circuitously that they agree with the critical suggestions I make but that nothing much is going to change, so if I send any more staff group emails I'll lose my job. Attend to the messenger not the message- great...!

When I was drinking I could make a long list of the advantages of not drinking and now I'm very pleased to say I have all of those- and this dumb job isn't going to take them away.

One thing I've got coming up, in a couple of months, is a three week break when I have family coming to see me- with the fine way things are going I won't be looking to break my sobriety, but my father's already talking about having a drink with me. I'll get round it though.

Good to talk; best, Sean
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Thanks my Kiddos.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
w2r

My father is 97 and is in serious condition in the hospital.
He has been ill for 4 weeks now. After working all day and watching him in such bad shape this evening, the thought of a nice large glass of wine to unwind is very appealing.

But....that's why I bought the box of Chamomile tea.
Good night folks.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Way to go Sean. I would think with your incredible breadth and depth of travel and cultural experiences you won't have any problems with employment. Maybe even Lonely Planet or something similar. Good for you for not putting up with a bad situation for too long. Sounds great that family is coming to visit you good luck with your father.

My dad was a drinker, and also heavily traveled, spending most of his career overseas. It was always hard for me to relate to him as a kid because he just wasn't around much, although he had incredible stories to share. Then in later years he struggled to control his drinking. I swore I would never follow suit but of course I did.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers/best wishes for you and your dad w2r.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hi advbike

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Way to go Sean. I would think with your incredible breadth and depth of travel and cultural experiences you won't have any problems with employment. Maybe even Lonely Planet or something similar. Good for you for not putting up with a bad situation for too long. Sounds great that family is coming to visit you good luck with your father.

My dad was a drinker, and also heavily traveled, spending most of his career overseas. It was always hard for me to relate to him as a kid because he just wasn't around much, although he had incredible stories to share. Then in later years he struggled to control his drinking. I swore I would never follow suit but of course I did.
Thanks pal, some interesting lines of yours there. Lonely Planet is an idea but actually I don't like the populist changes in its tone over the last few years; you still got to buy the damn things though.

And I think I'm quite likely to have some trouble finding a job I really like; I can drive a bus actually and I'd like to do some driving abroad...

My father isn't someone who's due any great respect but he's done a lot for me also.

Can I ask an unusual question? I'm only a Brit and sometimes don't get every word of American English. Could you expand on the phrase Way to go ? Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Sean,

Urban Dictionary: way to go

Great site, and very explicit help for jargon of all varieties....

Helps to translate things teenagers say too...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hello, Classmates!

Sean -- Sounds like a lot going on for you right now. Stay strong my friend -- you've got lots of support here. And "way to go" is an Americanism for "you did something great!" Which is what you're doing. So way to go, Sean!

W2R -- I'm so sorry to hear that your father is doing poorly. There is something to be said for making 97 years. Glad to hear that you're planning ahead. Chamomile tea is a good start. (I just bought some to try to help with sleep. It seemed to help some last night.) Sounds like this is a time to concentrate on sobriety and keep living in the solution. The coming period may well be fraught with difficulty. It is a test but it is one you can endure.

Advbike -- Hugs. I know whereof you speak. Mine went cold turkey about 20 years ago. (I'm a third-generation addict.) A better life is underway for all of us. Proud of you!

Elseware -- Been thinking of you and sending positive vibes to California. You can do this, lovely lady! Is the weather nice where you are? Maybe you can slip out for some pleasant, healing walks in the warm California sun.

All Classmates -- The holidays aren't easy, especially when we are hard on ourselves. This year, we have much for which to be grateful. Good to bear that in mind over the next few days, right? May they be peaceful, happy and sober.

Live in the solution.

Gobble, gobble,
Venecia
Old 11-27-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Good stuff foolsgold & venecia

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Sean,

Urban Dictionary: way to go

Great site, and very explicit help for jargon of all varieties....

Helps to translate things teenagers say too...
Old 11-27-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Sean: way to go! (Haha! Had to say it.) seriously though, you are doing wonderfully.

W2r: so sorry for you and yours. Sending thoughts of comfort and contentment.

Elsewhere: I'm thinking f you, sending lots of positive vibes your way!

Jdooner: must have posted at the same time! Just for you:

Last edited by Sheknits; 02-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

3 months today - thanks everyone. Posted a book about it in Newcomers section. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

We are inspecting the new horse today.

FG - congrats to 3 months also

WR2 bet to your dad - pos vibes.

Elseware, sure you hang in strong - no worries about you.

Sean sounds like your making the right choices - your better than that job anyhow.

Venecia and Ocean - looking forward to some nice knitting pics.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Great socks Andrea!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Way to go on 3 months jd!

Read your other post - nice summary of your journey to date.