Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 5

Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just checking in with some Day 20 thoughts:

Cravings are still strong mid-afternoon through the evening. Exercise and a good dinner helped me get through them. Being hunger is a HUGE trigger for me, not even starving, but if I come home from work remotely hungry, I must eat right away or it's almost scary how determined I can be to drink. As soon as I eat, the craving begins to pass.

My interactions with co-workers, friends, family, and my children are so much better, more real, and more comfortable. I'm actually "present", not busy trying to hide that I've been drinking or that I'm terribly hungover.

What helps: SR, reading (anything: magazines, fiction, self-help), exercise, feelings of accomplishment, music, and being organized. I am actually enjoying just the regular things in life.

Did I mention I LOVE SLEEP?? Not in a depressed way, it just feels amazing to really, truly sleep and not pass out.

I still miss my wine at the end of the day. Some days are worse than others. Some days I plan to drink next week, or the week after. Or at a wedding I'm going to in June. But, who cares what I plan as long as I don't do it. Looking forward to NOT missing it every day. I know what it does to me, so why miss something makes me and my life so much less than it could be? Makes so sense. Addiction is just illogical I guess.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good for you forabetterlife, you now have your better life! I got a glimpse of that too before my slip at day15, I want to get to where you are at now :0)
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You should be able to copy and paste from anywhere Marcher, even a closed thread
D
In that case I'll start a war by saying I use a Mac at home and a dumb Windoze machine at work.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bedtime for thisr girl. Catch you in the morning! Stay sober.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Evening all.

I'm not too great y'know. I'm just kind of reaching out, It seems to work here for me when I do. I need to help myself, I Hope to post in the morn.

You are all too friendly and kind.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Jim. We are here for you, post in the morning, you said it yourself it helps you when you do.
Stay strong, you can do this. x
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my grandmother. Am just now catching up with all of the posts - so many!

Paul, thank you for sharing your story.

Another sober day and am happy about it. I feel so much healthier and can tell that I've lost some weight. Lots of positives to life without the booze.

Hope everyone has a great night. :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely keep fighting Jim.

D
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

((((((Jimjim)))))))
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I had a much better day yesterday,- forabetterlife I am exactly the same, I don't crave nearly as much if I'm not hungry.

I have a day off today so again feel nervous of this. I would book an extra but I'm really tired, it's only my 3rd day off this month. I would usually start with a drink, go back to bed, pick up my daughter from school, cook tea and continue to drink. It would start nice, I would make a fire and sip wine while talking to my daughter.
Then by bedtime I would be in tears because I had run out of booze. I would wake up in a panic, feeling terrible and guilty.
The only thing that would take that panic away would be a slug of wine, and so another day would begin.

Ugh I can't believe I spent my days off like that.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I can't believe I go on here before Facebook now....
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisy1 View Post
I can't believe I go on here before Facebook now....
I believe it Daisy, I go on here before I go anywhere on the Net, and I come back often during the day.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I got trapped for 5 hours in the snow after people were driving on the remote road I live on. Bonus! I had no cell phone reception and was in saddles and to far away from anything to walk. Thought I might die.. I know a little melodramatic but still, I was terrified. Finally, a random guy with a truck and a strap got me out after I flashed my lights at him. Got home, had some left over wine. This will be my fourth day one since I joined... Sorry for failing all, but I want to be honest and truly succeed. Honestly though, this experience may be exactly what I need to remind me of how fragile life is, and how fast things can go south... Kind of in shock right now...
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I come here first thing every morning, this morning I thought, wow! Not much to catch up on then I saw n
The new thread link! (Kudos chuff!!!)

Yesterfreedom, one of the first time I lapsed back in January was because I did tag get a quick enough response here. Paranoia told me no one on SR really liked me or cared, so I gave in to AV. Then of course I had all this guilt when I saw the lovely messages telling me- too late- to stay strong.
Reading here outwith my time zone, I frequently wished I could have been there to offer support to someone struggling, by the time I see the message, it has often been resolved one way or another.
I know now not to rely on immediate help here, though if anyone is on sites at the time I know I would get it, I need to make sure I have other ways to cope, re- reading old posts, urge surfing, distracting myself etc. I wasn't tooled up nearly so well last time, I am an AV terminator!!!!

Jim I hope you are ok, you have an awful lot of concerned friends here.
To all my friends and family, yes you too Trachymis, long time no hear:
Stay safe stay strong, stay sober
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you were scared percussion but glad you're ok.

I think its definitely worth thinking a little about how to better deal with fear and stress without resorting to drinking.

There's always a reason to drink - I think we need to focus on reasons not to drink.

D
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon/evening, everyone.
Here I am at day 5, not having a drink today!
I have an assessment in two hours for CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) I have been researching this and coupled with my will power it should help kick the booze's ass for good.
I will still battle it on a daily basis but this hopefully can/will change how I think about it.
I'll let you know how it goes
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I want to resort to a sober alternative, but I don't know one. I think I need to find something that is a reward after a tough time.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning, afternoon, evening everyone.

Jamie, your here that's all that matters. Happy you posted and if there is anything I can talk to you about or whatever it is PM me. Happy your back! I am thinking now I should lay off 6, 7, 8 cups of coffee a day? I think this too is affecting my sleep. I think its time for decaf coffee? =D I am on day 21/ 3 weeks alcohol free! I feel great but like I said day 3 without a cigg which I feel better already but the coffee is out of line. Feeling great besides this and I am looking forward to many great posts today.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Percussion, it is scary being shown how fragile life can be, and I am not sure, in the same circumstances I would not have done the same. That is not to say it is acceptable in any way. We have probably all turned to drink for succor, to celebrate, for company, to endure bad company, in anger..... Lets face it for an alcoholic, AV tells us it is BFF. It takes work to change our habit of turning to our BFF at times of strife. But we will, you will
You can learn from this, and before you are in such a situation again( god forbid not exactly the same) think of ways that you can cope differently so you are prepared.
Well done for coming right back and for your honesty. Get right back in the saddle and stay strong
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Clight I am a coffeehead, and have yet to find a decent tasting decaf, I just change to water mid afternoon. Good luck with the cigs, glad I kicked that one 20 years ago!