Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 14

Old 05-25-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Soberjanedoe, That's not odd at all! Actually, it explains a lot. After reading the article I've experienced ASMR many times and it's a wonderful feeling. The first time was when a friend was brushing my hair in 4th or 5th grade and today my favorite thing is a scalp message. Anyway, I now know what ASMR is and it's a nice feeling, I always thought of it as warm fuzzies - and so hard to explain which is why the article is so great - there it is explained!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Random contribution of the day, from Kurt Vonnegut's A Man without a Country:

When I got home from the Second World War, my Uncle Dan clapped me on the back, and he said, “You’re a man now.” So I killed him. Not really, but I certainly felt like doing it.

Dan, that was my bad uncle, who said a male can’t be a man unless he’d gone to war.

But I had a good uncle, my late Uncle Alex. He was my father’s kid brother, a childless graduate of Harvard who was an honest life-insurance salesman in Indianapolis. He was well-read and wise. And his principal complaint about other human beings was that they so seldom noticed it when they were happy. So when we were drinking lemonade under an apple tree in the summer, say, and talking lazily about this and that, almost buzzing like honeybees, Uncle Alex would suddenly interrupt the agreeable blather to exclaim, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.”

So I do the same now, and so do my kids and grandkids. And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

Just love that. Wishing you all a little moment (or two) of happiness today.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Marcher

Well, I love that anecdote, Meso! Thank you!

Duff, I talk from experience when I say the xanax is dangerous. It's good you flushed them. I'm one of those moms you know (or I was).I was given those to take as needed and after a while, it was a daily habit. Then when tapering off of pain meds and I got hooked in no time. It was so bad, I went back to the pain meds! Then in March (our favorite month of the year!) I quit the pain meds, without the benzos. Anxiety for sure, but without the w/d of benzo. They nearly drove me to a nervous breakdown, ironic isn't it? I just had to mention my experience with that because I would not want any of my fantastic Marchers going through that. OMG, I'm just getting the willies thinking about it! Yikes!!!!

Yeah, I'm heading over to that meditation website now!
Love all!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I certainly did not mean to make light of anyone and pills. It can be a super big deal to some people. I'm sorry if I sounded that way.

I'm one of those that see pills as just pills. In fact, I hate taking them. I drink my vitamins I dislike pills so much. I had to get over some of that because of my a-fib but I did because I hate emergency room visits worse than pills.

I'm glad the pills sleep with the fishes Duff! Just keep looking forward now!!

So I know you have all told me and I knew it too but I must be stubborn or stupid or both. This exercising cr*p works! I'm feeling much better. My thighs hurt just from walking in the gym but I like it! I'm heading over now just to hop around and lift heavy things and I'll look like a goof doing it but I don't care. I'm so not the gym type. Yesterday I forgot socks and I told the trainer dude I forgot socks for my sneekers. He laughed at my sneeker reference.
Honestly, those are shoes I really dislike. I see absolutely no beauty in those at all. I may have to go find me a pair of vintage track shoes with the stripes just for fun. I may also do the high track socks. I already have a pair of Richard Simmons shorts and Olivia Newton John sweatband. No joke.

I love binural beats SoberJane! That is awesome!!

Have a great day or night everybody!

xoxo
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Honestly, those are shoes I really dislike. I see absolutely no beauty in those at all. I may have to go find me a pair of vintage track shoes with the stripes just for fun.
I think I (or you) could rock a pair of these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AsicsNeon.jpg (31.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Priceless, MeSoSo! I'll bet Shoes would like hose :-)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Chiming in on the xanax, I say taking a prescribed drug that actually belongs to someone else is just looking for trouble... first of all it is illegal, and both can get in trouble if by some odd chance you are "found out". Secondly, if you like alcohol, benzos like xanax will feel really good to you, since both are considered depressants to our central nervous system.
My DOC choice is oxys, and quite frankly, I don't get much out of the feeling of benzos or alcohol. However, depending on how addicted you are to changing the way you feel, any drug will do in a pinch.
Glad to hear you flushed them... many people struggle with addiction to benzos, and the withdrawals can be as life-threatening as the withdrawal from alcohol.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1Dayatatyme View Post
However, depending on how addicted you are to changing the way you feel, any drug will do in a pinch.
1Day, that is the best summary of addiction I've ever read. Thank you for that gem.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Marcher

Well said, 1day!

Hi, shoes! That is so great that you are getting to the gym. I even used to wear a leotard and leg warmers to work out. We would be such a hot couple of chicks going into the gym, yes?! Your personal trainer will keep you on track I hope. If you have a locker there, keep extra socks and headbands in it, just in case!

Oh! I just got a great idea! You can spray paint a pair of sneakers and glitter them! Oooooohhhh!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

MeSo that quote from Vonnegut is brilliant!

Good morning peeps. Of course what I dreaded last night was fine, there were two moments when I really really wanted to drink well... no, not wanted, felt an urge to. AV. After we had finished eating and were sitting around the table I went and got my knitting, I needed something to do with my hands and that solved it. It's certainly not what my hosting friend would do but it made me feel better and that's better than being drunk or in my case, drinking at all. With two Saturday nights in a row where drinking has been on the table it's been off my part of the table so I know I can go on with this in social situations too. I've got to practise it but I can do it.

