Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Thanks Dee

Just trying to unburn bridges

Mick x
Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea about chords but I might one day. Morning Dee and Chuff, morning everyone.

North said the temp where he is went to 95F! I'm surprised he's still conscious!

Tonight I face my second test Saturday in a row, we're going for dinner to a friend's place and it's usually a place where I would drink pretty heavily -- for a variety of reasons. That's not happening tonight but I also know it's not going to be super easy, I've visualised the situation, I'm taking my 'recovery blanket' to knit, I'm taking some chinotto and I'm having a long warm shower before I leave. That's a lot of 'I' but I need to be focussed.

Stay safe and sober everyone.

And since Mick didn't shout it "Shotgun!" even though he got it.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a solid plan, Marcher. Hope you enjoy the evening.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Guys, I think I just screwed up and now I'm scared. I have had horrible anxiety lately and this morning it was at an all time high - I think nearing an attack. I was having breakfast with friends and one of them gave me a xanax. I took it and it magically took the anxiety away. I just looked it up on the internet as I've never had it before and I found out it's a benzo which I've seen talked about here. Does anyone know about any of this? Did I blow my sobriety? She gave me a few to take with me - should I flush them? Sorry for sounding panicked but I'm clueless. It seems like everyone I know takes them so I never gave it a thought that it could be addicting?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Duff, In my opinion, you didn't blow your sobriety, many people have Xanax prescriptions. However, I would flush them. Before taking any prescriptions you should check with a doctor first. Xanax comes in different strengths and prescribed doses, what works for your friend may be too strong for you.

My XW was on Xanax during our whole marriage, and I don't think she needed the amount she took, they can be seriously addicting.

Ken
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Guys, I think I just screwed up and now I'm scared. I have had horrible anxiety lately and this morning it was at an all time high - I think nearing an attack. I was having breakfast with friends and one of them gave me a xanax. I took it and it magically took the anxiety away. I just looked it up on the internet as I've never had it before and I found out it's a benzo which I've seen talked about here. Does anyone know about any of this? Did I blow my sobriety? She gave me a few to take with me - should I flush them? Sorry for sounding panicked but I'm clueless. It seems like everyone I know takes them so I never gave it a thought that it could be addicting?
Highly addictive, Duff - but if you've no history of abusing pills, there's no harm done. I wouldn't get yourself in a tizz about it, tbh.

But I would say before you go any where near anything like that, your doctor is the first port of call. You shouldn't be starting down that road at all without professional guidance.

Tread very carefully here.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great advice here. It's never a good idea to take someone elses prescription, Duff.

If you're having anxiety issues, see your Doc

D
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. It seems like every mom friend I have takes them and I've never given it a thought. I really couldn't believe what I read on google. Ok, so I won't freak out but am flushing the rest (ok, freaking out a little). Next task is to find a doctor...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Duffster, have you ever tried meditation? I really can't say that I have (although I did go with my neighbor to his group meditation thing a few weeks ago, primarily just for the experience), but I know many people swear by it.

If nothing else, here's a soothing website you (or anyone else who wants to unwind) can chill to -- different nature scenes and accompanying sounds, with relaxation guidance or without:

http://old.calm.com/

I wouldn't mind drifting off to sleep to the sound of the babbling brook or the little waterfall. Now close your eyes and say OMMMMMMMMMMM . . .

Hope you feel better!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That link is awesome! I want to watch it every day You know I did take a meditation class in college and it was so wonderful - I felt like I was in a safe little cocoon during every class but I just never followed up with it.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Duffster

Take nothing babe

Would you like a slice of my Victoria Sponge? (Sorry Toots.....greater need)

Love you

Mick x
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Angie (Dear Angie 98yrs)

Has just told me...."Life is full of ****...flush it"

Bless her

Mick x
Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Duffster

Been thinking about meditation and stuff....playing music.....Lennon "Wheels" keeps rolling on

Mick x
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
That link is awesome! I want to watch it every day You know I did take a meditation class in college and it was so wonderful - I felt like I was in a safe little cocoon during every class but I just never followed up with it.
Hi Duff!
In my opinion you didn't mess anything up. No big deal..just get rid of them.

