Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 9

Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Roasted possum - I want you to have the full southern experience. Maybe one afternoon we'll cook up some chitlins and poke salad.
You may get your beloved death row meal after all, W. In summary, your hospitality plan involves a) grossing us all out and then b) poisoning us?! That's quite the Southern experience! Kentucky is officially part of the midwest, right? It would certainly explain the scampi & pasta diamond in the skin & innards rough.

How are things in the recovery palace? Those staples should be coming out soon, non?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
Sorry you're feeling some restlessness, Reeny. You deserve a lot of respect for doing whatever it takes to not go back to drinking. I hope you and your son enjoy the time together while he's home from school.

Thanks, Like2Hike and LizG. I'm determined to stay strong. Maybe it just takes a while to find what works in a sober life. Overstep the mark? Not at all, Liz. You are so kind and supportive to take the time to remind me of my words. My son spotted me on this forum today. He didn't say anything but I know he knows so maybe it's time...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
You may get your beloved death row meal after all, W. In summary, your hospitality plan involves a) grossing us all out and then b) poisoning us?! That's quite the Southern experience! Kentucky is officially part of the midwest, right? It would certainly explain the scampi & pasta diamond in the skin & innards rough.

How are things in the recovery palace? Those staples should be coming out soon, non?
Liz,
Ha ha! Things are well here - getting stronger each day. I expect to discard the walker in a week. My doc didn't do staples. I got the big, Frankenstein-style stitches - creepy looking - I think they come out on 27 June. Thanks to you and all my SR friends for making the road to recovery brighter.
Best,
W
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Reeny, hope you continue to feel stronger. I have 3 grown sons, too. Third just graduated from VA Tech. I haven't told them about my alcoholism and recovery, although it is apparent and they notice. ("Mom, you look and sound so healthy and happy.")I need to figure out the when and where to tell them. Any suggestions? All are living in own places, one in VA, one in NYC and married one in CA.

I hope you can start to enjoy your sober free time with your son. I found that when our youngest was home last week I was able to enjoy the laughter and fun with him and friends feeling quite clear and present, a great feeling.

One of my motivations for continued sobriety is the idea that I may be a grandma someday. (!?)
Kids would never trust a drunk Grammie to take care of a baby.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianowoman View Post
Grammie
My first grandchild arrived 2 months ago. I am so glad I was not living in the fog anymore. He is such a joy, and I want him to know a clear-headed papaw that will be a pal and teach him all the things that a strong southern man should know. You will love being a grandma!
2013-05-26 14.49.08.jpg
Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My first grandchild arrived 2 months ago. I am so glad I was not living in the fog anymore. He is such a joy, and I want him to know a clear-headed papaw that will be a pal and teach him all the things that a strong southern man should know. You will love being a grandma!
Oh my, he's adorable. Congratulations! Now if that's not motivation to put down the beer can, I don't know what is!

Last edited by LizG; 06-21-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: verb required!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nice grandson, Woodhead! Not to belabor a dead subject, but how much do you Aussies pay for Vegemite down there? I was going to buy some yesterday when I nsaw that Wegmans was asking $7.99 for a fist-sized jar! At that price i could buy a filet mignon or a lobster tail! From now on I'll look at it as the caviar of Australia (you did say it was salty, right?)

Reeny, DON'T GIVE IN! It is much harder to get your sobriety back after you let it go. The drinking pleasure is a trap--it'll never be the same sensation. Don't do it!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Liz,
Ha ha! Things are well here - getting stronger each day. I expect to discard the walker in a week. My doc didn't do staples. I got the big, Frankenstein-style stitches - creepy looking - I think they come out on 27 June. Thanks to you and all my SR friends for making the road to recovery brighter.
Best,
W
Aha, so you'll graduate to a cane soon? Your right arm will get a great workout & you'll be able to zap around a bit quicker than with the walker; those 10 vanity pounds will have melted off before you know it.

Thanks for your good humour; recovery -- alcohol, surgery or otherwise -- can be a sometimes gloomy business. I, for one, am grateful you opened up that chitlin' door …
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

chitlin' door …
Chitlin' Door - I like it a lot - may be the title of my next novel, if I ever get done with the first.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Handsome grandson, Wood. He's looks ready for a hot buttered biscuit covered in sorghum syrup.

Great posts Piano, Gilmer, and Liz. I asked my oldest teenage son if he'd noticed any change since I quit drinking. He said I seem calmer but that was about it. I think about all the hiding my drinking in my workshop and isolating myself even at home....yuck. Better times now and ahead for all of us.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Chitlin' Door - I like it a lot - may be the title of my next novel, if I ever get done with the first.
For the price of an effusive footnote, it's yours! :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Aha, so you'll graduate to a cane soon?
photo.jpgI picked this one up at a market outside Pretoria, South Africa many years ago. I gave it to my best friend who had broken his back falling off a ladder. He was a heavy drinker and my partner in crime. With pain control problems he ended up dying of respiratory failure after mixing methadone and wine. I miss him very much, and was able to get a few reminders of him including this cane. He would laugh at the irony of me having to use it now, as I was the one who carted him around after the accident. I know this is a maudlin thing I'm revealing here, but my history with this man imparts some of the reasoning behind my decision to quit drinking. I think he would smile about that.
Best,
W
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

For the price of an effusive footnote, it's yours! :-)
You got it!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great weekend everybody

D
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Woodhead, I really need that adorable motivation. Things took a real turn and I am really depressed and ALONE for the next 4 days while hubby goes on a fun Harley trip. Having a pitiful pity party for myself. Knuckles are turning white. I am hauling my sweaty a$% to a meeting.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

stick close pianowoman

D
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good weekend to you, too, Dee. You're an excellent Moderator. I help moderate a Motocross forum. Even in that "almost anything goes" format it's crazy what can go on that requires Moderator intervention.

Wood - I'm reading "Feast Day of Fools". Better get another book, though, this one much not last until I leave Sunday for camping.

Hang in there Piano. As Churchill said, "if you're walking thru hadies, keep going!". You can do it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
Wood - I'm reading "Feast Day of Fools". Better get another book, though, this one much not last until I leave Sunday for camping..
Glad you are enjoying JLB, he can't write fast enough for me. Have a great camping trip!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations grandpa!!! He is adorable. I betcha you already bought him a fishing rod
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Congratulations grandpa!!! He is adorable. I betcha you already bought him a fishing rod
Yep, got one with his name on it. Fun stuff.