Re the anxiety thing: I had a panic attack at an evening function thirty years ago when I was teaching. I didn't know what a panic attack was then, I thought I was going to pass out on the spot. I got a lot of help from reading the works of an Australian, the late Dr Claire Weekes. She went through anxiety when she was doing her finals as a medical doctor, she used her science background and her medical experience to work on anxiety. Her method is very very simple: you recognise panic for what it is (fight or flight response), you observe it and breathe through it. The crux of her teaching is that we begin to fear fear itself and this is what sets up the constant cycle of anxiety. It helped me to recognise that I was having a physical response to a situation which felt out of control so I could respond to it with a physical response, ie., controlled breathing.

This summary won't solve anyone's anxiety but her work is scientifically based and proven and may help after some reading and practise of her techniques.

Dr. Claire Weekes - Anxiety Superhero | Anxiety Guru | Hope and Healing
Dr Claire Weekes - Self Help Method for Your Nerves

Have a great sober weekend peeps.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Marcher! I have never heard of Dr Weekes. Im excited to have some reading viewing to do tonight! I'm always looking for things to help with my fears. Good job on the events that had drinking around and you not partaking. I'm hardly ever around anyone drinking. All my friends can take it or leave it and my man friend enjoys making his own fresh tea fruit things more than anything. I never noticed before that I was always the big drunk. Jeez.

Oh my gosh those sneakers are crazy! I'd wear them MeSo. You crack me up.

Get the leotards and leg warmers out Joy! I'll bring the sweat wrist bands too. We can do a youtube video jazzercising. Let's bring sexy back. Way back.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Joy and Shoes,
OMG... I am getting a flashback... it is 1990, and I am doing step aerobics, just like you mentioned...with those leg warmers, sweat bands, leotard, all coordinating colors, of course!!! I had quite the selection of work out "outfits" if I do say so myself... wish I had kept some of those legwarmers, I bet I could make some money on ebay... lol
Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Well done Marcher, the important thing to do in recovery is to overlay drinking memories in a certain scenario, with sober ones. Once our mind accepts we remember being somewhere sober and enjoyed it, that mental urge to drink dissipates.

I am very jealous of all the keep fit chatter, I can still barely walk and am really frustrated not to be continuing my training. I cannot even do my usual exercise. I have another appointment on Tuesday, so I hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Excercisers be glad this isn't your idea of keep fit!!

Drunk yoga
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning, Toots!!
First of all, I am still in the stage of just talking about exercising.... actually going to the gym... well that is a whole 'nother story.
My excuse this morning is that the ivy is choking my roses... so gotta sit and chop out the ivy, although it will be grown back in two or three months.

: I almost fell on the floor laughing at your link... I think that pigeon pose is one of my favorites.... omg!! You made my day...how nice to start off with a chuckle. You are just too awesome, Toots... what a gift in our lives!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Haha, I can't take any credit 1day, I jus saw, and shared! I just know that what normally tickles me will generate tea sprays, and chair tumbling ( and perhaps the occasional stress incontinence!!!)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I was in the talking stage for at least a month. It will happen when it happens. I have my priorities.

1. Don't drink
2. Get job
3. Take care of parents
4. Make sure baby birds don't get attacked by dogs
5. Go to gym
6. Have some fun once in awhile
7. Do a gazillion other things I want to do and be in my life
8. Never forget that Priority 1 never moves from #1 spot but all others are flexible

I didn't become a drunk overnight and I'm not going to get all my sh*t together overnight either. It would be one dull life if it worked that way. Just another easy way I don't need. I need things to push me. Builds character. I want to put the blood sweat and tears into it. It will mean more.

It's a fine balance of knowing when to take it easy and when to start something new. If I croak tomorrow I won't be all upset if I didn't get to scratch that get to the gym run a marathon off my list but I would be pretty upset if I didn't get that sobered up got some peace one checked.

xoxo
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

By the way Marcher....I love Dr Weekes. I'm going to get one of her books. My stupid debit card had to be deactivated because my account was hit with a bogus charge. Now I have to wait 5 business days for my new card before online shopping can begin again but she's first on the amazon list.

I always laugh that if anyone stoled my identity they would be really really p.o'd. They wouldn't get very far.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good morning and happy Memorial Day to my fellow Americans!

Toots, the drunk yoga link was hilarious!
Shoes, those are some rockin' priorities!
1day, I'm talking about exercising, thinking about exercising, but not yet exercising either. I'm still having a lot of motivation trouble and it's called I can't get motivated to do anything. I hope time and counseling will help me. This is by far my biggest, most serious challenge in recovery. My brain needs to kick into gear! I want it to, I'm trying to be patient and positive. I'm trying to find humor in situations and to relax and meditate. I do realize I've come a long way from the beginning of my recovery. But I don't yet have the happy back. I just want to feel happy and motivated again, like I did my whole life, before the damn pills. Aiyaiyai!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Joy girl, perhaps you can focus on small things, easily achieved.write them down and when met cross them off.? I find that helpful when I am in a state of apathy.X