The way I figure is I have plenty of time to find out what part of my feelings are just part of me returning to healthy functioning and what part might be something I need additional help with. Time will tell. That's why I use my happy face daily ritual app Some days have blue happy faces but most have yellow happy faces. As long as I don't have any drunk faces and there are more yellow ones, I'm good.

I love to lay in bed and find meditations on YouTube. I also just switched my gym membership to a new place that has the most awesome massage chairs and a red light therapy bed. That alone will get me to go every day! Coughed up for a personal trainer too. This was a tough one for me because I thought of a thousand reasons why I shouldn't be doing this like no job etc but then I thought...ya know what. I deserve to take care of me. I will make it work. This is more important now.

Take good care of yourself! All of us should be being good to ourselves right now.

xoxo
Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Duff ditto the advice from Natty and Dee. Natty especially knows what he is talking about, so step away from the pill!!!

I in no way wish to trivialise, because Duff that must have caused genuine anxiety, but I was going to make a chicken meal the other day with a can of sauce which had white wine in. I didn't because I wasn't sure if it was ok to??

Duff, definitely try meditation, but also take a page from Marchers book and try visualisation. As a driving instructor, I taught all my pupils to visualise their test scenarios and it genuinely helped.

Marcher, have fun tonight. I won't say good luck, because you don't need it, but I'm lending you a little strength.

Chuff, I know when I'm beat, Mesoso I can have a scrap with, but a centenarian? Heck I'll even come to the wedding!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mornin' Marchers,

Duff, you've gotten what I think is perfect advice. I do take a small dose of a sedative but my doc monitors it very closely. From what I've read, many of us have anxiety problems. Meditation, visualization and physical exercise all help. Many turn to therapy at some point in their recovery if they find that the anxiety is negatively affecting their new, sober lives.

Marcher, I admire the way you think through these challenges and plan ahead. "a lot of I" at this point in sobriety is a good thing, I think! We need to focus on ourselves in order to get through the early weeks/months. I think that will change as we move further along. I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way! Just don't let Chuff borrow your recovery blanket <wicked grin>.

Shoes, glad to hear you are doing something for you (besides accumulationg an Imelda Marcos-sized collection of shoes). A gym membership and personal trainer are soooo helpful. I had a personal trainer from October through April and it kept me very much on track and helped with recovery.

Have a good day to all!
Lots of love and hugs,
Sass
Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mick, please tell Miss Angie that she is a dear and that this American housewife followed her advice and those pills are now with the fish.

We might have a house full of booze but we don't have anything stronger than Advil in our cabinets so even the thought of the boys finding them was scary.

Sorry for freaking out guys - so glad you were all here with your advice and love. I think things will settle down once we move. And they have baby sitting at my gym up there. It's also time to take my recovery to the next step - talk about a wake up call!

My best friend's brother is a gp in our new town. I'm seeing him next week and I'm going to lay it all out - they say he's the best in town.

So off to the beach today to try some new meditation techniques.

Really, thanks for all of your advice and love. I feel rested today and won't kick myself over yesterday other than as areminder to stay vigilant.

Xoxo
Old 05-25-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Shoes, so happy you went with that trainer. I've gone through periods of unemployment and as you can imagine, many, many of my friends are going through it now. I used the time I had off to work out and keep in shape and it kept me motivated on my job hunt. I see a lot of my friends letting themselves go and I see they're losing motivation. You will be working soon enough and will enter that job in great shape - good stuff!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok this is going to sound odd to some people here but when I am feeling very anxious I listen to relaxation videos on youtube specifically ones called "ASMR Binaural Whisper". They're of people whispering from ear to ear and the low tone of their voices actually calm me down and in some cases they put me to sleep.

Here's a link to an article on it for those who are interested.