Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 2

Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
TKS

Hi Redmanc, good to see you back. Hang in there, mate. Are you attending any sort of meetings?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Thanks TKS. No meetings yet. Think my pals might plan an intervention tonight!

Where in Oz are you- do you recommend meetings?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
TKS

I'm in Sydney, and only new to this myself (18 days) Will send you a private message, otherwise my opinions on typical meetings may get shot down.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Cheers! In Sydney myself. What you clean off? Drink?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
TKS

Just sent you a msg. Yes, I was drinking 100+ standard drinks a week, smoking heavily, using bizarre, untested research chemicals and gambling.

Oh and everyone, its day three for no cigarettes for me, and its really hard not to simply go and buy a pack. The urges are so much stronger than that for alcohol. Wish me luck !
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Good luck!

I stopped smoking early 20's then started again about 2yrs ago as I found it helped bring my heroin high on!

Cigs are hard! Great work so far!

Bizarre untested chemicals? Like E's you mean?!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SLB1968 View Post
I don't know if this makes sense or not but for me it worked. Back about 3 years ago, I was dry for about 6 months while I got ready to compete in a boydbuilding contest. For those familiar with the sport, at least on the Natural side, it's as much a diet contest as anything else. At first I dreaded going to cookouts or other events where food and alcohol would be served. While people would be eating Baby Back Ribs and Pints of Summer Ale, I was having 5.5oz. of chicken breast, almonds, green beans and a Perrier.

what I personally found was that the opposite of my fear occured. Instead of being tried and beaten, each time I faced down this challenge it only galvanized my resolve. Ironically, I began to look forward to it because I felt like I had power.

Maybe for you, walking out of work each day and seeing that pub is like facing down the Beast. Once you realize that you have the power, you're good to go.

Read my sig below. Its the last passage from an Old Led Zep song but it's there to speak to this very situation.
Well put!!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Wow, made it 10 days now and I feel fooking great! If I can do it, anyone can. Not that 10 days is a big deal...but it is for me, though. I know the alcohol was starting to affect my mind and memory as well. However I'm feeling my sense of thinking is starting to sharpen up a bit too. Nice not being in a haze for most of the day. Thanks for the all the stories and inspiration.

Originally Posted by RedManc7 View Post
Thanks TKS. No meetings yet. Think my pals might plan an intervention tonight!

Where in Oz are you- do you recommend meetings?
RedMan, I see your pain in your posts and I feel for you, brother. If your pals don't go through with the intervention you need to SAC UP and get some help on your own! It's time!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hi SR friends, so good to read all the posts today. I'm on day 2 (again). Went back to work today. School starts back up next week.

Felt good to wake up refreshed today--I generally self-sabotage before the beginning of the semester (and um, well, every day of the semester). Went to the gym after work and in for the night with my Pellegrino.

This will be my 4th year in this city--I moved here for a job. Every day for the past three years, I have felt foggy, dehydrated and generally icky and unfocused. And every day I have told myself that 'I won't drink tonight', but I always do. So I'm going to do something different this year. I can't live like that anymore!

Anyhoo, that's my plan. Going to stay in the moment as best I can. Onward to day 3!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Talking

Day 15, check in! Who would have thought the Turtle could go 15 hrs let a known 15 days... Without a drink...

I would say it gets easier every day.. But that would be somewhat of a lie.. It has gotten easier to shut my AV up but yet it's very smart and sneaks into conversations when not needed lol. ' you've made 8 days its okay to have just one ' 'you've had a hard day at work... You deserve it.. It's been a wk'... Now that I think my body is settling down... I'm starting to feel 'comfortable' living sober.... That's where I think it's starting to become very tricky for me.... I have a sense of 'power' to something I know I'm totally powerless against... Just have to keep telling myself that...

Better news.... My SO surprised me with a chocolate on chocolate cake for 15 days... (SUGAR my new addiction - at least im being honest with myself) Yippie... That's one thing I keep forgetting to do for myself... And that is rewarding myself per the doctors orders lol...

I'm also shocked at how much $$ I've wasted.... In 15 days I've saved 396.47 more than I normally would.. The cost of Drinks and the extra cigarettes... There is a gentleman in AA saved enough for his down payment on his first home in just 18 months.. It made me set down and calculate my own AV spending... I almost threw up at the avg. yearly spending! That's another motivator for me!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Good job Caged!!! Doing good !!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Turtle: I think that cage door is open now.

The money I saved was a big motivator for me also. I was in arrears because I was choosing vodka over paying bills.

I was able to fix all that with sobriety.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for a new thread:

new part here-

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D